CGE Switch Position Question

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

I bought a used CGE a couple of months ago and between upgrading, HyperTuning, the bad weather, and work, I've only just been able to get it set up tonight to give it a go. I have a trio of scopes on a triad bar and when I mount them, the switch position is at 90 degrees to where I want the scopes to point. I'm sure there is a simple solution to this but I thought I should take the easier option and post the question rather than research it elsewhere.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Khavar

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

You can manually set the DEC offset to 90 degrees; that's what I did on my early CGE model. Later firmware has a setting for side by side use so if you have that you can just select it.

#3 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

John:
I would then have to do that every time I set it up. I don't know where that function for the side by side would be on the hand controller. I looked but couldn't find it.

Khavar

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

The setting remained stable when I did it. I don't know where the new function is because I never used it but it's in there if you have recent firmware (within 2 or 3 years of current).

Before the new function became available some folks who didn't want to use the dec offset for whatever reason would buy an offset plate from ADM. They no longer list it (no need) but could surely make you one.

#5 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

the switch position on the cge is a reference for both axis to have the same amount of travel and is already marked, I'm not fully understand your Q?, but if you want to have a fixed position for the off position use "set home position" follow the instructions by slewing the scope to the position you want and hitting enter, is this what you are asking about?

Edit: if your scopes are pointing to china, its because you want the lock knobs on the mount saddle to be on the right side of the scope, as if your standing directly behind it.

#6 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

I figured out that when I power the mount on, I need to hit "menu", scope set-up, and then choose East or West depending on which direction the scope is facing. But I guess I'll need to do that each time I power up the mount.

In the Atlas, you can set the home position but I'm not sure how to do that with the CGE so that whenever I set up and hit Switch position, this position is at 90 degrees to the original and my scope faces north.

Khavar

#7 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Let me ask this, what are you try to do?

#8 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

Can you post a pic of your scope as it is when you first put your scopes on before you even start it up? by the way you describe, it sounds like when you first begain alignment and it tells you to set switch position your trying to set it, but that is not what it wants you to do , just let it find its switches on its own, its not wanting you to set them for it, let it do it.

#9 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

the switch position is not the home position, the switch position points directly north towards Polaris, but the switch position can be used for the home position, at the end of observing session just scroll to move to switch and shut down mount or use the home position scroll down to home position use the button that has the arrow on it to show "goto home position" and hit enter, but like I said you have to set the home position otherwise it just moves to the switch position pointing directly north. is this what you are wanting to know?

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

He's not worried about the home position. He's affected by the fact that his side by side plate rotates the optical tubes 90 degrees away from where the controller thinks they are. That has to be handled.

#11 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

so side by side bar runs across the cge dovetail east/west and his scopes are pointed north, then when he begans alignment and does the first step ie. set switch position, the scopes slews 90* to the east or west ?

#12 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

so side by side bar runs across the cge dovetail east/west and his scopes are pointed north, then when he begans alignment and does the first step ie. set switch position, the scopes slews 90* to the east or west ?

Yup.

#13 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

Is there any chance a factory reset would fix that right up? if it was happening to me that would be my next step

#14 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

It's inherent in the design. It's the axis switches that complicate things. They are a great feature but side by side plates change things.

#15 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

I figured out that when I power the mount on, I need to hit "menu", scope set-up, and then choose East or West depending on which direction the scope is facing. But I guess I'll need to do that each time I power up the mount.

No, you won't need to do that each time you power up...the setting is remembered. If you're using the side-by-side setup with the scopes pointed the same way each time wrt the mount's saddle, you will NOT need to redo the setting. I have a CGEM DX and a CGE and they both work exactly correctly between power cycles when set up for s-b-s. Now, if you revert to a non-s-b-s setup, then you WILL have to redo the setting.

For the poster wanting a photo, here's an example. See how the mount's saddle is at 90° to its normal single-telescope orientation? Since the CGE has position switches that assume the telescope is pointing toward the pole when it homes, that's the source of the problem here. The photo shows a CGEM DX which does NOT have homing switches, but since I have a CGE also, which DOES have homing switches, I simply follow the same rules and make the same orientation setting, even though, technically, one doesn't have to. Confusing, isn't it!?
Posted Image

#16 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll see how it goes tonight when I power up again.

By the way, I have a triad, with two scopes on either side of my ED127. The other problem I had was that the ED127, and the triad bar, would not "fit" onto the CGE saddle because the DEC clutch knobs would get in the way. I talked to Anthony at ADM and he sent me one of those 90 degree adaptor s that have a 1 inch riser so that the plate and scope would clear the knobs. It is, however, still orientated parallel to the CGE saddle so I'll check to see if I can rotate the block 90 degrees. That would be a good solution too, if I am able to make it work.

Khavar

#17 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

How stupid of me!!! I discovered that I could rotate the saddle 90 degrees on top of the riser! Should have thought of that before. The problem is now solved and I can get on with life and its other complexities:)

Thanks All.

Khavar

#18 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

For future reference ...

The function to set the position of the OTAs on a Celestron gem is called OTA Orientation, it's under Scope Setup. This function was put into the the firmware starting with hand controller firmware version gem4.15. As Dave said it's a "persistent" function, it won't change on power up.

Khavar, Because of your need for extra clearance as well as 90° rotation the ADM solution is best one around. If you ever simplify your setup and no longer need the clearance the firmware function will save you some extra weight.

Depending on which HC firmware you have you'll need different manuals to reference all the HC functions. The CGEPro manual would match the latest firmware available.

www.nexstarsite.com for firmware, connectivity info and manuals.
CGE_Telescope uncensored Yahoo Group is also a great source of reference information on CGE mounts.

#19 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

The last CGE that I owned was prior to the latest firmware. At that time, you could set the mount for the 90° offset, but the 2+4 alignment wouldn't work. The first 2 alignment stars were good, but the firmware saw that 90° offset as cone error and wouldn't do the calibration stars.

At that time, I cured it with the ADM adapter John mentioned. It's a good thing that Celestron fixed that problem.

David

#20 KD58

KD58

Ranger 4

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I am able to get it to work now. That adaptor was the answer for me but I was able to use the HC to make the appropriate settings too.

By the way, that adaptor is heavy. With the adaptor, my traid bar, two V-style saddles, and a large D-style saddle in the middle, the total weight is 13.4 lbs. With the heavy ED127 and the two smaller scopes, that really adds up. And thats without any imaging equipment. I might have to simplify soon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics