Inexpensive BT serial adapter for Sky Safari

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 EricRemy

EricRemy

Explorer 1

• Loc: Quebec, Canada

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Baught one off Ebay and it doesn't work. Wanted to use it with Sky Safari and my HEQ5 Pro. Unit is not visible to be paired either on the Ipod or the Samsung Galaxy tab.

Guess you get what you pay for, there's no free lunch.

#27 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

I still have not found any Bluetooth device that works as well as the Aircable Serial 5 Bluetooth device. @ $79 it's not an inexpensive solution but it does work. I have been running my Celestron Nexstar GPS 11 scope with it for 6 years now. The only issues I have had are operator error. Now I use a laptop running Windows 7 Pro. I do not have a tablet or pad to see if the Aircable device works with these systems so I cannot provide any feedback for those devices.

#28 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: ITALY

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

OK

Arrived to me yesterday from China, I tested on my ETX 105 and SkySafari PRO Android version on my Samsung Galaxy S4. This adapter is the cheapest I've found on the net (payed 12$ shipped) and the others, who are inside a plastic container and also powered by AA batteries cost about 7/10 times more so they not worth buying because cost as much as an Orion StarSeek or Southern Stars SkyFi.

Bluetooth Pairing OK, the blue LED lights up and flashes as if it worked the receiving part.

The adapter (HC - 05 bluetooth module with serial male DB9 output) is powered via USB.

I connected the serial DB9 Male to the DB9 Female that goes to the Meade 497 Autostar Computer Controller.  i switched on my ETX and wait for all.

Not working at the end, SkySafari gives me this error report on attach  jpg.

Of course, My ETX Scope is powered on and connected correctly, I tested the serial to Autostar home made serial cable adapter (Meade #505) with Windows version of Stellarium and works fine...

But the question is, maybe I'm doing something wrong? maybe I need the null modem?

Can someone confirm this?

In this case I could open my home made  Meade #505 and swap the pins inside the female DB9 connector, probably by swapping pin 2 to pin 3 of connector

Best

Pat

Attached Files

Edited by patrizioitalian, 10 August 2014 - 08:37 AM.

• elmiko likes this

#29 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

Pat,

There are a couple of possibilities.

1. You end to set the serial communication parameters in the BT device to match what your scope wants.  I'm out of town and cannot look up what the ETX needs but most mounts want 9600 baud, no parity, 8 data bits and one stop bit. Try configuring the BT adapter for that.

2. Some BT devices are set up to echo back commands sent to it.  These echoed commands interfere with the data protocol SkySafari tries to maintain.  Make sure this is echo is off.

i doubt you need a null modem adapter unless your device is wired strangely.

#30 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Pat,

There are a couple of possibilities.

1. You end to set the serial communication parameters in the BT device to match what your scope wants.  I'm out of town and cannot look up what the ETX needs but most mounts want 9600 baud, no parity, 8 data bits and one stop bit. Try configuring the BT adapter for that.

2. Some BT devices are set up to echo back commands sent to it.  These echoed commands interfere with the data protocol SkySafari tries to maintain.  Make sure this is echo is off.

i doubt you need a null modem adapter unless your device is wired strangely.

Understand Bill, and thanks always for prompt answer.

On SkySafari I went on settings and put Scope ETX90-125   (my scope is ETX 105 but I think this value is correct)

SkySafari recognizes the bluetooth adapter and go with the pairing...

For the other side

So I have to change some parameters, hope I can do it connecting to a PC and change values via AT Comands.

maybe I have to send :

AT+BAUD4  OK9600  Sets the baud rate to 9600

A useful link where describes differences from HC05 and HC06 Bluetooth Module and how to program it:

http://mcuoneclipse....uetooth-module/

and here:

http://byron76.blogs...5-firmware.html

and here

http://hackaday.com/...ng-at-commands/

They say:

This firmware provides 2 ways to activate AT mode :
The first way is described as below :

set low level on PIN34
        Supply power to the module
        set high level on PIN34

Then the module will enter on AT mode without your configured baud rate (default : 9600 8N1)

This will be easy and useful to go directly to enable default values but I don't know if this will be enaugh.

Don't know how to change ECHO from ON to OFF, maybe there is an AT Command for it and I have to read the manual and docs, but maybe in this case I have to program it. I don't know if I can do with a PC connected.

I will try to change these values...  and test it again with SkySafari Pro

Pat

Edited by patrizioitalian, 10 August 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#31 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Just ordered one of these for my AVX and CGEM. Thanks for the great find!

#32 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:34 AM

Description of the RS232 Bluetooth Serial Adapter

Communication Master-Slave 2 Modes 5v mini usb:

1.This product is embedded within the bluetooth communication protocol,no need to install the driver, can be used on windows systems , you can also use dos, linux and other non- graphical operating system .
2.Support the bluetooth serial port profiles(spp), and with a bluetooth-enabled notebook computer , equipped with a bluetooth adapter, desktop computers, handheld bluetooth pda and bluetooth gps device supports bluetooth spp service connections and communication
3.Equipped with a reset button can remove the saved paired device information , and re-paired with the new bluetooth
4.Adopt bluetooth chip bluetooth 2.1 standard . enhanced ber error rate performance and automatic frequency hopping technology can ensure efficient and secure communication , and has a stronger anti-jamming capability to ensure the stability and reliability of the communication .
5.User can set by using the at command from 1200bps nm total 12 different baud rate(default is 9600,n,8,1), can also set for the device more personalized bluetooth name    (I don't know how to change these values, if directly to serial cable to PC or via Bluetooth or via Arduino... BUT DEFAULT MUST BE 9600,n,8,1... so....)
6.Transmitted power complies with the bluetooth the class2 standard, built-in high sensitivity pcb printed antenna, stable communication distance can up to 15m
Specifications:

Interface: RS232
    Executive standard bluetooth SIG v2.1+EDR
    Bluetooth protocol: bluetooth serial port profile (SPP)
    Communication speed: 1200,2400,4800,9600,19200,38400,57600,115200,230400,460800,921600,1382400 bps
    Modulation type: 2.4G ISM direct sequence frequency hopping (FHSS)
    Communication distance: 15M at open space , class 2 level
    Transmit power: 4 dbm
    receiving sensitivity: -79dbm
    operating voltage: 5v
    Sleep current operating current: 40ma/1.6ma(typical value)
    Operating temperature storage temperature -10-50 /-20-80 degrees celsius
    Size: approx. 2.22x1.47x0.57"

Package Included:

1PCS*RS232 Bluetooth Serial Adapter Communication Master-Slave 2 Modes 5v mini usb

I think also that an external antenna could be added to improve performance and distances

For now  is useless, default are 9600,n,8,1 and maybe good for my ETX105 Meade Scope

I think there are other problems to solve, (maybe to change as said by Bill, Echo to OFF)

I tried to change telescope settings in SkySafari, I tried different scopes but result was the same, led blinking but no connection to the scope.

I want to try a NON MODEM, and see if something will happen, of course I need it to work but if not,I will buy a SkyFi or Orion Starseek, but sure I will not buy an expensive in plastic case bluetooth serial adapter that could have the same problems...

Best

Pat

Edited by patrizioitalian, 11 August 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#33 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Pat,

I can't really help you trouble shoot the BT adapter any more than I have.  However, I will say do *not* get a SkyFi.  As has been mentioned many times here, the SkyFi units do not work with most Android devices because the devices do not support Ad Hoc networking.  We really strongly recommend then RN-270 BT adapter.  It just works (and is slightly cheaper than the  SkyFi).

#34 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

I understand Bill,  but as I said before, I prefer to buy a SkyFi for many reasons,

1. It must work with SkySafari for sure

2. Ok it cost more, compared to my chinese adapter but It's a commercial device so I could sell it one day and take half of price, every time I buy an electronic device or smartphone, I know that it's not for Life so I have to think one day to upgrade...  Buying a serial bluetooth adapater in plastic case with batteries inside,  at a not really cheap price it's not a good idea (for my opinion), also if it will work (it's not sure 100%), One day it will go on the basket, no one can use it.

3. Ad Hoc connection it's not a problem, first, cause I will use it, not so far from my house where there is a wireless lan, in other case, I have a cheap access point to bring with me, It's not a big problem to buy a second hand access point for this.

So before I buy a SkyFi or Starseek I prefer to waste little time to make it work, if...

This adapter is not a simple serial bluetooth adapter, it has a swich to change from master to slave and also could be programmable, via Arduino or via LPT (i see something on the net).

I tried yesterday to change  Pin 2 RXD to Pin 3 TXD with my solder (on the Meade serial Rj adapter), without any results

Somewhere it's written that default values are: 9600,N,8,1 maybe good for ETX 90 to ETX 125 (not sure) but here :

http://wiki.pinguino...uetooth_Modules:

HC-05 firmware has default settings for the serial port of 38400, N, 8,1; password: 1234

Of Course the problem is from output side, from DB9 serial output to the Scope, cause the module make pairing correctly and communicate with my smartphone and  SkySafari Pro and recognize it.

So my target now is to put 9600,N,8,1 and Echo OFF on the module and try again.

I don't understand why this module cannot work instead of others like RN-270 BT adapter that is tested ok, there are voltage problems? Ok, I will put exatly 5v from a  battery.

For this module (Serial DB9 to Bluetooth HC-05)  there are many many documentations on the net so we have to study a little to understand where is the problem on it, and why it doesn't work.

Best

Pat

Edited by patrizioitalian, 12 August 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#35 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

So.. I just recieved my BT-Serial adapter and Null modem cable off of e-bay today, and I can confirm that it works with the Nexus 5 and Advanced VX mount...BUT there were some important configuration issues I had to deal with. Some of the newer NexStar controllers are highly sensitive to invalid commands, and because of this I couldn't get it to connect to my mount at first. Originally I thought it was the cheap Null modem connector I had bought, but after a quick stop to Radio Shack the new cable proved to be just as ineffective as the old one. I decided to hook it up to my PC running realterm to debug the issue. I discovered that it was indeed receiving the commands from SkySafari, but it was printing out garbage-laden debug info along with it. Luckily the AT command manual told me how to fix this, and after connecting the BT module to my PC and sending "AT+ENABLEIND0" over serial, it was working perfectly with the mount!

• BarryBrown likes this

#36 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Great debugging:
AT+ENABLEIND0

This will make the BT module as a "transparent" pass-thru and not making the BT module itself communicating with the device on its serial port.

Also, set BT module in slave mode, 9600,8,N,1, echo off.
Swap Rx and Tx when connects to mount.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Edited by ccs_hello, 16 August 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#37 BarryBrown

BarryBrown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

Do you have to send that command every time the BT device is powered up?

#38 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:37 AM

So.. I just recieved my BT-Serial adapter and Null modem cable off of e-bay today, and I can confirm that it works with the Nexus 5 and Advanced VX mount...BUT there were some important configuration issues I had to deal with. Some of the newer NexStar controllers are highly sensitive to invalid commands, and because of this I couldn't get it to connect to my mount at first. Originally I thought it was the cheap Null modem connector I had bought, but after a quick stop to Radio Shack the new cable proved to be just as ineffective as the old one. I decided to hook it up to my PC running realterm to debug the issue. I discovered that it was indeed receiving the commands from SkySafari, but it was printing out garbage-laden debug info along with it. Luckily the AT command manual told me how to fix this, and after connecting the BT module to my PC and sending "AT+ENABLEIND0" over serial, it was working perfectly with the mount!

Hi, Ok I have to ask you some questions, first off all, do the module is the same exatly in the first post of this thread? I mean HC-05 integrated with DB9 and with white connector that could be powered with an external battery?

How did you send AT command and how you connected  to the serial port,  directly with a serial F/F cable?

I don't know if realterm could work for me with my PC windows 7 64bit but I could try, maybe there is a windows 7 version that works at 32bit or 64bit.

As I understood from this thread and other info discovered here in CN:

http://www.cloudynig...pe-mounts-r2871

Here is reported:  "...While some versions of these circuits include an integrated TTL-to-RS232 converter circuit, experience has found that access to the Bluetooth command set occasionally interfered with proper telescope mount control."

I do not understand if a Null Model adapter is needed or not at the end or is possible to do inverting only pin 2 and 3 of serial output.

It seems that better is to buy separate module, HC-05 (or HC-06) Bluetooth module and an external TTL-to-RS232 converter module. But in your case it works also with the same integrated module, I don't know if it will work also with my ETX Scope, cause I know that Nextar has different comunication protocol. (TTL, not standard TTL).

of course default configuration for the module must be:   Default serial data configuration: 9600 baud, N,8,1 Echo Off but I was sure that this settings are on the module and nobody has changed them.

So, it remains to be tested also for me connecting the BT module to my PC and sending "AT+ENABLEIND0" over serial, and see if I could make it work also for my Meade Scope instead of Nextar Celestron.

So please could you say us if you connect the bluetooth db9 module directly to the serial port of the windows pc or not, thanks a lot.

Best

Pat

#39 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hi, Ok I have to ask you some questions, first off all, do the module is the same exatly in the first post of this thread? I mean HC-05 integrated with DB9 and with white connector that could be powered with an external battery?

How did you send AT command and how you connected  to the serial port,  directly with a serial F/F cable?

I don't know if realterm could work for me with my PC windows 7 64bit but I could try, maybe there is a windows 7 version that works at 32bit or 64bit.

As I understood from this thread and other info discovered here in CN:

http://www.cloudynig...pe-mounts-r2871

Here is reported:  "...While some versions of these circuits include an integrated TTL-to-RS232 converter circuit, experience has found that access to the Bluetooth command set occasionally interfered with proper telescope mount control."

I do not understand if a Null Model adapter is needed or not at the end or is possible to do inverting only pin 2 and 3 of serial output.

It seems that better is to buy separate module, HC-05 (or HC-06) Bluetooth module and an external TTL-to-RS232 converter module. But in your case it works also with the same integrated module, I don't know if it will work also with my ETX Scope, cause I know that Nextar has different comunication protocol. (TTL, not standard TTL).

of course default configuration for the module must be:   Default serial data configuration: 9600 baud, N,8,1 Echo Off but I was sure that this settings are on the module and nobody has changed them.

So, it remains to be tested also for me connecting the BT module to my PC and sending "AT+ENABLEIND0" over serial, and see if I could make it work also for my Meade Scope instead of Nextar Celestron.

So please could you say us if you connect the bluetooth db9 module directly to the serial port of the windows pc or not, thanks a lot.

Best

Pat

Since Rx and Tx are already inverted on the BT DB9 module, you should be able to hook it up directly to your PC's serial port without using the Null modem adapter.

Do you have to send that command every time the BT device is powered up?

No. So long as you don't hold down the "clear" button on the dongle for more than 5 seconds the setting should stay in the EEPROM.

Edited by joshumax, 17 August 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#40 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hi tonight I tried to connect my bluetooth serial module to my pc and use Realterm_2.0.0.70 to setup.

BOLUTEK BLK-MD-BC04-B BLUETOOTH MODULE AT COMMANDS are here:

http://www.electronc...AT COMMANDS.pdf

I setup baudrate, in this case 9600 correspond to 4 (as seen on the manual)

there is no echo off command, and I setup also AT+ENABLEIND<Para1> where defult was 1, I set to 0 as joshumax suggested.

I see also data that comes via bluetooth from SkySafari after pairing, For now, the error remain without connecting my scope.

Maybe but I'm not sure, other AT Commands are possible if we set high level on PIN34.

But I think that sending to the module  9600 8N1 and AT+ENABLEIND must be enough to know if this cheap module could work with our scopes. There is also a thing to say, I think that this module could work for some scope and not for all.

Maybe for Celestron Nextar is not like Meade ETX scope due of other parameters coming from the scope.

There are different protocol, Serial and TTL and Spec. TTL that could do their job....

I have to test tomorrow when I have to connect it directly to the ETX scope and see if something could happen.

Best

Pat

Attached Files

Edited by patrizioitalian, 24 August 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#41 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hi tonight I tried to connect my bluetooth serial module to my pc and use Realterm_2.0.0.70 to setup.

BOLUTEK BLK-MD-BC04-B BLUETOOTH MODULE AT COMMANDS are here:

http://www.electronc...AT COMMANDS.pdf

I setup baudrate, in this case 9600 correspond to 4 (as seen on the manual)

there is no echo off command, and I setup also AT+ENABLEIND<Para1> where defult was 1, I set to 0 as joshumax suggested.

I see also data that comes via bluetooth from SkySafari after pairing, For now, the error remain without connecting my scope.

Maybe but I'm not sure, other AT Commands are possible if we set high level on PIN34.

But I think that sending to the module  9600 8N1 and AT+ENABLEIND must be enough to know if this cheap module could work with our scopes. There is also a thing to say, I think that this module could work for some scope and not for all.

Maybe for Celestron Nextar is not like Meade ETX scope due of other parameters coming from the scope.

There are different protocol, Serial and TTL and Spec. TTL that could do their job....

I have to test tomorrow when I have to connect it directly to the ETX scope and see if something could happen.

Best

Pat

How did you set up your terminal? It doesn't seem to be handling new lines correctly...Anyways I just tested the device on a friend's etx-60 and it works fine so long as you turn the BT adapter on before you boot up the scope.

#42 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

joshumax:

How did you set up your terminal? It doesn't seem to be handling new lines correctly...Anyways I just tested the device on a friend's etx-60 and it works fine so long as you turn the BT adapter on before you boot up the scope.

Hi joshumax, I connected my BT adapter to my laptop, I run Realterm_2.0.0.70, I put the default port com 1, I opened it, and on send table, I wrote the AT Commands that are showed on the Bolutek Manual. Sincerly there are few commands, not all that I expected.

I pushed  also CR LF...on realterm in order to give everytime.

From the first command AT, It gives me OK,  his firmware version ecc... BT Module was connected to the laptop successfully. It received commands regularly.

I set baudrate to 4 (4 instead of 9600 as read on the manual), at the command AT+Baud it gives me 4 so it saved it. Then I sent AT+ENABLEIND to 0, default was 1 as you suggested to do.

When I started SkySafari and tried to connect BT module (that was only connected to my serial com1 of my laptop and not to my ETX scope) I saw some data coming in .

Tonight I tried to test it with my Meade ETX105.... unfortunately WITHOUT ANY RESULTS.. .

Error was exactly the same... A windows showed me this error:

Connection Failure

SkySafari Pro can make a wireless
connection to the scope, but the
scope is not responding. Make sure
the scope is powered on and
connected correctly. Also make
sure you selected the correct scope
type

My scope was on, powerd with a switching wall adapter, #497 Meade Autostar Computer Controller works good, and of course the #505 compatible home made cable to the scope works (I tested with my laptop with Stellarium on windows 7)

Type of scope on SkySafari is put on ETX90/125 (There is no 105 but sure it means also ETX105 that is close the ETX90 and ETX125) and equatorial fork mount.

I tried also to put other type of scopes just to test but without any resutls, Always the error message and nothing to do.

Any other suggestions?  Do you test on ETX60 with success?

I also waited to align, sometimes they say that we must wait before to use SkySafari.

Now I have a Stop and no other things to do. Hope someone can tell me a trick to make it work.

Best

Pat

Attached Files

Edited by patrizioitalian, 24 August 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#43 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

joshumax:

Hi joshumax, I connected my BT adapter to my laptop, I run Realterm_2.0.0.70, I put the default port com 1, I opened it, and on send table, I wrote the AT Commands that are showed on the Bolutek Manual. Sincerly there are few commands, not all that I expected.

I pushed  also CR LF...on realterm in order to give everytime.

From the first command AT, It gives me OK,  his firmware version ecc... BT Module was connected to the laptop successfully. It received commands regularly.

I set baudrate to 4 (4 instead of 9600 as read on the manual), at the command AT+Baud it gives me 4 so it saved it. Then I sent AT+ENABLEIND to 0, default was 1 as you suggested to do.

When I started SkySafari and tried to connect BT module (that was only connected to my serial com1 of my laptop and not to my ETX scope) I saw some data coming in .

Tonight I tried to test it with my Meade ETX105.... unfortunately WITHOUT ANY RESULTS.. .

Error was exactly the same... A windows showed me this error:

Connection Failure

SkySafari Pro can make a wireless
connection to the scope, but the
scope is not responding. Make sure
the scope is powered on and
connected correctly. Also make
sure you selected the correct scope
type

My scope was on, powerd with a switching wall adapter, #497 Meade Autostar Computer Controller works good, and of course the #505 compatible home made cable to the scope works (I tested with my laptop with Stellarium on windows 7)

Type of scope on SkySafari is put on ETX90/125 (There is no 105 but sure it means also ETX105 that is close the ETX90 and ETX125) and equatorial fork mount.

I tried also to put other type of scopes just to test but without any resutls, Always the error message and nothing to do.

Any other suggestions?  Do you test on ETX60 with success?

I also waited to align, sometimes they say that we must wait before to use SkySafari.

Now I have a Stop and no other things to do. Hope someone can tell me a trick to make it work.

Best

Pat

Hmm, there could be a lot of points of failure on this setup....a few of the more obvious ones could be:

• Incorrect or broken null modem adapter.
  • BT serial adapter started up and plugged in AFTER the telescope has already turned on (Don't do this)
  • You put in the wrong scope make/model in skysafari settings (try LX200 classic in SkySafari (for ETX 60/90/125))
  • The serial adapter is in master mode not slave mode? (you probably put it in slave mode though)
  • Telescope adapter uses 5v breaks rather than 13v breaks (improbable)
  • BT adapter has been set to discard device replies (more common)

If that still doesn't work, can you send a dump of the commands being sent to the device when you tell SkySafari to connect to your scope?

#44 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:35 AM

Hmm, there could be a lot of points of failure on this setup....a few of the more obvious ones could be:

• Incorrect or broken null modem adapter.
  • BT serial adapter started up and plugged in AFTER the telescope has already turned on (Don't do this)
  • You put in the wrong scope make/model in skysafari settings (try LX200 classic in SkySafari (for ETX 60/90/125))
  • The serial adapter is in master mode not slave mode? (you probably put it in slave mode though)
  • Adattatore Telescopio utilizza pause 5v piuttosto che rompe 13V (improbabile)
  • BT adapter has been set to discard device replies (more common)

If that still doesn't work, can you send a dump of the commands being sent to the device when you tell SkySafari to connect to your scope?

Hi joshumax

• You said that null modem doesn't matter before, infact there is communication  between laptop and BT module and they interact each other, Do I need this when I connect (not to the computer) BUT TO THE SCOPE?
  • No, I put on the adapter and the telescope in the same time, the adapter was just plugged to the #497 Meade Autostar Computer Controller and then I put on the Meade Controller and the BT Adapter (somewhere was written to allign first, but ok, the BT adapter was just plugged).
  • I tried LX200 classic as I remembered, I tried 4 or 5 type of scopes of course before ending my tests, but in SkySafari there is the proper close scope to mine, it's just ETX90/125 (mine is ETX105 so... why not using this type), But Ok I will try again to change to LX200 and see what will happen.
  • The serial BT adapter could be slave and master, but of course the only way to recognize it is one from SkySafari, I don't remember maybe slave mode (I can try the opposite)
  • I power supply the telescope with his 12v (switchin wall power supply) and separately I power supply with 5v from an USB Samsung phone wall adapter, so the voltage are correct for the two device. Of course are powered separately as I said. I think could be in this way.
  • I don't know how to make BT adapter not to discard device replies, can you tell me how please? there is an AT command for this or?

When I have time today, i will send you a dump of the commands being sent to the device when I  tell SkySafari to connect to your scope?

As I remember there were strange caracters but ok it's a dump.

Another ask, when you connected BT adapter to the ETX60, which type of cable did you use for the scope? an original one or a home made compatible 505 cable as on attachment.

Best

Pat

Attached Files

Edited by patrizioitalian, 25 August 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#45 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

TARGET CENTERED

After some weeks of thinking and testing, when I had time to do...

Yes, tonight I saw move my ETX Telescope via Bluetooth with the cheapest BT Module :crazy:

Problem was only one:    NULL MODEM or terminal cable crossed.

I soldered again my home made #505 adapter cable, I didn't use a NULL MODEM but I only change pin 2 to pin 3 in the serial connector and ALL GOES WELL

So I can say that This (very cheap, less than 10 dollars) Bolutek BT Module

WORKS GREAT WITH MEADE ETX SCOPES with SkySafari PRO

This was my last try so, Fortunately went well.  Now I have to put my little BT Module in a plastic box and make a cable to power it from an external battery. I prefer to make my own power box with a 12v 7Ah sealed lead acid battery and a 5v regulator on it to power my scope, my BT Module and my Samsung Camera on it. One homemade like this Power Tank:

http://www.telescope...ply7amphour.cfm

BT Module that I tested before works with my Smartphone Samsung S4 and with my Samsung Tab where I have installed SkySafari PRO.

Hard or difficult things or not easily solvable things, allow you to learn and  use programs that maybe you never got to experience before. So now I know how to change some parameters to my BT Module and use the Realterm with Windows 7 or Hyperterminal with Windows XP...

Next STEP is WIFI MODULE... Yes, I would like also to test a little chinese wifi module also with a portable access point

Thanks to all for helping me and suggest how to solve my problem. Thanks first to this nice Forum.

Best

Pat

Edited by patrizioitalian, 26 August 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#46 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Glad to see you got it working Pat! Let us know if the wifi one works with SkySafari, that'd be very neat! Also, can you please share the name of the wifi module you want to test for reference?

#47 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

Glad to see you got it working Pat! Let us know if the wifi one works with SkySafari, that'd be very neat! Also, can you please share the name of the wifi module you want to test for reference?

Hi

WiFi module that I was interested to, (before this BT Module, my first thinking was on this wifi module) is a

HC-21-Embed-WIFI-to-Serial-Port-Wireless-Module-UART. Cost is about 14 dollars shipped (you can find it on the net) Of course we have to solve Ad Hoc connection problems but there are two ways, one is to see if our Android could make such connections, they say some tab could do, directly or by an app or maybe rooted or cooked rom, the second is to buy and bring with this wifi module, a cheap or second hand (or maybe we have one more at home that we don't use) wifi access point in order to bypass ad hoc problems. 

On Southern Stars • Support • FAQ • SkySafari for Android they say:

"How about telescope control?

Yes! SkySafari for Android supports telescope control, both via Wi-Fi and bluetooth. Unfortunately, Google has chosen to disable support for Ad Hoc WiFi networks, such as generated by our SkyFi wireless adapter, by default in the standard Android OS. You can enable Ad Hoc WiFi network support on your Android device, but you'll have to root the device to do it. Alternately, you can join both SkyFi and your Android device to an infrastructure WiFi network, such as provided by a typical home router - but then you'll need to carry that router with you, and find a way to power it, when you go to your remote observing site."

This is the WiFi Module I want to test next days:

http://i.ebayimg.com...pT2gj4/$_57.JPG

With this wifi module, we need also a TTL  to Serial adapter to bring signals to serial protocol, maybe for such telescope is just enough but I'm not sure.

This is another type but I think is NOT  IEEE 802.11-compliant device.

http://www.fut-elect...ART-Arduino.pdf

in the describtion I think is only a wireless module on 433 Mhz  and not 2.4 Ghz so I don't think is compatible with our android devices and SkySafari. So we must use the first one, cheap module so we can make every test without any problem.

You can look also at this manual for AT Commands...:

http://www.tcp232.net/download/USR-WIFI232-X-V4.3_en.pdf

Sincerly I prefer something that doesn't connect ad hoc cause if I want to use a wifi module, it means that I don't have my scope near me but installed for example in an other place, in a country house away from the lights or ..

Best

Pat.

Edited by patrizioitalian, 28 August 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#48 elmiko

elmiko

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I just got the rn 270 BT. My nexus 7 pairs up with it. But I can't connect to my celestron advance series mount. What am I doing wrong?

#49 btschumy

btschumy

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Since you haven't told us what you did, it is hard to know what went wrong.  Some things to check:

1. Make sure you've chosen the correct scope type in the Settings.  You probably need the "Celestron AVX/CGE/CGEM" option.

2. Make sure "Connect via Bluetooth" is chosen in the Settings.

3. If you can't connect to your telescope, make sure all cables are connected correctly to the RS-232 port on your telescope's hand controller or mount base, and not to the AUX port, HBX port, autoguider port, etc.

4. Make sure you're using the correct serial cable combination for your telescope. A Celestron NexStar serial cable will not work with a Meade Autostar hand controller - even though it will physically fit into the Autostar's RS-232 jack - or vice-versa

5. Many telescopes will not respond to some (or all) external commands until they have been star-aligned. Did you remember to star-align your telescope before connecting with SkyFi?

If you still can't connect, open a support ticket at:  https://support.simu...us_requests/new

#50 joshumax

joshumax

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

I just got the rn 270 BT. My nexus 7 pairs up with it. But I can't connect to my celestron advance series mount. What am I doing wrong?

Read my previous post:

That should fix it if you're using an AVX or CG-5 mount...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics