• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my solar instrument from an EON120 to a 152mm refractor. I've narrowed it down to a Celestron 6" F/8 refractor. I would like to put the ota on my Atlas EQ6 mount. I would be adding an electric focuser, plus using a Baader Herschel wedge. Obviously I have no need to add a finder scope.

The mount has recently been hyper tuned (thanks Ed!) and I added a 3rd party tripod spreader. I would be using it almost exclusively for solar imaging at about F/24-F/32.

I know the scope comes with a mount that isn't as good as the EQ6 and my mount held a TOA130 for a while as I did solar and DSO imaging.

I'm pretty sure I know my answer, but I take the opinions of the folks in here pretty seriously.

I guess you all know the question. Do you feel the mount will handle the OTA for my plans for it?

Thanks!
Paul

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

With a re-enforced spreader it should be fine.

If you are imaging, the best way to ensure that it is fine is to lower the legs on the tripod as much as you can. Since you will not be trying to sit there, this should be OK.

It I the tripod and not the mount that is the main problem with big refractors. When you extend them to the height necessary to visual observing near zenith, you configure it for the least stability because the legs are more prone to vibrate.

I think it would be fine for this though if there is no wind.

#3 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

+1 The weak link with the Atlas is the tripod. For visual use, I had an adapter made that allowed me to use mine on an Astro-Physics Portable Pier. If you are imaging, do as Ed says and shorten the legs. That should work fine.

Cheers,

Ron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics