Photo

In the process of Building my Observatory.

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

#101 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Looks good!

#102 Toml08

Toml08

Explorer 1

• Loc: Evergeen, CO

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Tim very,very nice build you have going. Love the roof.

CS,
Tom.

#103 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, the roof looks wonderful!

#104 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks much Chris,Tom and Steve for your very appreciated approval.

I spent today finishing up the roof and then had one honey do list item that needed to be taken care of.
Gutters needed to be cleaned before the rain coming tomorrow.
So here a couple of shots of the now finished roof showing the ridge cap.

Attached Files

#105 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Here is another at a different angle.

Attached Files

#106 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

And one last shot for the day.

Attached Files

#107 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

:waytogo: Looking good Tim ,Got your drip edge up and your roof done , Pretty soon you are going to be looking at the Stars ,

Nate

#108 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

Thanks Nate, The true test will be tomorrow and Tuesday as to whether it will weather the storm. Suppose to rain for the next 2 days and need to get the skirting and vertical boards on, to finish the siding.

#109 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

I'm sure it will hold up to the weather with no problems , I don't recall seeing , but you do have a way to lock down the Roof from winds rights ?

#110 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Nate, thank you for continuing to comment and for asking questions regarding my OBS. Yes , I do have 4 Turnbuckles,1 in each corner inside the OBS that lock it in place when closed.you can see one of them in this shot.

Attached Files

#111 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Wow ,Am I glad I got the roof finished yesterday. The rain gods have opened the the faucets again for the third time in the month I have been working my Scopes new home. Now it is only going to get colder with every passing day.

#112 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Your roof job looks really nice!

Have you decided on how you are going to close that gap where the wheels are? That will let in a lot of moisture, not to mention bugs and possibly critters.

#113 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thanks again Carol. I have decided to use a 2"x12" board on the west side for a stop when closing and 1"x 12"'s on the other sides for the skirting. Then to close the small gap,I am considering your choice of the garage door seal.
My son suggested the same material that is used on the sides of garage doors that seals them up on the outside.Yet I think that rubber would wear out too fast as it is fairly thin.

I am going to use your idea of the paint brush for over the angle iron that the casters roll on to cover that area.

#114 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

:waytogo: Sounds good, Tim.

The garage door seal for the bottom of doors that I used, is pretty stout, yet flexible; and I don't foresee it wearing out. I'm not familiar with the side of the door seal.

#115 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Even though it is not ready for it yet, I have been thinking about what to use for the interior sheathing/finished walls. My wife keeps asking me if I am going to use drywall yet it would take more time to finish that then it would to just use plywood.
Also I was thinking that sheet rock would also tend to absorb humidity more and while the roof was open if dew formed the moisture might cause a problem unless I went with what is sometimes referred to as "Blue Board". What I believe to be a wet location drywall, much more expensive.

I know quite a few on here have just left the walls unfinished or just painted the stud walls,yet I would like the studs covered.
What do you all suggest?
Do you insulate if it is not going to be heated?
Seeing how the roof is not totally sealed to the building,isn't insulating just a waste?
I would appreciate any and all comments,thoughts on the subject.
I plan to hang my Bass Guitars on the walls and use the area during the day for playing them. That way I won't be bothering my wife at any time while playing them in the house.

#116 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Seeing how the roof is not totally sealed to the building,isn't insulating just a waste?

When the roof is closed, it should be pretty well sealed to the building. I can go in mine during daylight, close the door, and see absolutely no daylight anywhere.

I used pegboard that I painted for the walls. In the photo you can also see the garage door bottom strip to seal the wheel area.

Attached Files

#117 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

Nate, thank you for continuing to comment and for asking questions regarding my OBS. Yes , I do have 4 Turnbuckles,1 in each corner inside the OBS that lock it in place when closed.you can see one of them in this shot.

Opps Sorry I missed that in the other Photo , :rainbow: , It looks like your at the point where you could work inside your Obs if the weather is bad , :)

#118 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

[quote name="tim57064"]Even though it is not ready for it yet, I have been thinking about what to use for the interior sheathing/finished walls. My wife keeps asking me if I am going to use drywall yet it would take more time to finish that then it would to just use plywood.
Also I was thinking that sheet rock would also tend to absorb humidity more and while the roof was open if dew formed the moisture might cause a problem unless I went with what is sometimes referred to as "Blue Board". What I believe to be a wet location drywall, much more expensive.[quote]
Tim , I'm against the Drywall , because in the dark you will bang things around , I used 5/8" Thick 4'X 8' Smart siding on the inside as well as the outside , At the time I got it ,it was about $28.00 a board , It is more expensive , but I think worth it , I would Insulate the walls , Just like your ROR Obs has some openings , My Dome does also , But still cuts way down on the Humidity & Temp if Insulated , When on super hot days I would turn on the AC for a few Hours , after turning the AC off it would remain cool for a good time if I don't keep opening the door , Insulated Walls works for me , :waytogo:

#119 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Carol & Nate,I want to thank you both for your responses.

Nate,We've had bad weather all day today.There were times where the rain was coming down sideways and what was coming off the roof was being blown back up into the air. You could clearly see that happening on the OBS from inside our house.
I have not been out there all day because of rain yet I am sure,since the skirting is still not on, that the floor of the OBS is probably very wet.
At least it is protected since I painted the floor not long after installing.
The rain is suppose to persist thru tomorrow and we have already had over 2 inches today alone,so far.

#120 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'd just leave it studs since you want to run remotely from the garage.

#121 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Carol & Nate,I want to thank you both for your responses.

Nate,We've had bad weather all day today.There were times where the rain was coming down sideways and what was coming off the roof was being blown back up into the air. You could clearly see that happening on the OBS from inside our house.
I have not been out there all day because of rain yet I am sure,since the skirting is still not on, that the floor of the OBS is probably very wet.
At least it is protected since I painted the floor not long after installing.
The rain is suppose to persist thru tomorrow and we have already had over 2 inches today alone,so far.

I'm sorry to hear about all that bad weather you guys are having , :(

#122 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Wow, when it rains, it must REALLY pour. Two inches??? Be glad it is not snow, I guess.

#123 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Tim I enclosed my ceilings with 1/4" AC plywood and nailed it off with 3d box galvnized. You could use an air nailer if you had one. It's work but it gives the roof a finished look and keeps the wasp and spider nests out permanently. ;) Mike

#124 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

We had a total of 2.76 inches of rain and at times it was coming down horizontally.
I went out to check the OBS this morning and to my surprise,even with no skirting covering the gap between the roof and the walls,there was NO Water inside on the floor! Yeah! There was some paper towels I had left out there also and they were dry too. Unbelievable.
Now it has to quit drizzling so I can get back to work. I have some extra items to go back to Menards and can use that money to get the skirting material and the vertical boards for the siding and trim.

Thanks Nate and Steve for your replies. Yeah, 2 3/4"'s of rain would have been well over 2 feet of snow. Like what Rapid City got a week ago.

Mike,I do want to cover the ceiling. Since I have 2"x6" rafters,thinking of insulating them also. Then the 1/4" ac plywood would be easy and light enough to install.Would look really nice finished off also.
I have been using both an air nailer and decking screws for the build.

#125 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

We had a total of 2.76 inches of rain and at times it was coming down horizontally.
I went out to check the OBS this morning and to my surprise,even with no skirting covering the gap between the roof and the walls,there was NO Water inside

I'm glad to hear that you have NO problems ,WOW! talk about a Silver lining around the Clouds, I'm going to start hanging around you because you have friends upstairs :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics