• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Don't worry, the circuits can handle a coffee pot. :p

#27 AsleepAtTheScope

AsleepAtTheScope

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

I notice in the video that pretty much no one is set up over by the observatories. I came early to the 2013 Black Forest star party and noticed the same thing. Is there some reason to avoid being closer to the park entrance?

#28 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Light spillover from vehicles leaving the area across the street, inability to see a good chunk of the northern sky and the high traffic in the area is why we don't set up there.

#29 AsleepAtTheScope

AsleepAtTheScope

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Light spillover from vehicles leaving the area across the street, inability to see a good chunk of the northern sky and the high traffic in the area is why we don't set up there.

Ah! Thanks

#30 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

Also, during the daytime, the public has "discovered" the bathrooms, and there can be frequent drive-ins to use the bathrooms from folks going by on the highway. Although they are not a problem, all of this driving can kick up dust during dry periods.

On the other hand, you are closer to the bathrooms when you set up there, and people leaving their scopes on the field, but staying in a local motel or B&B, can get to their car across the road with a shorter walk.

Personally, I prefer to set up my scopes around the middle of the field, but put my tent under the trees along the west side of the field. That gives the best sky coverage, and is usually the driest part of the field.

#31 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

BTW, I'm still thinking of going to CSSP for one more 3 or 4 night run when the moon goes away. However, the weather guys are saying our warm weather is going away too, and we might start seeing the first wet snowflakes of the year next week, so I need to find my long underwear and winter sleeping bag! :crazy:

#32 Daniel8802

Daniel8802

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sewell, NJ, USA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

I'm kind of excited that it will be cold when I go up, and a chance of snow would be nice too! I will be staying in a cabin so I'm not totally roughing it at least. I'll be staying in kenshire campground and the cabins have heat, electric and hot water.

Those are good points you made about the observatories. Maybe I'll setup one scope in and one scope out of it. But if it we do end up having a nice coating of snow on the ground I'll be glad I reserved one! :)

#33 ischua

ischua

Under the Radar

• Loc: Below Snow Plop WNY

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

From the PA DCNR they are showing these dates for next year

Cherry Springs Star Party
6/26/14 THU 6/29/14 SUN

Black Forest Star Party
8/22/14 FRI 8/24/14 SUN

#34 Daniel8802

Daniel8802

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sewell, NJ, USA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

How have things been up there for people who go when there is not a schedule star party? I am worried that I may have a washed-out sky due to the natural gas drilling. My only hope maybe that (the new campground) I made a reservation for is 40 minutes south of CSSP.

#35 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

From the PA DCNR they are showing these dates for next year

Cherry Springs Star Party
6/26/14 THU 6/29/14 SUN

Black Forest Star Party
8/22/14 FRI 8/24/14 SUN

Going...... :jump:

#36 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

How have things been up there for people who go when there is not a schedule star party? I am worried that I may have a washed-out sky due to the natural gas drilling. My only hope maybe that (the new campground) I made a reservation for is 40 minutes south of CSSP.

I've not been to Cherry Springs, other than a major star party, since last year - when I did two non-party observing runs. However, it's my understanding that, thanks to the low gas prices, drilling in Potter Co is currently close to, or at, nil. Beyond that, any impact would only be a noticeable but limited light pillar near the horizon - certainly not anything like "a washed out sky". You will be hard pressed to find better skies in the eastern half of North America, and a friend who recently went to Oki-Tex told me that in some whys he thinks Cherry Springs is better.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics