CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

German astronomers fight for dark sky preserve

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ion

ion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle Scale 2

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

"Light pollution from bustling cities infuriates astronomers. And in heavily industrialized Germany, a good dark corner can be hard to find. Astronomers have found the darkest one - if only they can protect it."

http://www.dw.de/ger...erve/a-17091106

#2 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: La-la land.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I hope they can do it.

#3 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Loc: Sacramento

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

It's hard to believe they have any dark skies there.
I hope they can also.

#4 N_DD

N_DD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

I know how it is in Germany: you can drive 20 miles away from a city in ANY direction, and you end up too close to ANOTHER city... quite frustrating, really hope they will manage to preserve at least that corner!

#5 dajebriza

dajebriza

Explorer 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

So very true. I speak from experience. I am living in Germany right now along the border with Belgium and The Netherlands, being stationed here with the Air Force. I live in a "rural" part of Germany, with only smaller villages around and the biggest city from me is Aachen which is 45 minutes away. The light pollution is terrible. Even though there are a lot of empty fields, livestock farms and agriculture around me, there is always a village casting it's glow into the sky in every direction. You can't drive more than 10-20 minutes without entering another village, so there is very little true "empty space" not ablaze with a populace trying to fight back the night. Luckily, I only live an hour and a half from the Eiffel, which is a "national park" so there is some darker skies to be found there, but nothing like a true dark site you can find in the U.S.

Add that to the weather which is terrible for Astronomy. It is cloudy all the time here and there is a very long rainy season. It is very hard to plan for a night of viewing because the weather is so unpredictable, often your scheduled outings are clouded over. With all these factors, I would say there are maybe less than 10 good nights of clear skies and good seeing in a calandar year. Quite a discouraging environment for anyone wanting to pursue Astronomy as a hobby!

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Maybe there is hope. :p

#7 N_DD

N_DD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Germany

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

yeah, I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! :cool:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics