CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

VERY bright green meteor Friday night

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Ranger 4

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I just posted a report on the American Meteor Society of the very bright green meteor that entered the atmosphere at 11:33 p.m. EDT last night over Ohio.

I was observing from a dark site under a very clear sky in north-central Kentucky, when the sky suddenly turned green. When I turned to the northeast, I saw this VERY bright meteor streaking across Perseus, coming from the general direction of southern Pegasus.

It flickered several times, though I saw no fragments separate from the meteor. It lasted about four seconds, and the train was visible for around 45 seconds.

Brightest meteor I recall since the 1966 Leonids. I was deep-sky observing by myself, but my jaw dropped at the site, and I could only say "WOW!" out loud.

It's been reported by hundreds of others of course. I missed the morning meteor that had occurred the previous day over Indiana.

Lucky and glad I was out there!

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

There are several observation reports and a video posted up in general observing.

#3 payner

payner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I was observing near Lawrenceburg, KY 9/27 and was looking down to get an eyepiece and wow, a bright flash of electric green instantly got my attention. Luckily I immediately looked to the NE and saw the yellow-orange streak of the meteor arcing about 30 degrees above my horizon; the arc lasted only several seconds. Startling, but amazing.

Best,
Randy

#4 Galicapernistein

Galicapernistein

Ranger 4

• Loc: Detroit Michigan

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

I was observing from SE Michigan that night and thought I saw the meteor everybody has been talking about, but the one I saw came down just before darkness set in. It was very bright, but I couldn't see a tail from my perspective. I wonder if the two were related?

#5 mseto

mseto

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I saw it from north of Cincinnati. Was walking the dog around 11:30 and suddenly the whole street lit up green. Turned around and caught it just as it disappeared behind the treeline.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics