CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone else catch the double transit this morning?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Weather down here in 'Sunny South Florida' continues to be horrendous. However, this morning at 4:30am (UT -4) wasn't that bad so I set up my little Vixen, made a cup of coffee, and started observing Jupiter through the only decent open spot in the sky. I noticed that one of the moons was near the planet and I was in for a little treat. What surprised me was when I realized that I was observing a double transit. Io's shadow was pretty distinct, while Ganymede's shadow was less prominent and a little harder to observe, at least in my 70mm achro and not so great conditions.

Good thing the clouds finally drifted enough to obscure my view of Jupiter. I didn't realize just how long I had been outside observing this double transit treat. I had to rush through my morning routine to try to make it to work on time.

So, was anyone else lucky enough to catch this?

Ed D

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

There is a fantastic pic of the transit HERE in the Solar System Imaging forum.

Ed D

#3 C_Moon

C_Moon

Apollo

• Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

I also viewed this morning and thought it was a double shadow transit as well. Turns out it was Ganymede transiting and Io's shadow!

I have never seen a moon transit that was that dark before. Usually I "lose" the moons after shortly after they move past the limb.

I'm not sure if I ever saw a Ganymede transit before. Is it always that noticeable as it traverses the disk of Jupiter?

I did not notice that Ganymede was over Oval BA, but I did think that the shape of the transiting Ganymede was not quite circular, so perhaps I was seeing some detail of Oval BA superimposed next to Ganymede?

By the way, I also saw a prominent white spot (almost looked like a bubble to me) in the equatorial band. From looking at the image you linked to, I believe it was the large festoon/plume NE of the shadow.

#4 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Paul, you're right, it was Ganymede transiting and Io's shadow. I found a pic that was taken later than my observation. It showed the two moons off to the side of the planet, and Ganymede casting a shadow. It figures that I can't find it now! If I do come across it again I'll post a link.

In the transits I have observed the moons look like bright disks and the shadows are inky black. This is the first time I have observed a moon that looked a fuzzy pale grey.

I also noticed the feature right next to Ganymede, which later I identified as the Oval BA from the pic. Howver, I didn't see the white spot in my scope, but doubt I would have in a 70mm achro.

It was a great way to start the day, observing something I had not seen before.

Ed D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics