40 replies to this topic

#1 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Fellow CNers,
In this deep sky forum we have, at the moment, three top threads in a row with names of celestial objects misspelled on the subject lines. A typo here and there is fine...

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Fellow CNers,
In this deep sky forum we have, at the moment, three top threads in a row with names of celestial objects misspelled on the subject lines. A typo here and there is fine...

Agreed - could we drop these silly names and use official designations only :-)

#3 Natty Bumppo

Natty Bumppo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Post deleted by Natty Bumppo

#4 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Caldwell Caldwell Caldwell Caldwell Caldwell

:question:
Really? These are just renamed NGC catalog objects for the most part.

#5 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

Caldwell Caldwell Caldwell Caldwell Caldwell

:question:
Really? These are just renamed NGC catalog objects for the most part.

Well, many are, but the Caldwell numbers are very far from being considered official catalog numbers and really should not be used for identification. The NGC, IC, and other standard scientific catalog designations should be used here to help prevent any possible confusion. However, there are a few somewhat standardized names for some deep-sky objects, so I don't exactly have a huge objection to names being used (as long as the proper true catalog numbers are also presented). Just don't get me started about the infamous "Cave" Nebula (which really should have been left in a cave somewhere and not put on a "best-of" deep-sky listing). Clear skies to you.

#6 Natty Bumppo

Natty Bumppo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

#7 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:15 AM

There was no discussion of bylaws and the subject says "please". So, let's be somewhat civilized and put the official designation along with whatever screwy name that seems to attract folks. NGC 253 is still a beautiful galaxy regardless of its "name".

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

#8 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hey Nathaniel,

What's he talking about?

#9 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

I use the NGC or IC or other proper name IF the storms would end at new moon. I am now convinced that when the new moon cycle shifts to the first of the month it falls out of the fair weather pattern to the stormy pattern. I am sick of clouds at new moon.

#10 Natty Bumppo

Natty Bumppo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

#11 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

There was no discussion of bylaws and the subject says "please". So, let's be somewhat civilized and put the official designation along with whatever screwy name that seems to attract folks. NGC 253 is still a beautiful galaxy regardless of its "name".

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

I know all that. What I was trying to say, in a humorous light, was that if we're going to be so uptight, anal, and PC here with how we discuss what we observe, it takes the fun out of not just observing, but of interacting and sharing our findings and feelings of what we observe. It is conceited attitudes like that which turn newcomers off and push even veteran amateurs away from the hobby. Not to mention the desire of putting someone on the "ignore" list for being a "know it all" instead of simply googling, and still sharing in the other person's joy of describing what they just found and doing their best to describe. Good grief.

Wow! I thought that when we were sharing with others ment that we wanted to talk in a way that others would understand. All people do not use the Caldwell list or know what those numbers are. What if I was talking about observing L220, would you know that I was talking about the Open Cluster NGC 6910, the Rocking Horse Cluster in Cygnus that's in David Levy's Deep-Sky Gems List as number 220? Probably not. You see when we talk we wont to comunicate with others what we are looking at, not just share our emotions about what we saw when others do not have a clue about what we are looking at. If needing to understand what you are looking at is being so uptight, anal, and PC, well then so be it. It would appear that those who share would like everyone to know what they are talking about and would like to learn without being as defensive as you are. Therefore we should use standard identifiers for objects along with common names and or other list designations.

#12 Natty Bumppo

Natty Bumppo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

The only "designation" that raises hackles with me is the Caldwell "list". I get it a lot of folks have a fond place in their heart for Mr. Moore but from conception Ive been completely at odds with it. The ring and dumbbell is fine with me, blinking planetary is pushing it, but on the whole the nicknames are ok and al together a very human expression.

Pete

#14 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Personally I think the OP is doing a general dressing down finger wagging not unlike a school teacher of peoples spelling errors. I don't think he was trying to make a point as to what designation was used for naming the object. If you look at his blog he actually has used Caldwell designations.

With regards to what I believe is his origional point and with it coming from the perspective of a father who has a son who is very bright but has some specific learning disabilities my response is, "really dude, get over it". My son likes to be active on the internet in various forums regarding his interests. Why should a few spelling errors stop that? And spell check isn't always the answer. If the spelling is way off it will guess wrong and if he doesn't know the spelling in the first place how would he know the correct one? I'd rather try to encourage people.

So if I'm wrong about how I intepreted the OP's title then sorry.

Bill

#15 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

I, too, thought it was about the spelling errors. It is annoying. I'm pretty hung up on spelling errors in my OWN posts but just grin-and-bear-it with others'.

#16 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

So if I'm wrong about how I intepreted the OP's title then sorry.

Bill

You are not wrong.

Should I recommend remedial reading workshops? ;)

#17 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Well I was just looking at the Belching Cow Nebula in Seefeus, then
onward to the Honking Goose cluster in Signis. Ursula Mayjor was
too low to get a look at the Swirling Drain galaxy however.

#18 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Ejn,

Sorry man - there's no Y in major.

Pete

#19 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

EJN, the posters that most annoy purists like the OP and me would never have used the correct "too" like you did in your facetious example. (I looked up the correct spelling of facetious.)

#20 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm with you but doubt that I would have posted on it. I was appalled with myself when I discovered that I have posted about "Delphinius"- adding the second, incorrect "i".

#21 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

A lot of folks today use their phones to post and the dinky little touchscreen pads so there is that. At any rate I can ignore a lot of typos for decent content.

Pete

#22 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

• Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

:shrug: ... but it's also fun when observing with a group to invent silly names for clusters, nebulae, galaxies, etc. - just so long as there's a valid designation for the logbook! :p

It would help if there were free spell checkers, dictionaries, and a worthwhile thesaurus for browsers that are better "guessers" for intent rather than just a "correct" spelling for any old word - but English, particularly the "American" conglomeration, is anything but "simple" - especially for those trying to read posts that suffer from loquacious verbosity! :rainbow:

#23 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

I'm pretty hung up on spelling errors in my OWN posts but just grin-and-bear-it with others'.

I get hung up with spelling errors particularly when they change (or at least confuse) the meaning of the sentence. Don't people proof read their material? Interestingly, I don't recollect spelling errors from you "senior posters"* who generally articulate your comments very well.

*senior posters = posters on this thread with 1000 or more posts

And of course, my comments don't apply to our non-English speaking friends. I admire these people for knowing more than one language.

#24 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

OK. So is it pronounced Betelgeuse or Betelgeuse?

I've heard both but I prefer the first.

The second pronunciation is as foolish as those who think they're cute by mispronouncing the seventh planet. I immediately discount them.

And...Pluto is the ninth planet. It has moons, thus it's a planet. I declare such.

#25 IVM

IVM

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

I thank you all for your comments and for your attention to this little matter of our forum's appearance. And of course I did not mean for my OP to sound overbearing - only collegial.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics