Photo

VERY bright green meteor Friday night

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Ranger 4

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I just posted a report on the American Meteor Society of the very bright green meteor that entered the atmosphere at 11:33 p.m. EDT last night over Ohio.

I was observing from a dark site under a very clear sky in north-central Kentucky, when the sky suddenly turned green. When I turned to the northeast, I saw this VERY bright meteor streaking across Perseus, coming from the general direction of southern Pegasus.

It flickered several times, though I saw no fragments separate from the meteor. It lasted about four seconds, and the train was visible for around 45 seconds.

Brightest meteor I recall since the 1966 Leonids. I was deep-sky observing by myself, but my jaw dropped at the site, and I could only say "WOW!" out loud.

It's been reported by hundreds of others of course. I missed the morning meteor that had occurred the previous day over Indiana.

Lucky and glad I was out there!

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

There are several observation reports and a video posted up in general observing.

#3 payner

payner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I was observing near Lawrenceburg, KY 9/27 and was looking down to get an eyepiece and wow, a bright flash of electric green instantly got my attention. Luckily I immediately looked to the NE and saw the yellow-orange streak of the meteor arcing about 30 degrees above my horizon; the arc lasted only several seconds. Startling, but amazing.

Best,
Randy

#4 Galicapernistein

Galicapernistein

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit Michigan

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

I was observing from SE Michigan that night and thought I saw the meteor everybody has been talking about, but the one I saw came down just before darkness set in. It was very bright, but I couldn't see a tail from my perspective. I wonder if the two were related?

#5 mseto

mseto

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I saw it from north of Cincinnati. Was walking the dog around 11:30 and suddenly the whole street lit up green. Turned around and caught it just as it disappeared behind the treeline.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics