CPC motor problems. Somebody help me!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wilami

wilami

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm having a great problem with a CPC 800 ALT motor. When press the tracking button (up/down) on the hand control, the motor moves in a excessive tracking velocity ( a rate larger than 9), the noise of the motor tracking is also excessive. Even when i reduce the tracking rate, it moves with a maxima excessive velocity. This not happens on the AZM motor. Such problem makes any allignment impossible. I'm a Physics teacher from a little city (Juazeiro do Norte) on the nordest of Brazil. This telescope was acquired with government financial support on the International Year of Astronomy. When it was working, we have used the telescope to make scientific divulgation in my community. So, this telescope was transported to various public places so that people can watch the sky. Send the telescope to tecnical suport in USA is impossible to me due to the costs.

Please, if somebody knows how can i fix the problem myself, help me.

#2 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

Similar to this?

http://www.cloudynig...6095856/page...

I have a new motor on order. It is $82 from Celestron website

#3 wilami

wilami

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Exactly the same problem.

#4 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

I got this response from the Yahoo CPC Group:

"The encoder has stopped working.
You will need to replace the entire motor/gearbox assembly.
There seems to be a problem with the encoders. The LED in the encoder looses contact and stops working. If you pop the cap off the end of the motor where you can see the encoder circuit, you will notice the small pink LED. When you blast it with canned air, the LED will come on. Do NOT use tuner cleaner, it will kill it. I tried re-soldering it and it worked for a time but eventually went out all together. You cannot replace just the encoder circuit board, Celestron only sells the entire motor/gear box assembly as a unit.

Here's the link to the motor:
http://www.celestron...or-alt-dec.html

#5 wilami

wilami

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks a lot. I observed that such led stop working, and sometimes it back to work. I will try to blast it.

#6 wilami

wilami

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

It works. Thanks again! I only touch the red led with a plastic screwdriver and it works again. So, i think that the led contacts need to be re soldered. I dont know how to do this, but with yours help, a identified the problem.

#7 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I am glad to hear that you have had a good out come. At least you know the root of the problem.

#8 wilami

wilami

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

All right until this moment. Trying to obtain M57 pictures right now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics