How do I get started?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

How do I get started in sketching? I like to do DSO with my Orion xt12g go to dob, and would like to start to sketch what I see. I like what you folks have done with, I guess black paper and I think a white pencil. Do they make a black tablet with the FOV circles already drawn in and lines for time, date,mag.,location, ECT...? I guess what I'm asking is what do I need to buy ,and where? and do you do your sketching under a safe light? Any help to get me started would be deeply apricated . Thanks Tom :question:

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

You can really just get started with pencil and paper. I did. Then work into medium you find works well for you. Just get your feet wet, first, then find your way.

#3 hbanich

hbanich

Apollo

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi Tom,

I suggest you start by drawing deep sky objects from photos during the day so you can get a feel for the techniques that you feel most comfortable with. Drawing in the dark is more difficult, so starting by drawing at the eyepiece can be discouraging.

Pick relatively simple objects like planetary nebula and medium bright galaxies and work your way to more difficult objects. Learning how to get their shapes and range of brightness down on paper during the day will really help you out when you're drawing at the eyepiece and make the entire process more enjoyable.

#4 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hi Tom. If you'd like, here's a template you're welcome to download and use for your DSO observations and sketches. Sketching template

You'll want to use a variable brightness red light either hanging from your eyepiece holder or attached to your clipboard. If you'd like an idea on how to make one, please see this link. The idea came from Jeremy Perez and it's very easy to make.

I use Rite in the Rain paper for high humidity nights but any white card stock or photo copy paper will work just fine. You can start out with just a few pencils and a blending stump. Then as time goes by, you might want to try out other sketch media to fine tune your eyepiece sketches. :)

I'd recommend starting off with easy targets like an open cluster so that you can work on star magnitudes. Hold the pencil straight up and down on your paper and without moving the tip, give the pencil a twist. The amount of pencil twist and pressure will determine your sketched star magnitudes. Cross reference your stars and imagine geometric shapes for accurate plotting.

For nebulosity, make a patch of graphite outside of your sketch circle with your pencil. Rub the tip of a blending stump through it and then use the tip of the blending stump to render nebulosity. Build the nebulosity up as needed until you get the desired depth of brightness. Remember, you'll be working in "negative" which means that the graphite areas represent the bright regions and the white background of the paper will be the dark sky. A great target to start with is the Ring Nebula.

I hope some of these tips help you get started. Please don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need here. Everyone's very friendly and helpful! :rainbow:

#5 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

I started with sheets of printer paper and a #2 pencil sketching Jupiter. Eventually I went to the local supermarket and got a drawing pad, a set of 24 colored pencils, erasers and a cheapo sharpener. What I like is sketching the planets, although I have sketched DSOs. I will sketch 'notes' at the eyepiece, making rough sketches of the planet as well as sketches of specific details and include written notes of the details I observe. Later that night, or the next day I will make a final sketch based on my notes and memory. It's what works for me.

Grab some sheets of printer paper and #2 pencils and take the plunge. With experience it not only gets better, but you develop a sketching 'personality', your unique style. You'll find, as I did, that many people on this forum will be more than happy to help.

Ed D

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

I have a post over on my blog on sketching materials and links to Jeremy Perez method of sketching M81 and M82 at his Belt of Venus site. Then there is the Mellish method as put forth by Scott Mellish and shared in the links by Alex Massey. You can look over both and then decide which would work for you and try them out. Here is the link to my Blog Entry for that. You don't have to buy everything I have, just start small and simple and build up over time.

#7 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Thank you all so very much for the help . It looks like I will be making a trip to the art supply store and Lowes tomorrow.....Erika, is that clipboard also obtainable at Lowes ? That is such a sweet set up, the light and clipboard. Can't wait to get started sketching while my friend DaveM is imageing ,on our next observing outing. :thanx: :waytogo: :bow:

#8 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

You'll have luck finding that clipboard at an art store or online. I buy a lot of my sketch materials online at Dick Blick art store.

Dave is one of my buddies, too. Give him a big hug from me when you see him next. :grin: Good luck with your sketching. I'm sure you'll have a great time with it.

#9 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

BTW, a regular clip board works good too. The biggest thing about finding a suitable clipboard is one that isn't soft to the point that your pencil leaves indents on the board.

#10 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Erika, got all the goods today, just lookin' for the right clipboard. Might just have to make one custom. Would like to have one somewhat like a Artist Pallet, with a hole that I could put my thumb thru.. Going to Cooks art supply here in ohio tomorrow , Pat Katans art supply will have something more like what I want next week. Will post pictures when I finish it... :photo:

#11 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hi Tom,

Here is a link to an article I wrote on an Introduction to Planetary Sketching. It includes suggestions on Why Draw, Getting Started, Transparency and Seeing, Making a Drawing,
filters, pencils, and Drawing Deep-Sky Objects and Comets
as well:

http://ejamison.net/drawing.html

Hope this helps,

Best,

Eric Jamison

#12 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

I would like to give a heart felt thank you to each and everyone of you that led me in the right direction. I can't wait to get under the stars and try my hand at sketching what I see at the eyepiece.
I finished my clipboard project today and would like to share some pictures with all of you. I didn't like the clipboard I bought so I modified it a bit.I took it to the bandsaw and cut a radius on the edge side opposit the clip. I did this to fit my chest better and move things closer to my line of sight. The flexiable neck came from a scrap clip light I had. I bought a sketch pencil set. Erika :bow:, hooked me up with a sketch template download and some great links, that I got my ideas from for the clipboard. so I guess it's time to show you all what I did.
If I missed something , or any of you think I should add something, any questions , or suggestions, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask.
Once again, thank you, to all of you, Tom :thanx:

Attached Files

#13 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

Attached Files

#14 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Attached Files

#15 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Attached Files

#16 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Attached Files

#17 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Attached Files

#18 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

#7.... :rimshot: And last but not least.... :rimshot:

Attached Files

#19 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

Wow! Nice work on the clipboard :bow:

#20 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

Great setup Tom! I have been sketching since I got into the hobby and just use a black high quality pen and a number 2 pencil when I'm out by the telescope. I would like to get a few things like the rubber eraser and blending stump, few different pencils, etc. I think the setup that you have here will really prove useful when you out with the telescope.

#21 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Justin, wanted to start doing sumtin other than lookin at stuff , don't want to start doin astro photpgraphy, all you do is watch your camara click all night, nothin wrong with that tho. I guess I'm old school. seen your resto's on the classics site , nice work keep it up

#22 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Tom, that clipboard and sketch kit setup is awesome! Thanks for sharing your work.

#23 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

thanks Jeremy,I think it was your post that inspired me :grin:

#24 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

First sketches and already doing great mods on the clipboard. Love it!!

#25 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hope to get out this week , maybe tomorrow night ,and try to put sumtin' to paper :fingerscrossed:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics