NexStar 5SE hand control language
Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:35 AM
I'm very new to this and I'm guessing someone has asked this before so please excuse me if that is the case.
I recently bought a brand new Celestron NexStar 5se for an extremely good price on Ebay (less than half price!). When it arrived I opened everything up and thought all was good, however when I got to the setup I found the hand control is in German. Is there a way to change this?
I've read that you can somehow change to an earlier firmware to get it in to English but I have no idea on how to do this.
Also someone has offered me a GoTo hand controller from a CG5 scope with the same six stripe connection, does anyone know if that will work as a straight swap? It's a bit confusing as their seem to be lots of different models of hand controller from Celestron but they all look the same.
Any help would really be appreciated to a newbie who want's to get in to Astronomy and Astrophotography. Thanks in advance!
Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:51 AM
If you have the NextStar+ controller you'll need the CFM utility from Celestron.com.
If you have the v4 controller you'll need the HCupdate.exe utility from Celestron
Info on how to perform the upgrade is on Celestron.com or www.nexstarsite.com
About the hand controller from the CG-5. Yes you can certainly use it BUT you must upgrade the firmware in the controller first. If it's a v4 controller then you'll need to use the NXS4.xx firmware (that choice is offered when you run HCupdate). If it's a NexStar+ controller when you run the CFM utility you'll see the option for alt az mounts (vs gem style mounts). There is no difference in the hand controller hardware, it's all about which of the two firmware types is loaded (either for alt az or gem style mounts) and then which mount they are plugged into (the controller senses which type of mount it's plugged into and acts accordingly).
Oh and welcome to CN.
Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:40 AM
I have a version 4 hand controller, My understanding reading online is that:
To upgrade version 4 non-English hand control will not load English versions of firmware higher than 4.13.
If you load an English version higher than 4.13 on a non-English hand control, the hand control will display "Invalid Language" when you start up the scope after the upgrade and will no longer work.
Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:06 AM
1) run the scope with 4.13 and don't worry about it (not a big issue, the firmware works fine, you'll just not have a few additional features). As an additional capability you can also control the scope via a PC with a planetarium/scope control application (CdC, Stellarium, The Sky, etc.) to gain some additional functionality.
2) run Nexremote from a PC. NexRemote replaces the function of the real hand controller. You'll be able to run the latest v4 firmware (4.21). NexRemote.exe is downloaded from the Celestron website.
3) advertise to see if someone in Germany will want your existing hand controller and you can buy a new/used model over here. New would be an alt az version of the NexStar+, used would be any v4.xx controller that may require you to upgrade the firmware to the NXS versions I mentioned earlier.
Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:44 PM
4) learn German ;-)
You now have a few choices.
1) run the scope with 4.13 ...
2) run Nexremote from a PC. ...
3) advertise to see if someone in Germany will want your existing hand controller ...