Atlas EQ-G and new Synscan polar re-align
Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:57 PM
1. Level the tripod of the EQ GOTO mount and point to the north.
2. Rough align the RA axis of the mount to the celestial polar axis by pointing to the north and setting the latitude on the EQ mount.
3. Do a 2-Star alignment or 3-Star alignment with the SynScan hand control. 3-Star alignment is recommended for better accuracy and error compensation. If use 2-Star alignment to align the GOTO mount, please make sure that the “cone error” is eliminated.
4. After completing the Star alignment, browse to “Polar Re-align.>” submenu under Setup\Alignment menu of the hand control and then press ENTER.
5. The hand control will prompt, “Select any star:” and provide a list of stars, which can be used as the reference star for the Polar Re-alignment. Select a star from the list and press ENTER. The EQ Telescope GOTO mount will slew and point to the selected object.
6. When the hand control prompt, “ALIGN OBJECT ”, use the directional keys to center the selected reference star to the center of the finder scope and then to the center of the eyepiece. When done, press ENTER to confirm. The hand control will prompt the displacements of polar misalignment of the EQ mount, Mel and Maz, in both elevation and azimuth directions respectively.
7. Press ENTER and then the mount will slew to the same reference star again, but the reference star will not locate at the center of the eyepiece at this moment. Try to use the Altitude Adjustment T-bolts and the Azimuth Adjustment Knobs to adjust the mount as doing the adjustment for polar alignment, but just draw back and center the reference star to the center of the eyepiece. In this procedure, you cannot use the directional keys to center the object and the directional keys are disabled to driving the motors.
8. When finish the adjustment of the mount for the Polar Re-alignment. Press ENTER to confirm and check the new calculated polar misalignment, Mel and Maz. Press ENTER to exit Polar Re-alignment function. During these Polar Re-alignment procedures, you may press ESC to go back to previous step, if necessary.
9. Check the polar re-alignment result. You may repeat the Polar Re-alignment procedures from step 3 to step 8 to get better polar alignment, if it is necessary.
Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:54 AM
Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:28 AM
Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:01 AM
Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:25 PM
Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:48 PM
By the way. I've tried the 3-star, polar, 3-star. Tried just about everything. Always by the second to third polar align star it's so far off as not in the field of view of a 6x30 finder. The last time was 30 and 40 degrees for both axis. I won't try again.
Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:19 AM