The Sidewalk Astronomer - Profile of Herman Heyn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Found this story yesterday. Herman Heyn is Baltimore’s local sidewalk astronomer. He’s out about 60 nights a year – it used to be three or four times a week.

Read the full story at:
http://www.lastwordo...omer-a-profile/

Ajay
Edit: Fixed the link. Sorry about that.

#2 Doug Reilly

Doug Reilly

Viking 1

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for introducing us to Herman...sounds like another now not unsung hero of astronomy and science.

#3 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

As alluded to in the article, sidewalk astronomy is a very old pursuit. Many great American cities of the past had their own reliable examples, often accompanied by a very large telescope, availing the public of views of the heavens. This was particularly true from the mid 19th century through the early 20th. At one point in the 1920's or 30's Time Square in NYC regularly saw a gentleman setting up his 12" long-focus refractor(!) for public viewing at 5 or 10 cents a look.

BrooksObs

#4 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

I didn't know we could charge money? I think I'd share a lot fewer views of the night sky if I charged money. I do it for the kid that walks away and I hear him tell his parents "I want to be an astronaut." Well, that and the groupies.

Jim

#5 Pharquart

Pharquart

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southwest Minneapolis Metro

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I didn't know we could charge money? I think I'd share a lot fewer views of the night sky if I charged money. I do it for the kid that walks away and I hear him tell his parents "I want to be an astronaut." Well, that and the groupies.

You get groupies??? Wow! I need to come to your city!

I don't charge, and I never will. However, after multiple suggestions that I set out a tip jar, I now have a tip jar. Some put a buck in, some don't. Maybe 35% do. I try to make it obvious that tips are NOT required in any way. I absolutely love the "No way!" and "Holy ****!" exclamations.

Brian

#6 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

Doug, You made Hermann happy by responding at the blog. Good on you. You guys do a wonderful service.

And, that is beautiful Vixen on your blog.

Ajay

#7 Doug Reilly

Doug Reilly

Viking 1

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

It was really cool to get in contact with Herman, we had a nice exchange. I hope some time to meet him in person if I find myself in Baltimore. It's inspiring for me to know the history of the vocation and meet some of its unsung heroes.

#8 RixWorx

RixWorx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Nice article, thanks!

Rick
BA Sidewalk Astronomer

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics