CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguider solution for NexStar 11 GPS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

• Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I have been considering the use of an autoguider on my NexStar 11 GPS. I use a wedge and will always do a polar alignment when imaging, but can really only get about 2 minutes before I can see minute star trails in the images. Are there are "out of the box" solutions that will work?

Thanks in advance for any information that can be passed along.

#2 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

There are many options. A very popular choice is the Orion SSAG package with the ST80 refractor, link Here There is also a slightly cheaper 50mm finder package.

Other ideas are to buy a used DSI 1 or there are other higher-end autoguider cameras from Lodestar and other manufacturers. In this category you would need a guide scope or you can modify a stock finder. For what its worth, my advice is to search here in the CN forums on how to modify a 50mm finder if you have an extra one, and then be on the lookout for a used DSI or similar autoguider. Rather than spend $400 brand new you can cobble together a solution for $100-200 being a little creative and DIY... You may also be able to find a used SSAG package with miniguider or ST80 in the classifieds here on CN for under $300...

Al

#3 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the response back. I was looking at the Orion SSAG, but when I called Orion, the tech support guy told me that I would need to purchase a vixen style mount and guidescope mounting rings from Losmandy, adding an additional $200+ dollars to the package... Is this correct?

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

If you get the Orion Mini-guider option. All you need is screw in the mounting shoe. As I said before, if you have an extra 50mm finder you can modify it and use it with an ssag or other guide camera like a used DSI...

Al

#5 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Here's another option:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5WyRb7RbOw

#6 tobility

tobility

Lift Off

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

This community never ceases to amaze me. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge on this subject. It is much appreciated!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics