Mysteries of the Planets

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

I know there is some semantics involved here but bottom line is--we can see the indirect effects of relief on Mars (like shadows from volcanoes, dust moving down giant canyons, or frost in the bottom of huge impact basins) but almost no one thinks they can see craters or mountains on Mars (although Mars is peppered with them). Everyone has seen craters and mountains on Luna, but Luna is very close and Mars is very far away.

I was fortunate to see the shadow of Olymous Mons (and knew that it could be that because a spacecraft had discovered this giant volcano). Likewise, early observers might have seen that narrow dust storm that I saw and inferred that it was going down a huge canyon--only to have their inference confirmed a hundred or two hundred years later by spacecraft images. There were giants on the Earth in those days.

#27 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Look at that link to the paper Christophe wrote (on the first page). It's to an entire newsletter, and his article is the first part; but farther down is the Letters section. Tom Dobbins wrote a letter about a sketch made by Ebisawa in (I think) the 50's, which appears to show the crater Schiaparelli (in the Edom area of Sinus Meridiani. The sketch he refers to is on the cover of V.A. Firsoff's "The World of Mars". He drew one; it's really there.

#28 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Post deleted by azure1961p

#29 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

If you could elaborate more Rick as I didn't read the article.

Thanks,

Pete

Attached Files

#30 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

You mean the letter? Not much to elaborate on. Dobbins was asking if there had been any discussion of Mars craters among Japanese Mars observers prior to the Mariner IV flyby, since Ebisawa seems to have drawn one.

#31 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

If I remember well, Antoniadi at the Meudon refractor reported sometimes the vision of craters of Mars.
I will not be surprised to hear something similar with Mr Capen observations at the Lowell obs. and from some others (Pickering,...) under excellent conditions.
Stanislas-Jean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics