• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ion

ion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle Scale 2

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

"Light pollution from bustling cities infuriates astronomers. And in heavily industrialized Germany, a good dark corner can be hard to find. Astronomers have found the darkest one - if only they can protect it."

http://www.dw.de/ger...erve/a-17091106

#2 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: La-la land.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I hope they can do it.

#3 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

It's hard to believe they have any dark skies there.
I hope they can also.

#4 N_DD

N_DD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

I know how it is in Germany: you can drive 20 miles away from a city in ANY direction, and you end up too close to ANOTHER city... quite frustrating, really hope they will manage to preserve at least that corner!

#5 dajebriza

dajebriza

Explorer 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

So very true. I speak from experience. I am living in Germany right now along the border with Belgium and The Netherlands, being stationed here with the Air Force. I live in a "rural" part of Germany, with only smaller villages around and the biggest city from me is Aachen which is 45 minutes away. The light pollution is terrible. Even though there are a lot of empty fields, livestock farms and agriculture around me, there is always a village casting it's glow into the sky in every direction. You can't drive more than 10-20 minutes without entering another village, so there is very little true "empty space" not ablaze with a populace trying to fight back the night. Luckily, I only live an hour and a half from the Eiffel, which is a "national park" so there is some darker skies to be found there, but nothing like a true dark site you can find in the U.S.

Add that to the weather which is terrible for Astronomy. It is cloudy all the time here and there is a very long rainy season. It is very hard to plan for a night of viewing because the weather is so unpredictable, often your scheduled outings are clouded over. With all these factors, I would say there are maybe less than 10 good nights of clear skies and good seeing in a calandar year. Quite a discouraging environment for anyone wanting to pursue Astronomy as a hobby!

#6 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Maybe there is hope. :p

#7 N_DD

N_DD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Germany

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:57 AM