Scopes you regret selling!

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

OK Most of us have done it, sold a scope and some time later be it days, months, years, ask yourself, "Why did I do that?"
I have one in particular, a Meade LX-200 12" It had fantastic optics, I traded it in for my C14. Not that my Compustar has a single thing wrong with it, as a matter of fact it is terrific, but I dont use it as much due to the size and my tree covered yard.
Another is my Cave 8" F7 Astola Model B Deluxe :foreheadslap:... OH Well
Live and learn!
Whats yours?
Lets do a little telescope therapy and get it out of our systems....

#2 scopeboy42

scopeboy42

Viking 1

• Loc: Garner, NC USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Towa 339 80mm f/15 on EQ mount. I saved up for over a year and bought this brand new when I was a kid back in 1976. After I ordered it my dad, who was Air Force, was transferred and it took over 6 months for the telescope to catch up with us. Longest 6 months of my life. Sold it on the other site about 8 years ago and still regret it. As far as I know the buyer still has it and sometimes I want to see if he would sell it back to me. This was not the best scope I ever had but it was the first.

Attached Files

#3 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

I regret selling every single one I've ever sold.

Even the ones I've specifically built for sale.

#4 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

The first "real" scope I built was based around a Discovery 8" f8 mirror. I wish I had that one back, I sold it for far less than what I paid for it and those mirrors are just not around!

#5 fjs

fjs

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

I didn't sell mine either. It was my very first telescope. In my early twenties I put together a 6" F8 using a Jaegers mirror inside a length of 8" PVC pipe. I used two discs of plywood with carriage bolts and springs for the cell. I started out with a focuser with built in secondary holder on a stalk, but later upgraded to a Novak spider and secondary holder. The EQ mounting was 2" water pipe and 'tee' fittings. It had a plywood cradle with a PVC pipe clamshell arrangement which allowed the tube to be rotated. The bushings were plastic, and were sanded to fit the shafts. Counterweights were barbell weights. The base was a plywood box with a 'T' shape. The water-pipe pier came out of the box maybe an inch then turned 45 degrees to the south about a foot and a half, then turned 90 degrees back to the north. It made for a kind of single pier English style mount.

I think sometime in the late 1990s I donated it to a club in Portland. For the longest time I was pleased to have done so. Now that my interest in astronomy has been rekindled; I do sort of wish I had it back. I hope the mirror is being used and not rusting in a basement somewhere.

#6 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

I sold a couple of years ago my Vixen/Celestron C-80 on a Polaris mount with a home-made tripod planning to buy an objecive lens with it.....then my truck needed a bunch of work, and my 'objectives were altered' as it were.......

At least it went to a good home!

Attached Files

#7 ScottAstroNut

ScottAstroNut

Explorer 1

• Loc: Winterport, Maine

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

The telescope I very much regret having sold was an antique brass 3" Dollond telescope on a cast iron alt-az mount with a mahogany tripod. I found the scope at the school I work at simply tucked away in a place where few would ever have found it. I suspect that the scope may have lain unused and undiscovered for the better part of 50 years. I purchased the scope from the school and didn't know what it really was until I did some research on Dollond, the inventor of the achromatic objective. While the was in need of restoration, it was a rare piece of telescope history that I should have kept. I sold it for a good price to a collector who knew better than I did what I had, but I regretted the sale as soon as I had made it. My only hope is that the scope has indeed made it into the hands of someone who will preserve the scope and keep it in the astronomy community. I'd hate to think of that fine old scope languishing in a closet or attic somewhere like it did before I found it.

#8 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

I have "close calls".
I get little panic attacks and feel like I have too many.
I will usually place one on CL because its quick and easy.
Fortunately for me the Pacific Northwest is not a hotbed of astronomy activity so by the time I have come back to my senses I can delete the ad and I have not done irreversible harm to my collection.

Robert

#9 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have "close calls".
I get little panic attacks and feel like I have too many.
I will usually place one on CL because its quick and easy.
Fortunately for me the Pacific Northwest is not a hotbed of astronomy activity so by the time I have come back to my senses I can delete the ad and I have not done irreversible harm to my collection.

Robert

Yeah, I'm not sure myself...I have one listed right now, because I just bought another, and I'm a user more than a collector.... and I already have more than I never actually look through.....and....and...and....but it's a real nice vintage scope.....and I just put 40 hours into it.....and...but....

Russ

#10 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

It feels like selling your children.

#11 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Problem is, I kept all the ones I liked. Too many in the stable. Only one was my 10" F6 Dob with Zambuto quality optics and Novak cell & Spider. With the "small" quartz secondary it gave exquisite planetary images. Never seen Jupiter like that again. Hope it's in use somewhere.

#12 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Oooohhh....this is soooo painful!!!! I sold a 6" f/12 AstroPhysics Superplanetary apo refractor. Too much for me to handle....setting up and breaking down! I bought a C-11/Atlas setup. :bawling:

Attached Files

#13 Happy-Idiot

Happy-Idiot

Stuck with it

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Towa 339 80mm f/15 on EQ mount. I saved up for over a year and bought this brand new when I was a kid back in 1976. After I ordered it my dad, who was Air Force, was transferred and it took over 6 months for the telescope to catch up with us. Longest 6 months of my life. Sold it on the other site about 8 years ago and still regret it. As far as I know the buyer still has it and sometimes I want to see if he would sell it back to me. This was not the best scope I ever had but it was the first.

Great story, get in contact with the buyer and let him read this post. I am sure he has a heart and will understand.

#14 Masvingo

Masvingo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

None ....

But I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a die cast C8 that was on Ebay last year, complete with bigger finder, locked triangle tripod and multi-ocular holder. Whilst the orange tubes come up for sale fairly regularly in the States, they're not so common over here and it was a good price. In my defence, I was suffering from 'flu and didn't fancy an 700mile round trip to collect it. On the plus side, at least it wasn't a sand cast one, I'ld really be kicking myself then.

Why no regrets about sales? Mainly because I've never sold any! :lol:

#15 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

yep- 6 inch Edmund space Conqueror

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

No regrets here... I pass scopes on to more worthy caretakers.. Honestly, seeing a favorite but neglected scope in the hands of someone like Justin (youngastromer42), how could there be regrets?

Jon

#17 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Sell? Scopes? Really?

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

Sell? :bigshock: :looney: :rofl5: :shakecane: :jawdrop: :nonono: :john:

#19 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Oooohhh....this is soooo painful!!!! I sold a 6" f/12 AstroPhysics Superplanetary apo refractor. Too much for me to handle....setting up and breaking down! I bought a C-11/Atlas setup. :bawling:

ARRRRGGGGH OH MY!
Ever get that feeling in the pit of you stomach when you think about it?
Just like when I sold my MINT 1958 Questar... Bummer

#20 Bonco

Bonco

Gemini

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Two big ones for me...What a dummy I was. Beautiful Custom Delux 10 inch f/6 Cave. Astrophysics 6 inch f/8 triplet on AP mount. I really miss those scopes, but I just ran out of room once I filled my garage with motorcycles. LOL
Bill

#21 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Every time I consider selling one of my scopes, I end up chickening out! I purchased another OTA just yesterday!

They're piling up, and are starting to take over! :shocked:

#22 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Buy a few non-classic scopes, so when it's herd thinning time, you have something to sacrifice.

#23 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

The problem isn't that any of them are classics, because none of them are! I just can't bear to part with any of them!

It's a sickness, I know... :help:

:roflmao:

#24 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

I regret selling anything! LOL

#25 orion61

orion61

Aurora

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

The problem isn't that any of them are classics, because none of them are! I just can't bear to part with any of them!

It's a sickness, I know... :help:

Don't ever let our Spouses get together we would be in BIG trouble cause you sound too much like me! LOL
later buddy

:roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics