CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"STARLIGHT-1 OWNERS"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Starsareus

Starsareus

Explorer 1

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi, I own most of the "hardware", PC Boards and misc. stuff for one of these. I need at least a copy of the schematic and hopefully a PDF of the owner's manual to complete this unit. I heard only about 200 were made, so am appealing to any possible owners for this need. This was in my Bucket List to complete! Thanks

#2 rcwolpert  Happy Birthday!

rcwolpert

Apollo

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

I might be able to get the manual and parts for you. I'll check and get back to you.

#3 quality guy

quality guy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:33 PM

Did you ever receive any of the materials you requested?

#4 Glen A W

Glen A W

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

I do have the manuals as a PDF if I can find them again!  Every year or two somebody comes looking!

Glen

Edited by Glen A W, 08 March 2015 - 11:50 PM.

#5 rcwolpert  Happy Birthday!

rcwolpert

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

I designed the Starlight-1 in ~1980, and up to a year ago I had most of the parts. We had sold about 140 of the units to amateurs and professional observatories. At this point most of them are around 35 years old, and the technology has advanced considerably from what we had to work with at that time.  I remember many of the original units being connected to Radio Shack TRS-80's!  I would be interested in hearing if any of the Starlight-1's are still in operation.  The PMT would be 35 years old, but the anode current from variable star measurements is rather low. It's possible that they can still operate, but with a higher background noise level.  Just curious.

- Bob

• Glen A W likes this

#6 quality guy

quality guy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

My has been use since 1983 when I purchased from you. I haven't been active for the last 4 years due to job/work changes, moved into oil/gas field and there is no time other than work time but changes for me are on the horizon. I am in the process of ordering an SSP-5 Optec model and donating my Starlight model to our local club and maybe kick up some interest in PEP. I have had no problems with the unit just no time to use it, I keep it in a pelican case with desiccant, Humidity % stays around 15%.

• rcwolpert likes this

#7 rcwolpert  Happy Birthday!

rcwolpert

Apollo

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:21 PM

Hi Quality Guy,

Good to hear from you and to hear that your Starlight-1 gave you no problems. 
The SSP-5 is a great photometer and likely what I would purchase at this point. They use a very good solid state detector - I know because my company sells it to them. If I were to design another photometer, I would definitely use a photodiode module. I could make it so much smaller and so much lighter with the current technology.

- Bob

• Glen A W likes this

#8 Glen A W

Glen A W

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

My Starlight-1 still works fine, so far as I know.  I haven't actually used it in three or four years, due to not having enough time.  Mine is the one that was featured in a well-known book of about thirty years ago, showing its custom made 6502-based computer and remote control.

Glen

• rcwolpert likes this

#9 rcwolpert  Happy Birthday!

rcwolpert

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the report, Glen! I seem to remember something about that 6502 remote control system. I need to look back though my old photometry books.

- Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics