31 replies to this topic

#26 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Apparently that's a practical joke at the forum's expense:

http://www.sonicelec...-1-SMD-VM1.html

Based on that, I suggest withholding any judgement based on the narrative above.

-Rich

Very funny... I loved the video of the guy with the tats

The sad truth is that Meade fans (for some reason) are so desperate for some good news from the blue and silver company that they will almost believe anything right now.

#27 intercept789

intercept789

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Anything new at all, on either of these two mounts? Especially the LX80 since that seems to be the biggest question mark. Any new news with Meade?

#28 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Yep...

http://www.cloudynig...6139235/page...

#29 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

Yep...

http://www.cloudynig...6139235/page...

The only news in that thread about the LX80 is the complete lack of news (and comment) in Meade's latest press release about the LX80. Some say that this is since a new mount is coming to replace it and the LX80 is dead and no longer being built... But there is no way to verify any of this.

#30 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

And don't you think that is relevant? I certainly do.

I, personally, would never consider buying an LX80.

#31 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

The fact is we don't know what that means... It could be a simple oversight by the new Meade Management. It could mean that the other products on that list are simply a higher priority or it could mean the mount is "done"

The truth is that this mount was "done" before it was even offered for sale.

As for would I buy one? I actually tried to buy one just before they were first released and I was talked out of that by my local Meade dealer and some rather sarcastic unnamed posters on this forum.

I am forever grateful to both the dealer and to the Meade fans who didn't like my "Whats the deal with this launch" questions. Together they helped me dodge a big bullet with this problematic mount.

#32 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

The fact is we don't know what that means... It could be a simple oversight by the new Meade Management. It could mean that the other products on that list are simply a higher priority

The items on the list are those which are produced by Meade and which they intend to continue to produce. Meade never made the LX80 and the new owners are unlikely to want to buy from competing Chinese companies. Any replacement will probably be a Meade-produced mount. That will take time.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics