CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss,yes, With old school GPC or built in barlow?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

These are a pair of Zeiss binos purchased a while back. They work in 2 receivers. most of the time only with a barlow in refractors. which has me scratchin" ma noggin a bit. In the 2" nose is a pair of doublets, that I would think would be a GPC or a barlow. but either one of those would make a pair of binos useable in a refractor. but these do not. I still need a barlow or GPC to come to focus in a refractor. except for my 120 "MUTT" that has a removable spacer in the focuser that will bring ANY bino to focus. I finally got this thing apart today (3rd try!) and found that pulling both doublets out and exposing the prisms, that putting it in a big barlow makes it work very nicely. I also tried it with and without a barlow, using only the first doublet. The image was focused? somewhat but terrible. some parts focused and others not. lastly. with both doublets in and using the big barlow, I could come to good focus again, but it makes a huge magnification.

Is anyone familiar with this model? I am leaning towards a built in barlow, and not a GPC, but I still do not understand why it will not come to focus in a refractor without a barlow in place.

Attached Files

#2 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

The other end.

Attached Files

#3 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

first doublet next to prism

Attached Files

#4 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

order of lenses

Attached Files

#5 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

If it matters, both doublets have the convex side facing forward (out towards objective).

Theo

#6 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

nobody has ever seen this?

#7 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Well, I tried these in a bino friendly scope that has a removable section for bino use. In two different manners. With the doublets in place, and without. The only difference I can determine is a distance of 1/2" of the focuser.

So why are these mounted in this bino?

#8 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

Anybody have any answers to this yet?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics