Autoguider solution for NexStar 11 GPS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

• Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have been considering the use of an autoguider on my NexStar 11 GPS. I use a wedge and will always do a polar alignment when imaging, but can really only get about 2 minutes before I can see minute star trails in the images. Are there are "out of the box" solutions that will work?

Thanks in advance for any information that can be passed along.

#2 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

There are many options. A very popular choice is the Orion SSAG package with the ST80 refractor, link Here There is also a slightly cheaper 50mm finder package.

Other ideas are to buy a used DSI 1 or there are other higher-end autoguider cameras from Lodestar and other manufacturers. In this category you would need a guide scope or you can modify a stock finder. For what its worth, my advice is to search here in the CN forums on how to modify a 50mm finder if you have an extra one, and then be on the lookout for a used DSI or similar autoguider. Rather than spend $400 brand new you can cobble together a solution for $100-200 being a little creative and DIY... You may also be able to find a used SSAG package with miniguider or ST80 in the classifieds here on CN for under $300...

Al

#3 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the response back. I was looking at the Orion SSAG, but when I called Orion, the tech support guy told me that I would need to purchase a vixen style mount and guidescope mounting rings from Losmandy, adding an additional $200+ dollars to the package... Is this correct?

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

If you get the Orion Mini-guider option. All you need is screw in the mounting shoe. As I said before, if you have an extra 50mm finder you can modify it and use it with an ssag or other guide camera like a used DSI...

Al

#5 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Here's another option:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5WyRb7RbOw

#6 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

This community never ceases to amaze me. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge on this subject. It is much appreciated!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics