Meade ETX-125 broken alt hard stop tab

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi Everyone,
What would be the best way to repair this broken hard stop tab from a Meade ETX-125? Or would I be better off finding a replacement? Thank you for your time, Tuong.

Attached Files

#2 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Been there done that with a friends. Problem is whatever caused the mount to go off on random movement did it again and broke it again.
What caused yours to break?
Check with Geo. He had one.
My friend ended up getting an SLT mount and a rail and is trying that out.
Brian

#3 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

I bought this off of eBay a couple of months ago and it arrived with this already broken. I got a great deal on it so it wasn't a big deal. I finally had a chance to try out the telescope and mount the other night and it worked great. The tracking and GOTOs were a little off, but that's because of the quick setup and no calibration/training of the motors.

Thanks for your response, and I will check with George. He was kind enough to let me have an eyepiece holder awhile back. Hopefully, he will have this part as well.

Take care, Tuong.

#4 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have a similar problem, but I don't think the stop is actually broken.

My OTA will hit the base in the lower direction, but If I remove the OTA there is a hard stop just past vertical and another about 30 degs below horizontal. When the OTA is installed it hits the base before it hits the hard stop.

Is this normal?

Even if it is not normal does it really matter?

The mount seems to work fine on an "Easy Align"

#5 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

There are 2 physical hard stops that are actually cast into the fork arm itself. Then there is a tab that rotates with the OTA and makes contact with the 2 hard stops in the fork arm. If you look at the attached picture, there is a tiny protrusion that goes into a groove. Make sure nothing is stripped or broken. Do you have the ETX-125 with the metal fork arms? I have the one with the metal fork arms. If you don't, then it might be different. Take care, Tuong.

Attached Files

#6 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Mine has metal Forks under the Plastic Covers. I don't recognize the part in your photo though. That is the piece that fastens to the OTA isn't it? I have not had mine that far apart. I just removed the OTA and took the covers off the fork. I could not figure out how to get the trunnions out. I'll have pull the cover off again and have a better look.

#7 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

I took mine apart again, and got the trunnion assembly out this time. I don't have a broken hard stop, all the parts are in good shape and the key and keyway are perfect. Never the less, the tube hits the base, before the hardstop makes contact. I suspect this is a characteristic of the larger 125 tube. Unless the smaller ETXs used a different hard stop and someone substituted one of those in this mount.

#8 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Sputnik

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:10 AM

How about the vertical stop? Does your OTA stop at about zenith?

#9 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

Yes, just a couple of degrees past.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics