Photo

In the process of Building my Observatory.

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#26 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Tim it's looking real good , I'm glad to see Your feeling better to , I hope your Wife is doing better also , If memory serves last time we posts You and your Wife were not feeling so well and had a Doctors appointment ,I hope everything is OK, And put that Stepson to work :smash:

#27 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Here is another shot of the build.Walls are up as are the outriggers and roll off roof supports/4x4 posts. The steel angle iron,for the roofs v-casters,is mounted on the top plate and painted with Rustoleum flat black. I also painted the floor of the OBS last early last night as it was suppose to start raining this afternoon,it did and is suppose to continue on and off thru Saturday.

Attached Files

#28 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

Nate,Thanks for your reply, both my wife and I are feeling much better. As far as getting help from the kids,yeah right ,like that's going to happen. Honestly though,I prefer to work by myself unless it is way to heavy for me to handle by myself. My stepson did get the footings all dug for me with his Bobcat loader though and I was very appreciative for that.A case was waiting for him afterwards.
I will tell you though even though I had just built an observatory last year at a friends house,75 miles away, I kind of forgotten how heavy those 2"x8" treated boards can be let alone with 3/4" 4x8 plywood. I worked my tail off on that OBS yet this one seems to be really kicking my tail.

#29 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

I did mine by myself to and I know what ya mean about the Boards getting heaver , I think every year they add weight to them :bugeyes: :lol: It's coming out grate , can't wait to see the finished product , Keep the :photo: coming

Nate

#30 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Nate,I had a few other things that had to get done today before the sky decided to fall. So the only 2 things I got done today were installing a window and spray painting with rustoleum flat black,the angle iron after it was installed.

#31 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

Nate,I had a few other things that had to get done today before the sky decided to fall. So the only 2 things I got done today were installing a window and spray painting with rustoleum flat black,the angle iron after it was installed.

Ya I feel fa ya , I know you must be fighting time to , I think the weather over there is starting to get cold also :coldday:

#32 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western NH

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

looks like it is coming along nicely
Norm

#33 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Nate and Norm for your comments. All I got accomplished today was painting the siding for the OBS in my garage. Been raining most of the day and suppose to continue on and off thru Saturday.I had 11 4'x8' sheets and it took 1 1/4 gallons of Behr all in one primer and paint to get the job done. Good thing I had the extra 1/4 gallon left over from painting my woodworking shop a few years ago. The cost of paint has really gone up in the past couple of years! :crazy:

#34 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Tim, it's really coming along nicely. The first night you view from your new observatory, you will forget how heavy those boards, etc. were! :) It will all be well worth it!

#35 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Carol,I appreciate all the comments of encouragement from everyone on the cloud.The most difficult part for me is coming up. I plan to build a Hip roof for the OBS. Now I have never built a Hip before and since I have already ordered and received the red steel roofing,there's no going back and building a gable end style roof.
I am using 2"x6" boards and making it a vaulted ceiling so as to have plenty of head room for the scopes.

One thing I really wish I had done,was had my 10" LX200 scope here when before I had poured the pier. As it stands now,The pier height from the floor up is 48 3/4" tall. I had planned to make the wallsto a 6' height yet after pouring the pier,had to go with the 4' height. I am 6'3" tall yet and with the walls now set at a height of 86 1/2", so that the one scope stays within the OBS,I am going to have to build a platform around the pier base so I will not have to use a ladder for viewing lower in the sky. I feel so much like an idiot for not having checked the height of the LX200 10" at zenith before pouring the pier.

There will be times when I want my CR150 HD 6" Refractor mounted on the pier ,so the height of the pier will be an advantage,yet will still have to add an additional pier extension to it so I am not on my knees to view thru it. There seems to be way too many variables to think about when building this permanent structure.

The one main thing to consider for me, was and still is aesthetics of the OBS as far as my wife is considered. She has stated the outrigger portion looks like a car port. I will have to think of something to kind of disguise or otherwise enhance the looks of that end somehow. The OBS is next to the area that is our vegetable garden. In fact,the support posts are partially in the garden.

Attached Files

#36 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

I have a question for anyone that has used steel roofing for their OBS. Normally when steel is used for roofing on a pole barn , you place purlins on the trusses and attach the roofing to them.
I am using 7/16" OSB plywood for the substrate on the roof then placing the steel on that.
The roof will have a 3/12 pitch so as not to block as much of the view when rolled off.

There are 2 main reasons for the OSB sheathing in my opinion. One reason is without it,using purlins,condensation will form on the underside of the steel as it has on a previous OBS build I have done.
The other reason in my mind, at a 3/12 pitch,with snow on the roof, OSB will strengthen the roof.
Now, Is there really a need to apply roofing felt prior to the steel? You definitely would if using asphalt shingles,yet is it really necessary for steel?
Stupid question Right? Of course, the more protection the better. Just thought I would throw that out there and get some insight since I have only used this type of roofing once before..

#37 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western NH

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

yes as I think you will still get condensation on the underside of the steel roofing panels. I used steel roofing panels , plywood, and used a self sealing membrane from Home Depot as I didn't want to take any chances of leaks
Norm

#38 Scott Horstman

Scott Horstman

Vendor - Backyard Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Here, There and Everywhere

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yes use the paper. Like Norm said, you still want the vapor barrier. Another good reason for the OSB on the roof is to strengthen the structure, especially if you motorize it.

#39 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks, Norm and Scott for your replies. I will definitely use either 15 or 30 lb tar paper for added protection.

#40 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Tim , I think it was you asking about a seal to keep dust down on a other Tread for your ROR Obs, This would be something to look into , Because of the radius of My Dome I could Not get it to work , But this Stuff could be used on All Sides of a ROR Obs. www.Memtechbrush.com

Nate

#41 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Nate,thanks for the link. I checked those out and it appears as though the bristles would not be long enough to be useful for my application. thanks anyway.

#42 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Try here; all different thickness/lengths

Link

I had planned on using these on the railing sides; but am very happy with the garage door strips.

#43 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Carol,Thank You for the link. I believe though that the price is way more than I can afford or would like to spend.Maybe,I will look into what you have,the garage door strips,hopefully they won't be too high in cost.
I attached the casters yesterday to the 2'x8' boards yesterday and wow they are going to be quite a bit higher off the top plate of the wall than I had anticipated.
With the design I have now,4" V casters
,the roof will be rolling at least 7 inches higher than the top plate of the walls. On the other OBS I built the casters are smaller and only have the roof rolling about 4 inches higher than the walls. I guess this is no big deal though.

#44 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

It is only going to be 52 degrees f today,burr,yet if the rain holds off,I am going to try and get something done outside. I do not like to have construction lumber out when it can get wet as it tends to warp when not secured properly,if you know what I mean. Guess I worry too much when it comes to this though as house construction always goes on in all kinds of weather.
Blizzard still going on 200 miles to the west and we could still get more rain here thru tomorrow. Extremely weird weather here,Tornadoes 90 miles away last night while Blizzard going on a less than a couple hundred miles to the west.

#45 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Tim, This is what I used.

the roof will be rolling at least 7 inches higher than the top plate of the walls.

However, it you are going to have a gap this large, this stripping will not cover it. I have a very small gap between the roof and the base of the observatory. I worry that you will be getting lots of uninvited "guests" thru a gap that large. You may have to figure some sort of cover on the outside of the building, attached to the moving roof section.

#46 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Carol, I guess I should have stated a little more than the gap height. I do plan to install a skirt to cover the gap distance and the way you took care of closing the gap left over would work for me. Thank you for your continued replies and help. Tim

#47 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

:waytogo:

You're most welcome, Tim!

#48 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

Today I got the casters mounted on the 2"x8" runners and placed on the top of the walls.Even though I have been working on this project for merely a week,it doesn't seem to be going fast enough. I think I would be further along if the weather would just co-operate. Today only got to 45 degrees f and rain threatened all day. Tomorrow is another day yet with a 40 percent chance of rain again,I feel as though not much will be accomplished again. Hopefully forecasters will be wrong.

I stated above that I have merely been working on this build for a week yet after going back to another thread that I had discussing concrete,I realized that I had started the OBS build on Sept.24th so it has been 2 weeks now since I started. Good grief ,am I getting that old to where I forget so easily the time that has passed. :foreheadslap: No wonder I feel as though this is going so slow. :confused:

Attached Files

#49 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

In the last image, the window is facing north towards our house. Here is a send image of the back side showing the runner with the casters in place. Tomorrow I am going to see about getting the siding on that I painted in the garage on Thursday. Even though the wood the casters are mounted on is not treated,they are quite heavy at 12' long.

Attached Files

#50 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

(Cloudy) I see what you are saying about the Weather TIM ,It kind-Da reminds Me of when I lived in Louisiana, I hope it clears up Fa-Ya , :cloudy: If not you might have to turn your Obs into Noah's Ark :gramps:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics