• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

My neighbor recently got her Father's old Monolux 4380 telescope kit which, according to her, he had inherited from his Father. The kit contains a 60mm, f/15 achromat with an Eq. mount and tripod with wooden legs, along with .965" eyepieces, projection screen and bracket, and erecting prism, all packed in the typical wooden case. Apparently, it was complete, and working fine... until her teenaged son got hold of it. He tried forcing something on the mount, to rotate it, and ended up snapping the lower casting completely off of the bottom plate that screws onto the tripod. This plate also provides the mount's Az adjustment.

Anyway, it was a clean break, but appears to be made of either cast aluminum, or pot metal. Either way, it probably can't be welded, so either the broken part has to be replaced, or the entire mount replaced. Needless to say, she was pretty frustrated by it all, and was ready to just chuck the whole thing at that point!

So, can her Dad's mount be saved, or replaced? Does anyone deal in Monolux parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated, if only to restore a legacy handed down to her Dad by her Grandfather, and then to her by her Dad.

#2 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

That is a very nice scope. Hopefully, someone has some spares. I have one and it would take a good deal of force to break the mount in that way.. Just saying.

#3 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Depending upon where the break is located, it may be salvageable; I've repaired such failures in cast aluminum by using steel pins going into both sides of the break and JB-Weld epoxy. However, there can be a great many variables, and success isn't always assured.

Fred

#4 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well, one thing I might be able to do would be to fabricate another bottom plate, and then attempt to attach the skirt to it. It really is a clean break, failing right around the periphery where the skirt meets the bottom plate! I could easily clean/flatten it with a file, and then figure a way to pin it for mechanical strength, and use J.B. Weld to fill in the gap around the edge. However, if anyone knows where this part can be had, it appears it can be easily replaced.

#5 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Could you post a photo of the broken section of the mount? That would help us find the parts you need.

#6 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

I'll try to post some photos later on, tonight.

Thanks!

#7 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

I was fortunate to have a friend who has a friend who works at a bicycle manufacturer nearby. He "pin welded" this for me.

Steve

Attached Files

#8 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Fixed.

Attached Files

#9 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hard to tell what you are talking about without a photo.

But it sounds like this, available from Sheldon Faworski. Make sure the dimensions match.

Nothing is ever broken... it is just waiting to be fixed. The broken part can be brazed, welded, JB-Welded, sanded and painted. Or replaced.

I'm guessing it is a Towa mount, which appear regularly for sale "as parts". I've restored several Towa mounts using parts from a "as parts" deal.

Good luck.

#10 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for providing that, however that's not the part I need. The part needed is the part on the mount head itself that provides its basic latitude elevation adjustment, and azimuth adjustment, along with the actual interface to the tripod itself.

Unfortunately, while I have the photos ready to go, apparently the software I need to resize them for upload is missing from my computer! I'll need to figure out how this happened, and will try to get the photos up soon.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I'll try to get the photos up soon, and your patience with me in this is greatly appreciated!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics