advertising the club during outreach

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

A member bought this up to me and I thought it was a good idea, just wanted to see if anyone else had tried it, or what people's impressions were.

We had a few magnets our club sold with our club logo on them. They would stick to a metal dob or a refrigerator and that was about it. The point was to let anyone know who we were and our website if they didn't feel like asking, or to point out the spelling for anyone that did ask. Ultimately steer a few more people to our website.

A member suggested getting some window cling logos made up, that would hopefully stick to the OTA's of the other scopes. Absolutely brilliant, because there is no way I'd put a real sticker on my scope.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I need to find a supplier that can make me a dozen or so, but but I think this is a good way to "tag" our members scopes and hopefully drive a little more traffic to our website.

Jim

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Our club has a banner we hang between two metal stakes durin outreach events. Simple and easy to see, even from passing cars. Any local sign company can make one to order.

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

I love the magnet and cling ideas. Classy and low-key.

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Beats getting an e-mail your dark site is closed due to rattlesnake infestation...........

Like the magnet idea!

#5 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

My scope always has a clear plastic brochure holder velcro-attached to one of the mount legs and filled with club brochures. People can take one if they like. 20 or so usually disappear in an evening.

#6 Astrosetz

Astrosetz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I really like the magnet and cling idea! Our club has the typical brochure/schedule handout, but what really works great is business cards with the club name, website and phone number. They are super-cheap, easy to hand out and easy for people to put into a pocket, purse or wallet.

#7 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Yeah we do that too. And your right, something they can take with them to remind them of our website when they get home is a good thing.

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Magnetic stickers are a great idea. Our club has business cards made to pass out. Flyers, public service spots and so on help get the word out. We have the local TV weathermen visit an outing. Then, they pass some astronomy and club information during the weather casts.

#9 ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC, Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

We do the following to advertise the club in order or importance:

1. Event Email Signup Sheet - clipboard with sheet where people can enter their name, email and phone number.

2. Business cards: very inexpensive and portable - members can carry them in their wallet and give to others.

3.Moon Card: postcard with a moon photo (shot by one of our members) on one side and some moon facts and our web site address on the other.

We have found these work great.

#10 sg6

sg6

Viking 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

The magnetic stickers seem a good idea. Although the cling stickers on a scope sound good I cannot say I ever read anything on anyones scope - also it will likely be dark and they are not then easy to see and get details off of.

Reasonable business cards are good, at a recent talk the presenter left some very small business cards for people to take so they could look up information on the web. They were in effect a business card halved horizontally.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics