Photo

Suggestions on movable roof vendors in Northeast?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Leor

Leor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi,
We're building an addition onto my house and I'm putting in a 2nd-floor observatory. I'm not a DIY-er, so we're looking at commercial rolling roofs (I want an open design, not a dome.)

My builder is very good, so if we get a roof, he can make sure it gets attached correctly.

Can anyone recommend any companies that make these kinds of roofs, east of the Mississippi preferably, as close to Boston as possible? The roof needs to be good quality. So far we've found Rollamatic... out of San Francisco. I'm in Boston. If that's the best we can do that we probably will, but geez...

Thanks!

#2 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

Scott at Backyard Observatories may know of some one. He has plans available for roll off roofs, motors track etc. He also builds observatories and automates them.

He built my observatory on top of my garage w/o any issues in over 6 years. He's built over 100 of them all over the USA.

Backyardobservatories.com

#3 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

My builder is very good, so if we get a roof, he can make sure it gets attached correctly.

[/quote]I would have your builder make it from scratch , I do Carpentry work myself on the side and a ROR Obs ,That is easy,And your Builder probably forgot more then I'll ever know if He does it for a living , Talk to him and tell him what you want , Show him what the Rail system looks like and I bet he can do it better then what you can buy and a lot less $$$ , The Design is very simple , The hardest thing is to Square and Level it and He does that all day long . :smash:

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Just buy the plans from Skyshed and give them to a local carpenter. The materials are all easily obtainable locally and it's really just a shed with rails.

#5 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Just buy the plans from Skyshed and give them to a local carpenter. The materials are all easily obtainable locally and it's really just a shed with rails.

I agree :waytogo:

#6 DumbGuy

DumbGuy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upper Marlboro, MD

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

I wonder if a sliding gate motor with rack might work. See
http://www.wholesale...er-p/ar2700.htm
I'm thinking of getting one of these for my 12 X 20 ROR, which weighs about 1400 lbs. The Aleko AR2700 cost about $240 with 13ft of nylon gear rack included. I would upgrade to a steel gear rack. I can't see any downsides or why it wouldn't work. It's a lot cheaper then all of the other astronomy vendors offering motor/drive systems to move the roof. Please, I'm looking for input from others as to why this drive system will either work or won't work.

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

It'll work.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics