Tips for cleaning & lubrication of ES Twilight II

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Question for owners of the Explore Scientific Twilight II altazimuth mount; in lieu of factory instructions, what do you recommend for disassembly, cleaning, and lubrication of the bearings/bushings in both axes of this mount???

#2 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

I cant help you with the disassembly but i can say you should use Militec-1 grease when you reassemble. It is by far the best grease i have used on precision gear.

http://www.militec-1.com/

obin :cool:

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I cant help you with the disassembly but i can say you should use Militec-1 grease when you reassemble. It is by far the best grease i have used on precision gear.

Can you tell us why you like that grease so much? I've never heard of it until now. Most of the time I hear people swear by Superlube Synthetic.

#4 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Can you tell us why you like that grease so much? I've never heard of it until now. Most of the time I hear people swear by Superlube Synthetic.

I am an aircraft mechanic and i have worked with many expensive synthetic lubricants. The Militec-1 grease works much better and lasts longer than others we have exposed to various torture tests. If you follow the instructions for Militec-1 you are supposed to heat it up and let the metal absorb it. Once it is treated the grease lasts for a very long time under extreme usage. Though we do not use it on the aircraft we used it with weapons instead of using TW25. I have used it to lubricate weapons which will stay in storage for a long time. It simply works and works well even in sandy, dirty, and dusty environments. In clean environments it simply excels. For telescopes i would not use anything else.

obin :grin:

#5 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease, the pink stuff, for all kinds of stuff including my mounts. It's beaten or compared well with all the others in all the tests I've seen. I would think all 3 of these Superlube, Militec-1 and Mobil 1 are fine for mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics