• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Came across this article this morning about a move by the city to reduce their electric bill from the street lights. I was surprised to see they spend $2 million annually to light the city. Seems economics is finally starting to make people think if they really need to have all these lights on when most people are sleeping. Down side is they are talking about LED replacements. But if they are shielded and used at a dimmer brightness (besides full output), my LP situation to the east-northeast should improve...in theory.

http://www.mlive.com...eet_light_au...

#2 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

That is a good move on the city's part. The fact that some places spend MILLIONS to light up places that nobody needs lit. The only downside I can see about LEDS is that they don't melt snow. If you install a heater on them then they end up using more electricity than an incandescent bulb.

obin ;)

#3 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

If they do go LED, put in your two cents for them to consider the color temperature. Blue LED's are cheaper, but worse for eyesight and sleep considerations, not to mention nocturnal creatures.

Ask them to look for red or pink-shifted color temperature LED's. The other thing to consider that could make things worse is if they see this as a reason to light up even MORE of the night-time environment... "We'll save money on the energey... LET'S BUY MORE LIGHTS!" Also watch the lumens output of the LED lights too; I've seen some that were so bright at night they actually hurt my eyes.

#4 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

The town I actually live in did exactly that in the downtown area. They pulled the old lights and put in LED-based posts with globes on top that have no shielding at all. Plus they are every 10ft or so down the main drag for 1/2 mile. It is insanely bright and very ugly. Actually a few non-astronomer residents have stated that. Maybe I need to approach the local board about that too.

#5 ion

ion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle Scale 2

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

The fact that some places spend MILLIONS to light up places that nobody needs lit.

Some enterprising folks could make a fortune going town to town selling more efficient non-polluting lighting upgrades to local governments.

Posted Image :jedi: :usa: :FarmerRon:

#6 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

It is insanely bright and very ugly. Actually a few non-astronomer residents have stated that. Maybe I need to approach the local board about that too.

Well, the good thing about LED's is that they are a whole lot easier to make dimmer than HPS or LPS lights are. So maybe approach them about that - I'm sure there's some "acceptable lumens-per-square-foot info out there (I think that's the right method for measuring light at night).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics