Photo

I think I am going to buy the ZEQ25GT unless.....

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

• Loc: Woodbridge, VA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

Unless anyone has a better reason to get the AVX. After doing research, it seems like they are very much equals. However, for only $50 more, the ZEQ comes with the polar scope and has GPS, unlike the AVX which has GPS as an add on. Am I right on this?

I will be using it to image with the AT65EDQ. having just sold my astrotrac to kick start funds, I'm half way there. If anyone needs a manfrotto 410 geared head, I'm even closer. Sorry, shameless marketing.

Anyhow, the only con of the ZEQ I can find is the smaller diameter legs. For a 5lb scope with a D800 and eventual autoguider, I don't know that it will make that much difference.

On the pro side, it matches my AT65EDQ. Kidding, of course.

I know this has been a continual debate, and I don't mean to :beat:

I just need some people with more experince than myself offer some insight and make me feel like I am making a good decision.

Thanks.

#2 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

I just went through the same process. My z25 arrived today but the tripod seems to be still on the delivery truck. For starters, I'm going to use a WO ZS66 so it is very close to your AT65EDQ. I went with the z25 because of the light weight and the generally positive reviews.

The only negative I've seen is that a lot of the iOptron mounts seem to have mostly minor problems when they first arrive. The excellent customer support should make up for any of those.

Here it is set up on a little tripod I had on hand until the real thing gets delivered.

Go for it!

Attached Files

#3 MikeML

MikeML

Viking 1

• Loc: NJ

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

However, for only $50 more, the ZEQ comes with the polar scope and has GPS, unlike the AVX which has GPS as an add on. Am I right on this?

I was thinking of getting a ZEQ25GT mount myself, a really light weight mount for imaging. I figure I already have a Vixen GP mount fitted with the Celestron goto and Berebach tripod. It's a fairly light weight set-up, don't think I'd be gaining much.

The Celestron mounts have a few features that I don't know whether the Ioptron mounthas anything equivalent or not.

1. Cone error correction, useful if you use more than one optical tube on the mount.
2. All Star Polar Alignment. Probably as good as any polar scope and more useful, you can polar align without Polaris
3. Precise Goto. Slews to a nearby bright star, this way I can correct any pointing error and have a bright star to focus on in one shot.

YMMV

#4 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

yes, a polar scope is like a boat.anchor to a celestron aspa, no polar scope needed and polaris does not even have to be in view
kasey

#5 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

You don't need a GPS, get a free smartphone app to calculate your GPS and put it in the hand controller. Done.

ASPA is pretty awesome.

One last positive for the AVX, you can use the new Starsense accessory with it, which you might want to look into.

But honestly, either mount will do the job for you with the AT65EDQ. :)

#6 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

ASPA is great. I use it in a place where I can't even see Polaris. I just posted my first astrophoto results in the AVX thread.

#7 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'm still scratching my head over the ZEQ25GT's peculiar configuration. That would seem to make tracking near the meridian difficult, with the back end of the telescope closer to the tripod.

-Rich

#8 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Now I am doubting my decision. This is a coin toss almost.

#9 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

The ZEQ25 doesn't have PEC.

#10 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

The ZEQ25 doesn't have PEC.

Orly,

The ZEQ25 has PEC - you just can't save it. I just got my mount today and haven't tried much with it yet but there is a PEC option on the menu.

Mike

#11 Bill McNeal

Bill McNeal

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

From what I've read, permanent PEC is overrated since most auto guide anyway.

I chose the ZEQ25 for its weight. Heavy mounts sap motivation to use.

#12 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

From what I've read, permanent PEC is overrated since most auto guide anyway.

I chose the ZEQ25 for its weight. Heavy mounts sap motivation to use.

+1 on the weight. I just finished a short session and carried the mount, tripod and scope in to the garage in one trip. That was the main reason I went with the zEQ25 also.

#13 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

I meant permanent PEC. The value of non-permanent PEC is dubious at best. This is like Meade vs Celestron in the 1990s. I really don't see why some manufacturers bother to say they have PEC when it can't be saved.

And whatever may be said about autoguiding, reducing PE is certainly worthwhile (otherwise AP and SB would be out of business!)

Lower PE allows longer guiding exposures (eliminates chasing the seeing) and less guiding corrections.

#14 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

yes, a polar scope is like a boat.anchor to a celestron aspa, no polar scope needed and polaris does not even have to be in view
kasey

Similiarly, with the ZEQ25, you have the Multi star align which works just as well. You can then Polar align if you wish. Haven't tested for imaging yet but Paul Chasse has taken some unguided images which have come out well.

I also plonked the heavy MAK 150 with 2" WO diagonal and EP to test slewing and the mount handled well.

Attached Files

#15 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I *just* went with a ZEQ25 myself (other options where to get my old CG5 hyper-tuned or an AVX).

While without a doubt the hand controller is not as nice as the Celestron system I think I made the correct choice anyway just due to the mechanical/physical properties of the ZEQ25. First night out excellent guiding in both RA and DEC. :)

I never got consistently good DEC guiding out of my CG-5, and while I admit I have never used the AVX as I understand it the DEC axis on that mount is mechanically similar to the older CG-5 so that makes me suspicious of it.

#16 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have heard many good things on the ZEQ25;;; some have issues but there are ways to improve it from reading in here, Supposed to be an upgrade kit? Or they are now shipped with the kit installed? Looks like a real nice mount.
Kasey

#17 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

People have issues with the Celestrons, too.

At these price levels, there are going to be some problems with some mounts...but either the iOptron or the Celestron is a pretty safe bet. ;)

#18 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

+1 ZEQ25
It just works well for me. I got an iEQ45 because I didn't want the weight of a heavier mount. Now I find that the lighter, easier to balance ZEQ25 handles most needs.

#19 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

I will say right now that if I hadn't bought a VX, it would have been the iOptron all the way. As it was, I didn't want to learn a new system and I wanted to continue using NexRemote. But I am impressed by the iOptron GEMs.

#20 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

If it were me I would have to go with the ZEQ25GT becouse of just what you said that it comes with the Polar Scope and the GPS , Thats a few Hundred $$$ savings right there and many people say they make real good stuff .It looks like its very well made, Yes I would give them a go . :waytogo:

#21 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

I think I am getting the ZEQ when the funds are there. Nothing against celestron, as I Have a CPC 925 and love it. I just need a light and portable imaging system. The Z looks to fit the bill for it.

#22 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

I wonder why it doesn't have permanent PEC at this late date.

The ieq45 is a lot like a mini- Mach 1. Does it have permanent PEC?

-Rich

#23 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Rich,

I believe the iEQ30 and 45 both can save PEC data. The zEQ25 uses a different hand controller - the same one as the Smart EQ. That seems to be the difference. I can't imagine WHY it would be omitted except to give the higher priced mounts a feature the z25 doesn't have. If the z25 used the same HC as the iEQ30, I doubt that they would sell many 30s.

#24 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

permanent PEC requires an indexer on the RA worm. that, more than a handset swap, would allow implementation of this feature.

#25 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

permanent PEC requires an indexer on the RA worm. that, more than a handset swap, would allow implementation of this feature.

Thanks Orly.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics