Tasco 12TE: Using 1.25 eyepieces w/ a .965 focuser

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#51 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

• Loc: California

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Here's a photo of the focuser drawtube with threads for the visual back. I'm definitely in the market for a shorter visual back to increase in-focus.

Attached Files

#52 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

One more...

Attached Files

#53 ryanr256

ryanr256

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Dang, that's not good. The back from ebay will have external threads. You tube has external threads. They won't go together. :-(

-Bob

#54 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hey Eric ! I see your dilemma. I know if Mel has one he will send it to you, but if he doesn't , let me know. I have one that came from a focuser with a .965 size drawtube with outside threads like yours. Here's a pic. This one is a little bit over 1/2 " thick, with more than 1/4" thread and is not made of dos plastica. G:cool:

Attached Files

#55 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

Hey Eric ! I see your dilemma. I know if Mel has one he will send it to you, but if he doesn't , let me know. I have one that came from a focuser with a .965 size drawtube with outside threads like yours. Here's a pic. This one is a little bit over 1/2 " thick, with more than 1/4" thread and is not made of dos plastica. G:cool:

Hello G:cool:

That looks very promising indeed-- thanks! Provided the threads match, the specs look spot on.

#56 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hello G:cool:

That looks very promising indeed-- thanks! Provided the threads match, the specs look spot on.

Hi Eric,

I was hoping to find a visual back before leaving to go on my fishing trip, but I did not have time to check. Nevertheless, upon my returned from the trip, I checked and I found one. I can ship it to you once I have your mailing address, which you can PM me with.

BTW - The fishing trip was awesome!

Thanks Mel

#57 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

PM sent.

#58 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

Here is a photo of the visual back I will be sending. Basically, it is the same as the one Gary shared a photo of. I hope it moves your eyepiece close enough to achieve sharp focus.

Mel

Attached Files

#59 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:44 AM

Thanks Mel. I have enjoyed reading about your ATM projects and looking at the pictures of your fantastic builds that you've posted here on CN. They've been an inspiration for me.

Terra :flower:

I must say, if I am not being too forward, you are the queen, my dear! You inspire us all. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mel

#60 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thank you. Wow. I just love our hobby and I love this group. :o

:flower: :flower: :flower:

Terra

#61 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

You are welcome, your highness! :bow: ...and I concur with your sentiments.

BTW - The visusl back is on its way across country to a new home. I hope it will resolve Eric's issue by getting the eyepiece closer to the focal plane. I look forward to reading the results.

Mel

#62 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Thanks Mel. I have enjoyed reading about your ATM projects and looking at the pictures of your fantastic builds that you've posted here on CN. They've been an inspiration for me.

Mel,

Started to explore your website, and I too have enjoyed learning about your projects and resources. For starters, I had been looking for an editable observer data file, and yours seems like it will fit my needs. I'll be checking out more of your site soon. Thanks!

Hey Eric,

I failed to thank you for utilizing the observer's data sheet I compiled and posted on my website for download for amateurs looking for a comprehensive form to record their memorable sketched and astrophotographic moments. Thank You so very much! It makes me so happy to see the website serving the purpose I intended it to perform. One of these days, and as my time permits, I will be instilling improvements to make it more current.

Thanks again,

Mel

#63 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best forum on CN and the best online astronomical community because we have the best, most generous people here in Classics. Classics on CN is a total Class Act! :bow:

#64 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is the best forum on CN and the best online astronomical community because we have the best, most generous people here in Classics. Classics on CN is a total Class Act! :bow:

You can say that again! :grin: ;)

Mel

#65 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Here is a photo of the visual back I will be sending. Basically, it is the same as the one Gary shared a photo of. I hope it moves your eyepiece close enough to achieve sharp focus.

Mel

The visual back (VB) that Mel so generously sent has arrived. The focuser drawtube fits inside the VB, but the VB does not thread onto the drawtube. I'm thinking about possible alternative ways to secure the VB. Any suggestions?

Attached Files

#66 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Another view:

Attached Files

#67 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

One more:

Attached Files

#68 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

My old try and true method to take up the slack between the draw tube and vb would be to add a small piece of paper, perhaps a little strip, between the male and female threads of the draw tube and vb. Use trial and error on the strip size but it should be fair size. Works every time. Just remember to cut off any of the exposed paper,and don't use too big a piece that may obstruct the light path. G:cool:

#69 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Eric,

I would go with the aluminum tape you suggested in the PM. One layer should prove sufficient. If it is too much, then use small strips spaced evenly around the threads.

Mel

#70 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

I was able to secure the visual back to the focuser drawtube. I used a thin strip of Scotch foam mounting tape over the bottom one-third of the VB threads. This decreased the inside diameter of the VB while also providing an adhesive on both sides. Foam mounting tape is compressible, and removable in case I needed to back out of this solution.

The VB then fit snugly over the drawtube, with the adhesive of the foam tape along the bottom one-third. Next, I cut a thin strip of aluminum foil tape to join the top of the VB to the top of the drawtube. The VB seems reasonably secure and the drawtube retracts as far as possible.

Attached Files

#71 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

Now I just need to find a machinist to cut 16mm (.63 in.) off the barrel of the prism diagonal. And if focus isn't reached after all that, I guess I'll move to Alaska, and you'll never hear from me again! :)

Attached Files

#72 fjs

fjs

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les États-Unis

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

And if focus isn't reached after all that, I guess I'll move to Alaska, and you'll never hear from me again! :)

No don't! That's extreme. You can move to Alaska, change your e-mail address, then change your ID, and continue to post here! :D

#73 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Maybe I missed something earlier, but why are there are two different labels on the focuser, each with the same basic information, but one says China, the other Japan??? I've never seen such a thing?

#74 SpaceNetworks

SpaceNetworks

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

The replacement focuser is new, from China. I added the badge from the original to ID the rest of the scope for what it is, ca. 1959 Circle T from Japan.

#75 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Ah ha! That explains it. :foreheadslap:

Good job Eric,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics