• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ion

ion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle Scale 2

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

"Even a tiny amount of light can suppress sleep-time levels of melatonin -- a well-known antioxidant, explains lead researcher Davide Dominoni. Reduce melatonin levels in our bodies, and free-radicals likely increase -- which age us faster."

http://www.huffingto..._n_3955226.html

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

That is most definitely true, I also find that light makes it difficult for me to sleep. I have to black out my room in order to sleep well, especially when I work odd hours in shifts that many would rightfully call, unpleasant. The noise of cities is also a major stressor to me too. That is why I enjoy going to a remote area without anybody else around with my telescopes. Hearing nothing but crickets, owls and frogs is very soothing. The only other natural sound that is even more so for me is falling rain.

Taras

#3 wavecloud

wavecloud

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

I agree. LP is not too bad at my place, but it still makes me sleep somewhat poorly, Or a tiny bit of light shining thriugh my window from the first floor of my house.

#4 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'm a day sleeper and it sux for the most part. Lots of light and noise even with my windows blacked out. To get a guaranteed good night's sleep I have to take a Lunesta and melatonin to get more than 6 hours of sleep. Otherwise I only get around 4 hours at a clip. Survivable, but far from optimal.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics