• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit MI, and Phoenix AZ

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

I just picked up the Orion 9.25 inch Glass solar filter for my 8 inch newt. I got the glass from Amazon, and I noticed that there looks to be a bubble in the glass. I do not think that it is a pinhole, but looks more like a bubble. I obviously want to return it, but Amazon is out of stock now, and the price that I got it for from them is gone. I do not want to return it only to pay more money direct from Orion. So is it safe to view with while I wait for Amazon to get more in to replace it? I figured an imperfection in the glass like that may lead to breakage under the heat of the sun. I was going to take a picture of it to show you, but with the mirror like surface, it did not show up on the pictures. Quite noticeable just looking at it though. :help:

#2 steveward53

steveward53

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

I would return it at once , the main reason I switched to Baader film was the very poor quality of the glass used in this kind of filter , certainly not what you'd call "optical" glass.

#3 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

it's a little scary to look at the sun with any questionable equipment. If it were me I'd probably do this. I'd hold the filter up and look at the sun without the scope, that ways there is no magnification. try to get the sun on the bubble and see if any additional light makes it through. If it doesn't, I'd probably do one more "safety" test. I'd put the filter on the scope, on the eyepiece, point it at the sun, but turn your diagonal towards the side and hold a piece of paper in front of it and see if any real unfiltered sunlight is making it through and projecting onto the plate. You might need to move the scope around a bit to make sure it hits the bubble.

If anything at all doesn't seem safe, I wouldn't put your eye there at all.

another thing you could do would be to make an off axis solar filter. so you'd basically cover the filter with a piece of cardboard which has a circle cut into it over a part of the filter without the bubble. you'd be turning your 8.25 into like a 4 inch or something like that, but again, better safe than sorry when looking at the sun.

I'd probably start the process with amazon too. If it's a quality problem, amazon or the supplier might just do a replacement part, so it's not like your doing a return and a new order at the new price. I use to be an importer/exporter until I had a fight with my girlfriend, so I know someone should be able to get you a replacement filter ;)

Good luck to you sir.

Jim

#4 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

how about putting a piece of black electrical tape over the bubble? just for temporary. You won't see it at the eyepiece. but Amazon will make good for a replacement. They always have for me. don't wait to tell them about it. You won't have to send it back right away either. I think they give you about a month to return it.

Theo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics