Ah, Jeez, I think I fixed it!...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

On my Windows XP machine, I've been having a terrible problem with something called svchost.exe taking the CPU to 100% and slowing things up horribly, even terminally.
I'm not much of a PC nerd, but I finally did some digging, and the quick fix was to disable Windows Automatic Update. I had it set to advise me, but not download; but it turns out the program itself has a bug and completely disabling it eliminates it.

It seems to have worked!

I never download any Microsoft fixes anyway. Last time I did, I lost the ability to access the internet. After asking Microsoft for help, and being told that it was my fault, and that I should stay off the internet because I'm a menace, I stopped getting their fixes. Their software is so awful and buggy! My new computer has Win8, and lots of you know about THAT!

If you're on XP and have this trouble, try that.

#2 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

• Loc: At the Gym >Spudtastic<

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

I had a similar problem. To find the problem follow these instructions.. :cool:

Download Process Explorer then run PE (no installation required). Look for svchost.exe taking the CPU to 100% then right click on this process, select properties then click the services TAB.

Windows Update is wuauclt.exe

http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx

Had a problem with svchost.exe (Windows Audio) plus I didn't have any audio.. :mad:

The problem was with Windows Media player. The Windows Media player would request to update to version 11. After the update the sound returned and svchost.exe no longer was taking the CPU to 100% :D

I use Process Explorer version 11 and typically run the program in the background.

#3 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thanks! I found a lot of references to PE and procedures like that; but I couldn't download anything without hanging the system. I finally found the quick fix on the "Ask Leo" web site. But I'll look into the audio thing too, now that you've told me about it (thanks again!).

#4 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Not sure why this is happening now. Did a malware scan found no scum ware..

Today had another problem with Windows media player 11 svchost.exe taking the CPU to 100% so I tried to remove with my Smart Uninstaller Pro 2009 but Billy Gates only lets the player roll back to the previous installed version.

So now I am back to WMP version 9 no more hang ups.... :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

#5 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thanks! I found a lot of references to PE and procedures like that; but I couldn't download anything without hanging the system. I finally found the quick fix on the "Ask Leo" web site. But I'll look into the audio thing too, now that you've told me about it (thanks again!).

What was preventing the downloading.... :question:

#6 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Things like that are why I now run Macs.

No muss, no fuss.

#7 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

The fact that svchost.exe would take the CPU to 100% and hang me up!

#8 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

The fact that svchost.exe would take the CPU to 100% and hang me up!

Download and run SuperAntiSpyware 5.6.1032... :bow: :jump: :jump:

http://www.filehippo...perantispyware/

#9 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I don't need to - I fixed the problem. :D

#10 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

What did you do........ :question:

#11 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

More Info from the web...Svchost.exe 100% Usage Problem. :(

[XP Pro] Wuaueng.dll / Svchost.exe 100% Usage Problem.

Microsoft have an obvious problem with their windows update site. Here's what Ive been seeing. On computer that have Service Pack 3 install, if the users goes and tries to do any windows updates, the website wants to install an update to the updater service which does the following.

The Service pack 3 file: wuaueng.dll (4/14/08) is replaced by a wuaueng.dll file which is dated: (7/30/07).

Once the computer does this anytime the updater program auto-starts or is initiated by the windows update site, the wuaueng.dll file running inside of the svchost.exe will use 100% of the primary system processor bringing the entire system to a crawl.

Ive found no fix to this issue besides stopping the windows update service and copying the newer file back to the c:\windows\system32 directory. Only bad thing is that you cant use the windows update site again as it will try to replace this file again.

More Info from the web.... :grin:

In some cases the issue can be traced to busy servers. However, the "fix" suggested earlier above will likely resolve the issue in any case.

The "Fix":

From a command session, type carefully:

net stop wuauserv
rmdir c:\windows\softwaredistribution /s
net start wuauserv

You need to stop the wuauserv service (if running) to clear the softwaredistribution folder.

#12 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Update....

Got tired of the wuaueng.dll and the Svchost.exe 100% Usage Problem so I used Process Explorer to KILL the process... :mrevil:

The computer went back to normal usage!! :yay::yay::yay:

Turned OFF updates... :grin:

#13 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

What did you do........ :question:

I turned Windows Automatic Update off. That's where the problem is.

#14 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

Update..

Yesterday while surfing I got the BSoD and a reboot...I turned the Windows updates back on and did an update. Left the computer idle for a short time and when I returned I noticed another reboot... Signed back online and Left the computer idle for a short time and when I returned I noticed another reboot. :foreheadslap:

The svchost.exe problem is GONE.... :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

#15 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

...I turned the Windows updates back on and did an update.

You have more faith in MS than I do!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics