• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jupiter122

jupiter122

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, MA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

I find the factor included red dot finder on my Nexstar 8SE to be a bit temperamental to use. The alt and azimuth knobs seem tight and using them results in movement of the finder against the dovetail mounting bracket rather than through the intended fine alt/az controls. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

Clear skies!

#2 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

After a while, I ditched the stock finder and went with a telrad. Easier to look through and adjust in my experience. I use a rechargeable AA on my telrad which makes it reusable instead of replacing a button type batteries even though I think they last a while. Since winter is coming, i'm sure low temp will affect the stock battery and a reusable/rechargeable batteries will come in handy.

#3 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hey jupiter122, Welcome to the cloud. I have to say that I found the red dot finder that came with my 8se was not at all usable and trashed it after the first time out. Switched to the telrad by the next viewing session. I have used telrads since the early 90's,love and swear by 'em.

#4 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I'm probably the only one still using the RDF. You need to seat the finder in its dovetail correctly then do the adjustment. Try aligning it during the day to make it a bit easier. I've yet to change the battery and the scope is 4 years old. Sometimes I forget to turn it off for hours.

#5 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

I too had no problems with the aligning or accuracy of the RDF.

As James suggests, daytime alignment seems to work best. Once aligned, it always did, as far as I was concerned, the job it was designed to do.

I only changed to a RACI finder because I found it difficult to get into the positions that were sometimes needed to use it successfully.

Regards. Peter.

#6 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

The AZ/AL adjustments on the finder are relative to it's own base plate. It does not match the mount as it is positioned to the side. It will be similar but not a direct match. The daytime alignment is best on something like a distant light post.

#7 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

I like the red dot. What I don't like is the mount for it, it would come loose if bumped. I switched to an Orion EZ finder because of the better attachment.

#8 Doug Michel

Doug Michel

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lincoln, NE

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

I could never get my RDF to align properly without installing a shim to lower the front end. I eventually gave up and got a telrad, and it is far superior.

#9 hawk

hawk

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

I've been using the RDF since I got my 8SE earlier this year, and I've had no problems. As James and others say, you have to seat it correctly first, but I've had no problems with it going out of alignment at all. (At least after my muscle memory figured out where the on/off/brightness switch was so I stopped adjusting its position accidentally.)

#10 Crazyhorse1876

Crazyhorse1876

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

+1 on no problems with my 8SE RDF.
I also found this plastic zipper bag that some brushes came in around the house and it is now a dust cover for my RDF.

Attached Files

#11 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

there is absolutely nothing fancy about the included RDF on the SE telescopes - it works - but nowhere close as good as a telrad does. for under 40 bucks, a telrad is the best thing in my opinion. wouldnt own a scope without one.

personally, i really like the red-dot finders over an optical finder. but the included one on the SE is.... well.... acceptable. Get a Telrad.

#12 Crazyhorse1876

Crazyhorse1876

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Left Coast U.S.A.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Ok...after I do a Two Star Alignment with the RDF, get "Align Successful" on the HC and then turn the RDF off other than "looking cool" on my OTA what do I "need" a Telrad for? And I'm all for having cool looking stuff mounted on my OTA just wonder why the push for the Telrad on a GoTo 8SE. I'm not going to be star hopping anytime soon with it I'm thinking but I'm still new with only 10 months into backyard astronomy.

Thanks,
Crazy.

#13 hawk

hawk

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm with you; I use the RDF to get 2 (or 3) stars into field of view of the eyepiece. Then I turn it off.

Of course, a Telrad is obviously better in most cases and not particularly expensive, so I see the appeal. But if I upgraded from the RDF, I'd probably consider a laser pointer, as it's probably the easiest and most comfortable to use, and it would probably help me learn the sky a bit better. Plus, if I ever got a big manual scope, I could use the 8SE+GLP as a locator. But for the moment, my demands on the RDF are so small, it fulfills its purpose with no problems.

#14 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

I thought about replacing my RDF, but it works for me. If it dies, then I might look at a Telrad. I can't use a GLP. I live too close to an airport.

#15 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

I only changed to a RACI finder because I found it difficult to get into the positions that were sometimes needed to use it successfully.

Regards. Peter.

I know the mods are going to rip me, but I kind of enjoy getting into those positions :rainbow:! At least while I still can.

#16 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

I like the red dot on my NexStar 5SE so much that I got another one just like it to put on my CPC1100. Seriously, the finder is used a whole 3 minutes to find 2 stars and then shut off.

#17 Bob_B

Bob_B

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

My only gripe with the Celestron RDF is that it is a pain to look thru when the scope is pointed near vertical (at least on my 130slt). I have cobbled a small mirror to the 'ocular' to prevent neck strain, which helps.

#18 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

My only gripe with the Celestron RDF is that it is a pain to look thru when the scope is pointed near vertical (at least on my 130slt). I have cobbled a small mirror to the 'ocular' to prevent neck strain, which helps.

That is pretty much my only complaint with them as well,Bob. The same can be said by me when using a Telrad. For using this design scope or a refractor for viewing primarily at the zenith,I prefer a RACI finder.

Overall I like a RDF.

#19 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Regards. Peter.

I know the mods are going to rip me, but I kind of enjoy getting into those positions :rainbow:! At least while I still can.

:funny:

You wicked wicked man you. :rofl2:

Regards. Peter.

#20 jupiter122

jupiter122

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, MA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Once I have the RDF aligned with the scope, it works fairly well. (I almost always try to align them during the day.) It's getting them aligned that is the issue, since, as I say, the alt/az controls are balky.

#21 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

I'm at a loss trying to figure out why the finder would ever need to come off a NexStar SE scope...

My RDF has never been removed from my NexStar 5SE, and the 2nd RDF has never come off my CPC1100.

#22 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

My rdf on my 6SE and 102GT work fine. It is simple, does the job, and never have to be realigned once done once on my 6SE. I have never used other more expensive finders so dont know why it is so much "better" for what it does but i would rather not know so i will not have to spend the extra $$. Just like i have never looked through a real premium eyepiece because my modestly priced eyepieces works okay. Ignorance is bliss ;)

#23 Gary Z

Gary Z

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

I replaced the RDF with the baader planetarium Sky Surfer III. It's a bit bigger, but adjustments actually work well.
http://www.adorama.c...CFenm7Aod2BkAcw

#24 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

I find the factor included red dot finder on my Nexstar 8SE to be a bit temperamental to use. The alt and azimuth knobs seem tight and using them results in movement of the finder against the dovetail mounting bracket rather than through the intended fine alt/az controls. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions?

Clear skies!

I junked mine too and put an 8x50 Celestron finder on mine.

#25 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

I have a Telrad on my dob, but never felt the need to upgrade the RDF on my nexstar 8se. It seems to work just fine. I can get it aimed pretty accurately. So when I slew the scope to a star using the RDF, the star always shows up around the middle of the ep. I only use it at the start of each session for an alignment. A bracket for a laser pointer would be pretty cool.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics