• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve C.

Steve C.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

The vicissitudes of age have been catching up with me. While I dearly love my 5" AP, horsing the G11 mount and Berlebach tripod around is not as much fun as it used to be. So I'm picking up a CPC 800 HD tomorrow.

I've heard nothing but accolades here for the optical quality, and I'm primarily visual with some light imaging. I'm looking forward to first light with my new gear.

#2 Chris Greene

Chris Greene

Viking 1

• Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm looking forward to your review too, especially as you have a high end apo to compare it to.

While I have a GEM that would support up to the 9 1/4 tube, I must admit being intrigued with the CPC mount.

#3 Steve C.

Steve C.

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Got it today, and I put it together. First impressions - good out-of-the-box experience, easy to set up. Fit and finish are superb.

First light may not be until tomorrow. Weather forecast for this evening isn't good.

Attached Files

#4 Steve C.

Steve C.

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

Oh, and it passed the CAT scan.

Attached Files

#5 Steve C.

Steve C.

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

I finally got a chance to give the CPC 800 first light last night, and I'm quite happy with it. This was a public viewing night at the George Obs. and a just past full moon night, so I didn't have a chance to give it a real workout.

Anyway, setup was easy. I used the Baader Click Lock so I could use my 2" diagonal, and I used the Right Angle finder I had acquired a few years ago in place of the stock finder.

First target was Venus, which I did without the benefit of alignment. Very pretty.

After it darkened a bit, I went through the SkyAlign process and it worked perfectly. I settled on the Double Cluster for my main object (the moon wiping out so much of the sky) and I had appreciative "ooohs" from the public.

I don't think I'll go as far as to call the view refractor-like, but the stars were pinpoint, and it's the best view I've had through an SCT. I used a 35mm Panoptic.

Attached Files

#6 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Congratulations Steve, It looks great.

Enjoy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics