• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

If you own a Canon 60D or 60Da then the information provided in this announcement may be valuable to you.

http://www.binaryriv...fficialCopy.pdf
http://www.ideiki.co...fficialCopy.pdf

Thank you,

Guylain & Ivo

#2 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with using auxiliary power supplies. That is another thing that astrophotographers do and most other owners of these cameras probably don't.

Just a thought. I have a 60D, but haven't used it for astrophotography yet.

#3 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

ReallY? how can anyone blame it on the software? I use and have used BYEOS for 3 different DSLRs and can think of a miriad of things that could cause a failure from Dew entering the camera body, cable snags, power supply failures, User error (polarity reverse) smoked two mounts and an astronimiser with that method(was able to repair the mounts but not the Astronomiser). And Cameras, like all other electronic gear.......Just plain fail sometimes.

like motherboards in a regular computer, there is a lot that can go wrong and does. Canon, Nikkon, SBIG, QHY, Atik, Finger Lakes what ever the brand or model, they all break. :smirk:

#4 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

Wow...That is like blaming HP or Dell if you were to go on a "bad" website and get a virus! :poke::slap:

I think the press-release is a great thing, Guylain/Ivo, and I think it was done very well..

Hopefully the root cause is found..but even then, try getting Canon to admit there is an issue and to do a 'recall', or offer free repairs, is a whole different ball game.. :bangbangbang:

Cheers

#5 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Thank you Brent, Rodger, and zerro1.

I do not want to put blame on anyone, including Canon. The announcement was published with the intent to create an awareness regarding the issue encountered over the years by real users and in different use scenarios. The hope is that someone figures out the real cause and most importantly perhaps come out with a set of steps to bypass such frustrating power failure in the future.

Kind regards,

Guylain

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics