Photo

DSS noise study in OneNote--What do you think?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nine44

nine44

Ranger 4

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

One thing that has frustrated me with the image calibration process is my own lack of understanding of the stacking parameters within DSS. Despite all of the good advice here on CN, it still feels like I'm randomly picking stacking options and have never really understood what is going on in terms of effect on image output.

I have spent a few cloudy nights trying to better understand the effects of DSS stacking options as well as the effect of temperature matching, using darks, etc on final image output. I've been documenting the options I have used along with a stretched, cropped version of each image of M31 in Microsoft OneNote.

It is all the same data (taken over 3 nights)stacked in DSS using various parameters. While it's impossible to do a full factorial design of experiments with all variables, I tried to capture many of the commonly used ones options in DSS.

I thought I'd share the document I have put together so far and ask for folks input. Is this helpful to anyone else?

What have I missed?

https://skydrive.liv...thkey=!ABOrg...

#2 Craig H

Craig H

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Casey --

Great effort so far. It's obvious you've put in a lot of effort into this. As you said, it would be tedious to do a full-factorial, but I think you've covered most of the bases. It's tough (at least for me) to evaluate the 'best' method from looking at your various pictures. How are you going to evaluate them? Are all of these pictures stretched the same amount?

Finally, I've 'heard' (on the internet, so it must be true!) that Kappa-Sigma with clipping is the 'best' if you have 20 subs or more. It'll be interesting to see if your DOE bears that out. Also I wonder if it'd be worth drilling down into the options of the Kappa-Sigma menu to see what effect the number of iterations has...

Thanks for your effort and willingness to share.

Craig.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics