Did dew kill my HC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

Recently I was setting up for a session when I noticed my hand controller was still a bit wet from the dew when last used 3 nights before. I did the two star alignment successfully and just as I was to input the first object the screen went blank. It was still illuminated just no text and the slew arrows were working. I tried rebooting the scope a couple of times but still nothing just couldn’t get the text to come back. I disassembled it on the spot and checked all the contacts everything was good. So I wonder if the dew got into the circuits somehow and caused it to malfunction.

This was the older HC model with the DSO shortcut buttons. It had to be replaced with the latest HC. I thought I wasn’t going to like it but I quickly got used to it. I particularly like the fact that the Constellation menus is faster. Still sluggish but noticeably quicker in scrolling.

#2 SporQ

SporQ

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

If it is caused by wetness, it should be OK when it dries out.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I've been using NexStar HCs on the incredibly dew-heavy Gulf Coast for over a decade and have never had a problem of this kind. Possible solution? Reseat the display ribbon cable connector.

#4 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

I did check the cables at the time they were all secure. The old HC is trashed now so troubleshooting is a moot point. I was just concerned about keeping the new one dry.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Well, it's likely dew had nothing to do it. Ribbon cable problems are the usual culprit, as I said. ;)

#6 Tonka

Tonka

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

My HC on my GPS C-11 has started giving me issues. The "east" slew button doesn't want to work when I first power up the scope for alignment. After a little fiddling it begins working and once I get her all set up it's no longer an issue. Would the ribbon cable connection cause that or do I have a contact going out?
Russ

#7 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Sounds like a button contact to me...they can be cleaned. They don't give trouble as often as the cotton-picking Autostar buttons, but they can occasionally be a problem.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics