ST-4 compatible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Muledeer

Muledeer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

I am trying to upgrade my auto guiding setup.
Current setup is a Pictor201XT output through RJ12 cable to a #520 Electronic Relay that outputs to the telescope hand controller. Meade techs hard wired the relay output cable to the hand controller.

The pinout from the Pictor is
1. +5v
2. Ground
3. Left
4 Up
5. Down
6. Right

What I would like to upgrade to is a modern auto guider, with a USB cable to laptop, having PHD app, and the RJ12 output from the auto guider camera plug into the 520 Relay box.
But all new guilders interesting me are ST-4 compatible with a pinout of
1. NC
2. Ground
3. Left
4. Up
5. Down
6. Right

Can I do the new configuration by simply switching the pin connection for 4 and 5 on the Rj12 cable?
Or is there more to it? Will the new camera output activate the hand controller?
I am not very knowledgeable of electronics and do not want to fry anything.

#2 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

I am trying to upgrade my auto guiding setup.
Current setup is a Pictor201XT output through RJ12 cable to a #520 Electronic Relay that outputs to the telescope hand controller. Meade techs hard wired the relay output cable to the hand controller.

The pinout from the Pictor is
1. +5v
2. Ground
3. Left
4 Up
5. Down
6. Right

What I would like to upgrade to is a modern auto guider, with a USB cable to laptop, having PHD app, and the RJ12 output from the auto guider camera plug into the 520 Relay box.
But all new guilders interesting me are ST-4 compatible with a pinout of
1. NC
2. Ground
3. Left
4. Up
5. Down
6. Right

Can I do the new configuration by simply switching the pin connection for 4 and 5 on the Rj12 cable?
Or is there more to it? Will the new camera output activate the hand controller?
I am not very knowledgeable of electronics and do not want to fry anything.

Welcome to CN

What mount?

In your description, the only difference I see is # 1. (+5v & NC)

I thought the pictor was an ST4?

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

ST-4 is the model number of a guide camera once produced by SBIG. The Pictor cameras are ST-4 compatible. No need to worry about reversing up/down or left/right; they are dependent of optical design and camera rotation anyway. The only issue will be the Meade relay box. That will require a power source. Most modern cameras aren't rigged to supply that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics