• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DumbGuy

DumbGuy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upper Marlboro, MD

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

I want to motorize my ROR observatory. The structure is 12 X 20. The roof is composed of 2X4 framing, 7/16 OSB sheating, and 35yr architectural shingles. The roof weighs about 1500 lbs. I'm thinking of modifying a sliding gate rack gear motor (see link below) to move the roof. With additional upgraded steel racks it'll cost me about $500. Significantly less than the cheapest astronomy vendor. Will this work, are there any drawbacks? Please give me your ideas and thoughts on this.

http://www.wholesale...er-p/ar2700.htm

#2 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Guy,

It looks like it would work to me...only thing that comes to mind is that if you set it up on one one edge of the roof, would the roof want to twist and perhaps jamb, as the 'driven' side always wants to pull, and friction slows the other edge down. If you can move it by pushing/pulling on one side, I think you'd be safe
Russ

#3 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

There are a lot of ways to move that Roof , and I agree with (roscoe) Post , I would think it's better to open it from both sides at the same time or from the middle ,

#4 DumbGuy

DumbGuy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Roscoe and Megabusa,

Thanks for your input. I would be mounting the motor in the center of the roof to minimize any uneven drag or pull on one side. My concerns are 1) can the motor assembly be mounted upside down, and 2) is the rated speed a little too fast, it moves the sliding gate at 39.4ft/min.

Megabusa, you mentioned that there are many ways to move that roof, I would be interested in hearing your ideas.

Thanks

#5 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

These are a few ways

www.pier-tech.com

You can also check into a Elc Host that goes in reverse , Used for trucks and ATVs , Any HD Elc Motor Comp could set you up , You could use a Cog gear and Track , You could use a Cable design, Look into the Elc motors use in flat bed Tow Trucks, and I know they make a HD Commercial grade Garage Door motors and tracks I think it could pull & push 1500 LBS ,I would look into this frist , What ever you use or go with make sure you tell them that you need a slow RPM speed motor or gearing , Let them know what you are using it for. Keep us posted and let us see some photos ,

#6 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

www.jimstar11.com

Click on the ( New ROR Motor Kit Available Here ) Link

This one looks good to,

#7 DumbGuy

DumbGuy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Megabusa for the links. I've looked at those sites for sometime now. The Aleko Sliding Gate Gear Rack Motor System is about 1/3 cost of that offered by JMISTAR, thus catching my eye and speculation as to whether or not it would work for my application. I've emaile Aleko with my specific needs and am awaiting their response. I think the motor is a slow rpm, if you look at the picture on their site you'll see a spur gear and I mentioned earlier that the motor moves the sliding gate at about 39.4 ft/min., so at that rate it shouldn't fling my roof off.

I'm interested in your tow truck motor suggestion also.

The idea is to keep this on the cheap and still have a motorized system that will move my roof back and forth smoothly and efficiently.

#8 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

www.jimstar11.com

!Wow! Hi dollar Buckeruees ,that is High , Maybe you could call the Company where you getting your Gate opener and ask them How much Weight can that Handel . By-the-way I don't know what I did wrong but here's the new Link for www.jimstar11.com , go to it and click on ( New ROR Motor Kit Available here ) Link , But this is the High $$$ Motors , I think it,s the same as the first Link I gave Ya , But at a different place I think.

#9 DumbGuy

DumbGuy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

The claim is that the AR2700 can move a gate weighing 2700 lbs (tus the "2700") some 60 feet at 39.4 ft/min for about $240 which includes 13 feet of nylon gear rack and two remote controllers. You can upgrade your gear rack to steel which is what I plan to do. So for the price and claims I'm very interested in pursuing this.

#10 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

The claim is that the AR2700 can move a gate weighing 2700 lbs (tus the "2700") some 60 feet at 39.4 ft/min for about $240 which includes 13 feet of nylon gear rack and two remote controllers. You can upgrade your gear rack to steel which is what I plan to do. So for the price and claims I'm very interested in pursuing this.

So far this might be your best bet ,I looked at the Gate opener and it looks like it will work,I can't see why not, But cover all your bases , make sure you can adapt it to what you are going to do, Some times manufacturers will let you down load the Owners Manual, That might help to. Keep us updated .
Nate

#11 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

A few of us just did this with garage door openers. It was pretty easy and I documented in my build thread if you'd like to see it. Any questions, just PM me. You'll need at least 2 extension kits for the particular genie it requires.

#12 DumbGuy

DumbGuy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

After much thought, if I were to mount the Aleko 2700 in such a fashion so as to pull the roof from the center, the 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 that I would have to run the length of the roof from one end of the frame to the other end to which the gear rack would be screwed to, would not be supported in the center or anywhere and would flex. The resulting flexure would cause the teeth on the gear rack and spur gear from the motor to become unmessed. Gear teeth may be stripped, damaged, etc. as a result. The gearing assembly would slip and possibly become unhitched. If this is to work, the motor assemby has to be mounted on one side of the roof frame, this unfortunately may result in an uneven pull and twist of the roof.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics