Lunar Calendar for Lunatics

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

I wish that someone would publish a calendar devoted entirely to the Moon. I realize that there are computer programs and websites that provide something like this. But IME & IMO, nothing is as convenient as a calendar above your desk.

There would be enough on just the Moon to fill up the days of a calendar. I'd like to see days & times for libration events, when it would be possible to view objects that are close to the limb. I'd also like to see days & times for claires obscures. Also, mark days & times for viewing objects at the terminator. Star occulations and proximity to planets should be included, too.

Sure would be nice. Is there anything like an in-depth Moon calendar available now?

Mike

#2 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

I see there is a thread in the Lunar Forum on "Lunar Guide Book by Day?" In fact I posted to it! :grin: I like that idea, too, but it's not exactly the same as what I'm asking for here.

A Lunar Calendar would be specific to one year, giving days & times for lunar events, not just the lunar day for best viewing of lunar features. Lunar day will get you in the ball park, maybe on the right calendar day if you're lucky, but it won't tell you when the game starts.

:grin:
Mike

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

It should be possible to develop a computer program that would generate a printable calendar listing lunar events for each day. But that ability is behind me now. I haven't written a program for 30 years. Not gonna happen' here.

I bet I've missed a lot of cool lunar shows over the months and years. It's too much work to keep checking the websites that show when claire obscure will occur, or librations will be favorable, etc. It's also not convenient to check computer programs for this information or look them up in a handbook. Having a calendar in front of your face every day would be the best method to follow these lunar happenings.

Mike

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

I've often thought of making an Apollo Calendar for 2014 - the best lighting angle dates plus the actual lighting of the event dates for all the missions. The way it seems to work according to my schedule is I'm lucky to observe the moon at all when I can (which is usually Apollo 15s area. Still ill give it a go.

At anyrate a feature specific calendar would be a fine thing and the timings of best presentation.

Pete

#5 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Well this may not be all that you want, but it's the lunar calendar that I've been publishing for twelve years: www.CurtRenz.com/calendar

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Curt. That's getting there.

:grin:
Mike

#7 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi Mike,

Might not be exactly what you wanted but take a look at CalSky.com, it offers you a couple of options. You'll need to register (I think) then the webpage can use your lat and long to calculate many different options for you. After registering click Moon in the top menu then in the sub menu click Monthly Calendar. You'll have a calendar similar to Curt Renz calendar.

Posted Image

The second option is to choose the Calendar in the top menu, then you can choose any options on the page you'd like to include in your calendar. If you use Outlook or Google you can import the data into your calendar by using "Export to Outlook/iCal".

Here is an example of the data with just Lunar Phenomena checked.

Posted Image

peace & clear skies,

#8 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Thanks, Richard. I'll look into the possibility of printing out each month of the Moon Calendar from CalSky. I really want something in a printed calendar format that I can glance at throughout the month. If the information is somewhere on my computer, on the internet or in a handbook it is too easy to forget to look at it.

The little Moon maps on the calendar might be enough to jog my memory for which lunar features would be visible each night.

On the other hand, my RASC Observer's Calendar already shows a little Moon map for each calendar day, though not as large. :shrug:

Mike

#9 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Here is a website which provides a Lunar Feature Predictor by Akkana Peck. This gives the date and time for the types of features that interest me: crater sunrise / sunset rays and similar clairs obscurs.

Lunar Feature Predictor

If only these events were printed day by day in calendar format. I suppose I could do that by hand for a year in advance on a large format calendar.

Mike

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

This website generates predictions for specific lunar sunrise/sunset crater rays.

LUNAR SUNRISE/SUNSET CRATER RAYS

You can also download a spreadsheet which is presorted by date and time for a location at "the geographical center of the USA (W98.58, N39.83)." Is this UT date and time? Or is it the date and time for the USA at that location? Strange - to me! - that the website does not make this clear.

Again, much useful information, but I wish it could be printed out in calendar format. I look at a calendar every day. I will easily forget to look at a website or a spreadsheet.

Mike

#11 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

NightCal does most of what I want, including librations. http://www.nightcal.co.uk/

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics