• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 midlife

midlife

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

Good morning, I have a new z8 and the center dot is off quite a bit, among other things with the primary. I have seen a lot of posts on this, and how to center a new one, but how do I remove the current one? Any tips would be great.

Thanks

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

With the mirror out of the tube but still in its cell, I use an exacto knife to peel up the edge of the ring. Carefully pluck it off, then reapply at the center spot. Don't worry about scratching the mirror at the center, it does not see any light due to your secondary.

#3 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centerville, OH

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

If it doesn't want to come off peacefully, you can try letting a small puddle of alcohol sit on it to soften the glue. Acetone will work as well (try the alcohol first though). It will require a new center for though. The small notebook paper "reinforcing" rings work great as a replacement.

#4 midlife

midlife

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I didn't think marring the mirror in the center would matter, but wasn't sure if scratching the coating woukd cause it to want to flake over time. Anyway, I used a toothpick, it left a lot of the adhesive behind. I scratched the adhesive off with the toothpick with a dab of dishsoap, then rinsed the whole thing with distilled water. Thanks for the replys, it is at least a relief to know I wouldn't screw it up!

On the subject of mirrors, is it normal for there to be uncoated spots around the edge protruding onto the mirror surface? I assume it is from the work holders when they deposit the coating. It would be nice if they matched the coating holders to the cell holders so I didn't have five spots instead of 3 of no reflection around the edge.

#5 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

How big are they? Can you take a pic?

Small is normal, and you are right, it's from the work holding they use during coating. How many spots depends on how they hold it. 3-5 seems ok.

#6 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

Get a "Hot Spot". I hear they are the best.

#7 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

http://catseyecollimation.com/

#8 midlife

midlife

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

The the largest uncoated spot is a little smaller than the mirror clips/clamps. There are 3 spots. I rotated the mirror so the largest is under a clamp but the other two are visible.

#9 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Completely normal. They won't impact viewing. If they really bug you, you can choke down the aperture a bit. This also is a "cheater" way of hiding a turned mirror edge...

#10 midlife

midlife

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Turned mirror edge, is that the bevel around the OD? and thanks for the response, I feel better about it now.

#11 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

No - the bevel is purposely cut there to prevent the edge from chipping. A turned edge cannot be seen by looking at the mirror, but it is a frequent issue with mass-produced mirrors. Mine is turned up slightly. I have a circular mask that blocks 1/4" of the mirror edge on my scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics