Roman God of War - September 30, 2013

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Although the evening weather in Miami has been predominantly bad, the mornings have been absolutely gorgeous. The interesting (to me) planets are up in the morning now. I'm so excited about the return of Jupiter and Mars that I find myself waking up around 4:00am. Yeah, even my dogs think I'm nuts! Nothing like crystal clear skies, a good cup of coffee and my two favorite planets high in the sky.

Anyway, I have seen the pics and sketches done with big scopes and they are impressive. I thought it would be nice to show what Mars looks like right now using small scopes, in my case a new-to-me 70mm f/12.9 achromat. I thought it would be different and a good addition to my sketches to have one of Mars as it becomes visible and begins approaching us. Although it looks much like a star right now I'm still fascinated observing our neighboring planet. I don't know why.

The information in the sketch lists the mags used, conditions, etc. Thanks for looking.

Ed D

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

I know why. Because Mars is beautiful with lots to offer. :grin:

It's interesting you captured diffraction effects around Mars and note it's appearance to be star-like. Mars is right at the (stellar) Airy disc Diameter of a 70mm aperture ~ 4" arc. I get the same affect on Jovian moons (150mm aperture) for the same reason (plus CO affects.)

Yes, few things are nicer than the peaceful early morning, a cup of hot coffee, and pristine skies. You gotta pay for that experience, though, with a good yawn. There's no free lunch.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ed,

Very nice sketch of Mars. I'm not yet ready for that but soon. It is nice to see it is returning on schedule as we catch up.
Excellent.

Frank :)

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Ed,

Good sketch of Mars :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom