Oregon Star Party 2014

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 Mr. AH

Mr. AH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

Many thanks to the committee members, volunteers and attendees for making Oregon Star Party 2014 so successful. Everyone’s contribution made a difference in making the star party fun, safe and memorable.

There were many highlights, including:

• Quite simply, the best observing conditions at Indian Trail Springs in several years.

• The best weather that OSP attendees have seen in years. We had mostly clear skies throughout the entire event. Best of all, there were no wildfires, smoke and/or hazy conditions.

• There were approximately 540 attendees this year.

• Many thanks to all the 50+ volunteers whose hard work during the star party allowed everything to run smoothly.

• Four and Twenty Blackbirds, our newest food service provider, received many compliments for their meals and good customer service. As always, Shawna’s Espresso Blast was a welcome sight, especially her smoothies!

• The speakers were well received. Steve Bryson’s presentation on the Kepler Space Telescope was quite popular.

• Each evening’s Night Telescope Walkabout was completely full and well received. During Mel Bartel’s afternoon Telescope Walkabout, people saw some amazing telescope designs.

• Dave Powell's nightly star talk was well-received yet again this year.

• Thanks to Ken Hose for stepping up to lead the Nature Hike.

• A special thank you to the vendors and donors; they are certainly an integral part of the star party and they’re much appreciated.

• We saw old friends and developed new friendship as well.

As always, Dark Matters at Oregon Star Party! Jim Todd & Tony Hill, OSP co-directors

#52 Mr. AH

Mr. AH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:06 AM

Information on the 2014 Telescope Walkabout can be found at:

• Duxrule likes this

#53 Fatcat

Fatcat

Sputnik

• Loc: Canada

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

The Monday, August 21st, 2017 total solar eclipse was mentioned by one of directors at a tent talk during the OSP. It was a heads up that its going to be a busy year and one not to miss.... to which I agree and already plan on attending.

My question is will attendance numbers at this site be moderated by either the government or the organizers like the Table mt star party?

Also I know its a long way off but as the circumstances are unusual have star party dates been discussed?

Thanks!

#54 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

I've looked at the path the 2017 solar eclipse will take and it looks like the OSP site will be inside and very near the Southern edge of the path. The center line is further North if you want maximum dwell time in the umbra.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics