CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Istar best achromat for big refractor build ?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Kunama

Kunama

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think the 8" F9 is about the biggest I would want to put on the mount, although no doubt it will carry much more weight, I still need to be able to move the thing around. At the moment I can carry the mount but the pier needs a trolley. I am guessing the all up weight will be about 150Kg or 330 lbs. When complete I hope to take the lot to starparties on a custom cradle in a trailer.

#27 RGM

RGM

Viking 1

• Loc: Burks Falls, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Bob, doubles and planetary viewing is what I want the scope for. Where did you buy yours?

Derek, I purchased mine from Canadian Telescopes. At the time they were having a sale. If you contact Mike at Istar, you might find they have a few overstocked scopes at a sale price. I believe they will cover a portion of the shipping from Florida.

#28 dan_h

dan_h

Vanguard

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Bob, doubles and planetary viewing is what I want the scope for. Where did you buy yours?

Derek, I purchased mine from Canadian Telescopes. At the time they were having a sale. If you contact Mike at Istar, you might find they have a few overstocked scopes at a sale price. I believe they will cover a portion of the shipping from Florida.

Istar currently has an ad on AM for a sale of overstock items. There are a couple of nice sized scopes available at a decent discount.

dan

#29 dlapoint

dlapoint

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Moncton NB Canada

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

thanks guys, I will look into it

#30 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just a generic question, but why not an 8" F16 for super planetary type work? is the mounting issues of such a long tube the main problem? FL would be like 3200, so not too much in terms of magnification... Just wondering why nobody builds longer FL than F12 generally?

Al

I wouldn't say that...I had a hand in builing a 6"f/15 and I build my 10"f/15.

Rob

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

I wouldn't say that...I had a hand in builing a 6"f/15 and I build my 10"f/15.

Rob

Rob:

Who made the lens for your 10 inch F/15? You didn't make that yourself did you?

Jon

#32 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Interesting photo.

I am not seeing the blue-red/orange atmospheric refraction at the bottom and top of Venus that I see with my reflectors (and apo's).

Jon

#33 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

Interesting photo.

I am not seeing the blue-red/orange atmospheric refraction at the bottom and top of Venus that I see with my reflectors (and apo's).
Jon

Jon thats because the Istar objectives are that good...really. I have a great Synta 6" f8 but am in the process of building a 6" f12 Istar scope. f12 is a long as I could go with my mount and tripod.
Rob I think I should join your refractor group.
Matt

#34 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Matt Istars are more than good...they are great. But you will still see atmosheric dispersion or aberration. I do. Just wanted to set the record straight. ;) Mike

#35 Kunama

Kunama

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Thank you all for the feedback, I have decided to go with the Istar objectives and once underway will do a thread in the ATM forum.

#36 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

;) what are you suggesting Jon ? , here is the original , sized for CN's of course .
Brian.

Interesting photo.

Jon

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics