SkySafari

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 simagic

simagic

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Just downloaded SkySafari (the basic app) to my phone and there are many things to read."introduction" "basic concepts" and much much more just to figure how to use it. I'm a newbee/novice. I haven't looked at it yet as I've been busy on this site spending tons of time getting lots of good info on eyepieces, magnifications, exit pupil and etc. (which by the way, I've learned quite a bit so far thanks to everyone's help with these subjects). I also have the book "Turn left at Orion". My question is (before I start searching around SkySafari and "possibly getting frustrated due to my novice-ness (my word). Is this app good for us 'newbee's or is it more for the more knowledgeable. ??

#2 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I recently downloaded SkySafari for my Android tablet. In my opinion, it is excellent for both beginners and astronomy old timers. I found it very easy to learn. Once you learn our way around the program some, you will grow into it. Repost in two weeks. If you will work with the program some each day during that time, my bet is that you will be up to speed and often using the software.

#3 rico10

rico10

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Canada

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

It couldn't have been a better choice. I have the Pro Version for the Ipad and am very happy with it, I Use it all the time. Allow the Constellations to show, start to learn a few and whats around them. Best thing you could do for yourself.

#4 OMA

OMA

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Since the view from my backyard is limited by trees it's nice to use to just look at what I might find in that one area available.

Also nice to be able to advance the time in several different increments. I can get home late and look at what might be 'up' in the next few hours.

One thing I did notice is that everything is not there in the cheap version. I was looking at the Heart Nebula on stellarium on the PC, wasn't marked on the cheap version. So I upgraded. :)

#5 Northern Viewer

Northern Viewer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

I have SS plus and I am a huge fan. I recommend it to everyone. The best feature is that you can run it alongside your eyepiece and manipulate it to match what you are seeing. This makes star hopping a lot easier. Now if they would just make an app to get rid of clouds...

#6 Lancem

Lancem

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

I couldn't agree more Northern Viewer. When looking for faint DSOs it is invaluable to be able to compare the view in your eyepiece with that on the screen. It helps you to know the relative size of the object and to pinpoint its position relative to other stars in the fov. But SkySafari does so much more. I control my scope with it via SkyWire to my iPad. And I really enjoy creating custom observing lists and logging my observations on SkySafari while observing. This is an app that will grow with you as you become more experienced.

#7 OMA

OMA

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

I have SS plus and I am a huge fan. I recommend it to everyone. The best feature is that you can run it alongside your eyepiece and manipulate it to match what you are seeing. This makes star hopping a lot easier. Now if they would just make an app to get rid of clouds...

To do this, are you just zooming in at what you're looking at until the FOV in the app is the same FOV you see through the EP? Or is there some built in functionality for this?

#8 MarcusE

MarcusE

Sputnik

• Loc: Eastern Iowa

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

Sky Safari AND Turn Left at Orion two of my favorites.

I have SS+ and use it almost everyday - even if it's cloudy. It may be worth upgrading already. I know, I know.... But with a telescope, the larger database and additional functionality are amazing.

So to answer your question, tap the top right corner for a pop up window with degrees listed. You can use this to quickly zoom to the FOV you want...down to 1*. I can't recall if basic has that function. You can also set Telrad rings to various sizes.

I hope this helps.

Marcus

#9 OMA

OMA

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

^ Ahhh, now I see. :foreheadslap:

I haven't had the app very long...

Thanks!

#10 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

If you are considering more than just the basic version be advised that SS4 is due out in 3-4 months (best guess. I do not know what the purchase price may be if you already have an older version but it might be worth waiting. I have the pro version running on a Galaxy not 8 connected via Bluetooth to my scope. I love its functionality.

#11 OMA

OMA

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have the Pro. I take it that upgrades are not free?

#12 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Not sure if it is free if you already have it. I guess we will have to wait and see.

#13 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

I know there are no special prices to go from one version to the other. I don't know if existing users will get upgrade pricing. They have a FAQ on their website showing previous version upgrades did not get any special pricing unfortunately.

I've been considering going to the pro version from the plus myself so I'll hang tight to see as well. The plus version has most of everything I'd ever want (been using a bit less than a year,but a lot) ,but I just find that with the 16" scope I'm sometimes wishing it showed fainter stars on some objects.

#14 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

I got the low cost android version on my GPS enabled device. Unfortunately the gps function wouldn't work unless there was an internet connection as per SS. I manually input the local GPS coordinates to no avail. It just swirled around randomly no matter what compass direction you were facing. This swirling issue also happens in my front yard where my wireless internet signal works on the device. I was at the Brothers Oregon star party in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if the issue is with the version of SS or just the SS GPS function in general.

In retrospect, I should have just disabled the SS GPS function and manually moved the screen to the area of interest. It's not like I didn't know which direction I was looking at. I got so POed that I just turned off the android device and chucked it back in the car to be ignored the rest of the trip.

#15 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

We have had free upgrades for the past 2 years. With SkySafari 4 you will have to repurchase the app. It is likely we will have a sale the first couple of weeks to help people upgrade.

#16 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

Steve,

This is the Compass feature you are talking about, not the GPS. It sounds like the compass on your device is either not working or is incompatible with SkySafari. You might Google "Android calibrate compass" and follow the instructions you find.

If you can't get it to work, in the Coordinates settings you can turn off the automatic enabling of the compass when it is tilted up to the sky.

#17 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

I'll play around with it again and see what I can accomplish.

#18 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

We have had free upgrades for the past 2 years. With SkySafari 4 you will have to repurchase the app. It is likely we will have a sale the first couple of weeks to help people upgrade.

Bill,

A sale would certainly help out, I just purchased SS pro a couple of months ago. It would be difficult for me to justify purchasing it all over again this early in the game.

#19 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Bill,

I was under the impression that all of these nice new features being released soon will be available on an android platform also. Is this not true?

#20 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

oh very good news. i might upgrade to pro when its out.

#21 labmand

labmand

Messenger

• Loc: Michigan USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Does the plus app run well on a cheap Andeoid device
1gig running 4.0 ? thanks

#22 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

This is how I'd like to use it and I have contemplated purchasing, but I am wondering how bright it is (even with the night-saving red light mode)? I never use a laptop in the field for that reason (i.e., save my night vision).

#23 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Paul put the rubylith film on (from scopestuff.com) and its no problem. with the brightness also turned all the way down i dont even really need "night mode". (this is a first generation nexus 7, kind slow but workable.. hopefully the new versions arent going to be slower!

Posted Image

#24 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

I got the low cost android version on my GPS enabled device. Unfortunately the gps function wouldn't work unless there was an internet connection as per SS. I manually input the local GPS coordinates to no avail. It just swirled around randomly no matter what compass direction you were facing. This swirling issue also happens in my front yard where my wireless internet signal works on the device. I was at the Brothers Oregon star party in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if the issue is with the version of SS or just the SS GPS function in general.

In retrospect, I should have just disabled the SS GPS function and manually moved the screen to the area of interest. It's not like I didn't know which direction I was looking at. I got so POed that I just turned off the android device and chucked it back in the car to be ignored the rest of the trip.

As mentioned, it's the compass, not the GPS that does this. I live on an extinct volcano and with the amount of iron in it, it throws my compass off something terrible. So I just used it in manual mode, but every time I'd go to look in the eyepiece I'd come back and it was all over the place swirling around. Turns out there is a setting for "tilt to turn on compass" or something like that, in coordinates I think. Turn that off and it'll stay in manual mode and then it was quite nice.

#25 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

Paul put the rubylith film on (from scopestuff.com) and its no problem. with the brightness also turned all the way down i dont even really need "night mode". (this is a first generation nexus 7, kind slow but workable.. hopefully the new versions arent going to be slower!

Posted Image

Even with the Rubylith, I still need to run Sky Safari Pro on my Nexus 7 in the night mode with the tablet brightness turned down somewhat to keep it from seriously impacting my night vision. I may eventually put the tablet inside of a fully shielded enclosure that allows hand access and has a top viewing port with a heavily red filtered magnifier to keep the light from getting to anyone viewing. That might also allow the tablet to be used under colder temperatures. Clear skies to you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics