"Lessons from the Masters"...first impressions

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 WhistleStop

WhistleStop

Apollo

• Loc: Grafton, Ontario

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

The book arrived yesterday and I had a wonderful night time read (it was cloudy). Being left handed I went to some of the back chapters first :).
What a delight !!...read with much interest Rob Gendler's chapter on framing objects and Babak Tafreshi's chapter on Earth and Sky photography. Top knotch writing and advice !
This book hits all the right notes...excellent text for those that dream of migrating from one aspect of astrophotography to another...all in one source.
I'm impressed ! I will probably buy another copy (as any astrophotographer knows you need two of everything). Will also get a digital copy for my tablet.
I bow to the masters :bow:...thanks for the wealth of information.
Cheers
Lynn

#2 vpcirc

vpcirc

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Merced CA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm glad I, the guy who knows nothing, recommended it on here when I saw it. I will always take my advice from those who've gone before me and their results show me they know what they're talking about. No sense trying to reinvent the wheel when so many top professionals are willing to share their practices to produce such beautiful images!

#3 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

So the March 2014 shipping date was an error by Amazon? Or did you sail across the lake and get one here? Or did the publisher get the problem solved?

Rick

#4 vpcirc

vpcirc

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

Rick I contacted Rob Gendler, his publisher contacted Amazon Canada to get it corrected

#5 WhistleStop

WhistleStop

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hi Rick
I was in contact with Rob Gendler (as were others) and mentioned the issue with Amazon.ca. He kindly contact the publisher and within 48 hours the book was on its way. Hopefully all the Canadian orders get the same treatment. The book is a delight... gems at every turn.
Cheers
Lynn

#6 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I was told my copy wouldn't arrive until the 18th of the month but it came today. Now to find time to read it. A rainy day here but I'm so far behind on the "honey do" chores I better do a few of those first. At least mine wasn't "abridged" by cutting off the top inch or two.

Rick

#7 WhistleStop

WhistleStop

Apollo

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think the book is great...Chapter One however can be skipped as it made my eyes cross ( don't do math ! )...the gems lie in Chapter 2 and beyond.... It is very well written.
Glad you didn't get an 'abridged' edition :).
Enjoy the read .
A MUST book in my humble opinion... long overdue.
Cheers
Lynn

#8 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

looks pretty good, i just read the "look inside" on amazon and had been expecting another "here's how to do xyz in photoshop" but it looks like it covers lots of things in general and the examples use lots of different software.

ordered...

rob

#9 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Not sure how I missed this. I will order it soon!
Thanks for the pointer

Andy

#10 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the reminder; completely forgot about it coming out. Just ordered it from Amazon. I love my ebooks, but my astro books are all old school paper.

Paul

#11 kozzina

kozzina

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Prague

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:41 AM

I bought this book in before few days for kindle. Its great book, i can recommend it to everyone ;)

#12 vdb

vdb

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Is there an iPad version?

#13 raf1

raf1

Viking 1

• Loc: south Texas

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Install the Kindle app for iPad and you are gtg.

#14 Ken Crawford

Ken Crawford

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Camino, CA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

Rob worked very hard on this book in not only coming up with the concept but also working with all the authors. You can imagine what that took alone but there is the editing of each chapter, getting the images correct, content laid out, and the list goes on and on. Then the long hours of working with the publisher for the final result. Rob's countess hours of this labor of love have paid off and I am very proud of what he has put together.

I look forward to hosting him at AIC2013 next month . . .

#15 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

you can imagine what that took alone but there is the editing of each chapter, getting the images correct, content laid out, and the list goes on and on.

I wish he did a better job editing chapter 1. The inclusion of f-ratio myth mumblings is inexcusable. This goes to show that one shouldn't take seriously books written by amateurs for amateurs.

#16 Ken Crawford

Ken Crawford

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Camino, CA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Of course you are free to disagree with any or all of what is written in any of the chapters. The “reality” is that Stan has contributed more to amateur astrophotography that most of us here!

#17 vpcirc

vpcirc

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

you can imagine what that took alone but there is the editing of each chapter, getting the images correct, content laid out, and the list goes on and on.

I wish he did a better job editing chapter 1. The inclusion of f-ratio myth mumblings is inexcusable. This goes to show that one shouldn't take seriously books written by amateurs for amateurs.

Are you saying Robert Gendler is an amateur? just because you don't agree with Stan Moore is hardly a reason to make that comment. Gendler is one of the top and most respected imagers in the world. NASA sure seems to think he knows what he's doing.

http://www.nasa.gov/...ience/m106.html

#18 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

I took the risk and ordered a Kindle version. This book seems to be more dedicated to Photoshop users. I use PixInsight and don't know PS. I wish each chapter used at least two processing tools since PixInsight is getting extremely popular and I have a hard time understanding PS tools described in this book.

If you are a heavy PS users, this book may be good for you. Not sure about heavy PixInsight users. I hope Amazon has a refund policy for Kindle users.

Peter

#19 vpcirc

vpcirc

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Peter, very few people are trying to finish a complete image in PI yet. Many use GIMP as an alternative to PS, but PS isn't quite ready for final finishing work. The nice thing is, book teaches you how to use those tools in PS that you didn't know how to use.

#20 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

Still I think the description about the book should have been more accurate before purchasing the book. Anyway I was able to get a refund for the Kindle version. I guess I'll have to wait for another book that's more dedicated to PixInsight.

Peter

#21 JWalk

JWalk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

I really think PS gives you more control over what you want to do. I start with PI and finish in PS. Starting in PI seems nice. I do the heavy lifting in PI and decon. I know PS is expensive but it really works. Lightroom also has some amazing features to "finish" an image, especially with respect to color.

#22 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

mike, that's just wrong.

the 'look inside' didn't seem so PS-centric. that's too bad. anyway i'm sure i'll still learn something reading it.. i hope :)

#23 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

I received mine after a lengthy wait. It was sent priority post by Amazon.ca and I got a decent letter of apology from Amazon.

The main reason I purchased Photoshop (CS 5, then 6) was because most tutorials, whether it be on YouTube or via publication are based on Photoshop. PaintShopPro and PixInSight can probably do all that the astro imager needs but the lack of tutorials is what hampers the use of these programs.

I have skimmed through the book in the "reading room" a few times and have deemed it to be a very handy companion in furthering my astro imaging processing.

A great thank you to Robert Gendler & Co. for the great work for a great hobby!

#24 vpcirc

vpcirc

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Still I think the description about the book should have been more accurate before purchasing the book. Anyway I was able to get a refund for the Kindle version. I guess I'll have to wait for another book that's more dedicated to PixInsight.

Peter

Last year Wodaski said he was working on one, but the program is so powerful and complex I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. The program is also still evolving, so maybe you can't write a book yet? I do believe when the program is done, nothing will touch it.

#25 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

i think the core paradigm of PI has not changed "that much" since v 1.6. the changes since then have been the addition of a bunch of new processes, lots of very useful 3rd party scripts, and of course the project save/restore feature which is IMO completely awesome. my sky conditions dictate multi-night projects and it's great to be able to come right back to exactly where i left off on one project or other.

so someone totally could write a book at this point.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics