21st Century Atlas of the Moon

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#26 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Ordered the book about a week ago from the web site. Talked to a lady the next day on the phone and was told it was shipping thw following day. Got a letter via snail mail today : Backordered, not shipped!

REALLY hate being mis-lead/lied to by a vendor!!!

Emailed them about my dis-pleasure, doubt they care.

#27 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

I doubt they misled you deliberately.

#28 Albert

Albert

• *----
  • Loc: Redwood City, CA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

So, which method of ordering allows one to request a signature by the author?
Thanks.
Albert

#29 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

According to this order page for the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon the 2nd printing began in June 2013. At least I hope that is the case, since I ordered one a few days ago. :)

peace & clear skies,

I'd be interested to know whether or not this second printing clears up the typos and such that crept into the first run.

#30 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I mentioned this somewhere else, but...

The 21st Century Atlas is a perfect companion for reading "Modern Moon". I just re-read MM, and by chance used the atlas with it. Killer! They used to bundle MM and Rukl in a slipcase; but this would be the better pairing now (no disrespect to Rukl, which is still king IMO).

#31 TomCorbett

TomCorbett

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

I agree with Rick--21st Century Atlas and Modern Moon are the best lunar companions I have run across.

#32 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ordered the book about a week ago from the web site. Talked to a lady the next day on the phone and was told it was shipping thw following day. Got a letter via snail mail today : Backordered, not shipped!

Another week goes by, no book and no response from the vendor on status.

#33 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

I too would like to order the 21st Century Atlas of the Moon. But I don't see an option to buy it directly from the author. Looks like he has handed off duties to that university press. And they are out of stock at the moment. I guess Modern Moon is out of print too ?

#34 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Another week goes by, no book and no response from the vendor on status.

Bump! Yet another week goes by. Sent another note asking status with NO response. NOT THE WAY i LIKE DOING BUSINESS!! Let the buyer beware----indeed!

#35 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

I've never heard of so many issues getting a in print book. I wanted to order one but........

#36 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

Why don't you guys just email Chuck Wood and ask how to get one?

#37 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

I started this thread because I was having trouble finding the book and was pointed to the distributor, who is turning out to be less than a 'stand up' player. Now it's important to me to let others know that the distributor is not shipping the book and is not responding to queries. I wish someone before me had done the same.

#38 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Does that mean you have contacted Wood?

#39 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

Does that mean you have contacted Wood?

Wood is the books author. He is not the distributer I am dealing with. This hasn't been about Wood since I placed my order with West Virginia University Press, they told me the book would ship the following day (over 3 weeks ago now) and took my CC number. I see informing potential buyers about past experiences with a vendor as a good thing to do.

#40 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well sure; but if you actually want an atlas, try contacting Wood.

#41 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Can you PM me his email ? I didn't see any way to contact him directly from this page, but maybe I missed it. Thanks.

http://lpod.wikispac...las of the Moon

#42 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

I guess not. It used to be in his S&T column, but not this month; and it's not in the Atlas, either. If it's not on the web page, maybe he's not advertising it any more. Sorry I brought it up!

#43 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

As an alternative, I would highly recommend the Reiseatlas Mond from Oculum-Verlag, Germany. This high-resolution photographical atlas is based on Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter images. Economically priced at 29,90 Euros (plus shipping), in my opinion this is the best ring-bound and laminated Moon atlas money can buy today.

Chart Key

Sample Pages

Publisher's webpage Reiseatlas Mond, German only, use Google Translate to read.

Do not miss it out!

Stephan

#44 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

As an alternative, I would highly recommend the Reiseatlas Mond from Oculum-Verlag, Germany. This high-resolution photographical atlas is based on Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter images. Economically priced at 29,90 Euros (plus shipping), in my opinion this is the best ring-bound and laminated Moon atlas money can buy today.

Chart Key

Sample Pages

Publisher's webpage Reiseatlas Mond, German only, use Google Translate to read.

Do not miss it out!

Stephan

Wow, if this were in English and available from a site I could understand, I'd order immediately. I like the fact that the map scale is smaller (more like Rukl) and I also like the fact that most visible features are labeled. Also, I like the greyed-out border areas of each map section that show features from neighboring map sections.

With 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (21CAOTM), while I like it and use it regularly, I was disappointed with the larger map scale and smaller number of labels (compared to Rukl). Consequently, I typically use both 21CAOTM and Rukl with me at the scope. Also the treatment of map borders in both is an annoyance. In the case of the 21CAOTM, I found it incredible that the area including Copernicus was split up over four different map sections!

#45 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Wow, if this were in English and available from a site I could understand, I'd order immediately.

Paul,

The German publisher, Oculum-Verlag, welcomes international customers. Just send your English-written inquiry to bestellung@oculum.de

Another highly recommended source is Intercon Spacetec, Germany, e-mail: info@intercon-spacetec.de

Attention, do not order from Amazon.com, since the risk is high that they will sell a "Perfect Paperback Copy" (POD) to you.
If you want the real McCoy, buy either from Oculum-Verlag or Intercon-Spacetec. Both offer good and reliable service.

Stephan

#46 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

With 21st Century Atlas of the Moon (21CAOTM), while I like it and use it regularly, I was disappointed with the larger map scale and smaller number of labels (compared to Rukl). Consequently, I typically use both 21CAOTM and Rukl with me at the scope. Also the treatment of map borders in both is an annoyance. In the case of the 21CAOTM, I found it incredible that the area including Copernicus was split up over four different map sections!

But, the images in the 21st Century Atlas are just soooooo beautiful! It's not the all-in-one Lunar atlas; but it should be part of every Lunar observer's arsenal.

#47 Rick M.

Rick M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

How does it compare to the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas?

Rick

#48 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

But, the images in the 21st Century Atlas are just soooooo beautiful! It's not the all-in-one Lunar atlas; but it should be part of every Lunar observer's arsenal.

Absolutely!!!

#49 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yes. I also agree with your previous comment about 21st Century Atlas of the Moon being a great pairing with Modern Moon.

#50 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

How does it compare to the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas?

Rick

It seems Cambridge concentrates on smaller, narrower fields of view, mostly on individual objects and formations!
21st Cent Atlas concentrates on a wider swath of Lunar real estate, then pinpoints with images of individual topics of interest. I personally think 21st Cent Atlas is more an "All-round"atlas. Both books have a valued place in my astronomical library......but I think 21st Cent Atlas is better to use at the eyepiece!!!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics