• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Whuppy

Whuppy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ortonville, MI

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

I was wondering...I have a GPS 11 scope and I was trying to use Stellarium and not having any luck. I have the proper cable and plugged it into the bottom of the hand controller. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't have a serial port so I was using a USB to Serial adapter (a cheap one at that). All the drivers are installed properly and it says "connected" but I get no response from the scope. Here's the question, my hand controller is version 1.6 and does not have the option to switch to RS232 mode. Is that necessary to work, or should I suspect the USB cable is not providing a true serial port? I've also tried all the different port combinations I could and still nothing. I should mention that I have 2 laptops, the first one doesn't have the serial port but runs stellarium great and the second one is much slower and barely runs Stellarium but does have a serial port which I used without the USB adapter. I get no response from either, so that makes me wonder if I need the option to select RS232 mode with the hand controller.

#2 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Version 1.6 doesn't need, or have, the RS232 menu option.

This is almost certainly the USB to Serial adaptor, or the serial cable. There's a Meade cable that looks identical but is wired differently.

Chris

#3 Whuppy

Whuppy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I know the rs232 option isn't in the 1.6 hand controller, I just wondered if it was necessary to operate the scope with laptop programs. As far as the cables go, I built both (pc and hc) myself. I know the mc cable works because I used it to update the mc via the pc port on the mount. I double checked checked the hc cable before and after I tried it, so I'm confident it's good.

#4 Whuppy

Whuppy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Okay, so I installed NexReomte and RTGUI and they both seem work fine. So I can assume that the cable is working correctly and the serial express card and drivers are installed properly. I've checked the com ports in the device manager and confirmed I was using the correct ports in Stellariun.

Any ideas?

#5 Whuppy

Whuppy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well guys and Gals, mystery solved! I just purchased a new Nexstar+ HC on ebay plugged it in, started Stellarium and bingo! I'm thinking the HC's with the 1.6 version firmware are the problem. The new HC is running the latest 5 something firmware.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

It's not the version of your hand controller that was the problem. I use one all the time with Stellarium and other programs.

#7 Whuppy

Whuppy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

I used it with Nexremote no problem. So if it wasn't the version (1.6) what was it? The HC itself? I tried everything under the stars to make it work with my old HC. As soon as I plugged in my new Nexstar+ , it worked no problem, never changed a thing with my drivers, usb adapter or any of the other software.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

I guess it's possible that the specific v1.6 hand controller was bad. I believe that (from some very old conversations here and on Yahoo Groups) that the very old pre v2 hand controllers did indeed have problems with the serial port. I'm not sure that all the v1 hand controllers even had a serial port on them. The v2 hand controllers were much more popular on the NexStar GPS scopes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics