Photo

The Teeter has its day! Or Night I should say!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

I thought it was going to be a wash so I made a nice cocktail and settled in for the night... (clouds all day and right into the evening)  And the clear sky chart said don't bother until 4:00 am my friend...But I wanted to check one last time after my nice Manhattan, so I stepped out about 10:30 and the clouds were quickly dissolving... OH BABY!!! So I went for it!

Got all set up by 11:00, dressed, aligned, and working the scope by 11:30. It worked perfectly! No problems, all objects were easily found, and no run away scope like last set up... Totally user error by the way. Practice makes perfect, so to prepare I spent the last cloudy weekend in the basement with the IPad as a false sky and made all alignments that way. And all seemed to be working well and it gave me the confidence and know how to run the scope correctly this observing session. I even took the time to set up my SkyFi so I could use the iPad as my pointing device.

With all those items taken care of the previous weekend I was ready to really use the scope. I took a good look at Andromeda Galaxy, Pinwheel Galaxy, Uranus, and the open cluster Pleiades. I have to say Andromeda, when you are fully dark eye adapted I could actually see some structure. Not the faint grey smudge from the old 8". It was impressive if you really understood what you were looking at. If the weather cooperates next weekend I plan on showing my brother some of these sights since he will be visiting. He was up a month ago and we took the scope out but unfortunately I didn't really have a handle on the Go To so I had a few, well more than a few, run away scope slews which I had to preform emergency stops before the upper tube assembly started to plow into the ground. We both laughed and figured it was to be expected with something new and more complicated. We dubbed it our China Syndrome moments. Thankfully he was patient enough to let me fuss about for the 3 hours were out, not complaining once... Beer does help, and having a wonderful glistening sky does as well. I did manage to at least show him some globular clusters and he was quite impressed... You just wait my Bro! I got it all set now!

Back to last night...There was a sort of mini meteor shower up here. Over an hour I must have seen 15 to 20 meteors streaking across the sky between 1:00 and 2:00. A couple of them left a nice trail behind lasting about a half of second. And there was a succession of 3 in a row all directions within 2-3 seconds of each other. It kind of startled me! More exhilaration than actual fear I guess...

I was out until 4:00 as the sky was just full of jewels! And I was driving the scope from the iPad. It all worked flawlessly. Finally success and confidence! What a good feeling!

So I had a good session and feel I am starting to see what the 15" Teeter can do....Can't wait for the next weekend!

So all in all not bad when I thought it was going to be a No Go.... Glad I set up as it was a wonderful night! Goes to show you that you never know so just get out there and do it!

Went to bed a happy man even if it was 4:30 in the morning... But I don't care! :)

#2 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Went to bed a happy man even if it was 4:30 in the morning... But I don't care!

Why not just call in sick? :grin:

#3 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Went to bed a happy man even if it was 4:30 in the morning... But I don't care!

Why not just call in sick? :grin:

Ahh good man! Good man...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics