Gravity

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Just saw this Sandra Bullock/George Clooney movie in IMAX 3D format. The story was an action packed thriller, and make Apollo 13 look tame. Definitely show the risk of space. The 3D and action are spectacular. Don't want to give the movie away but I recommend it for everyone. Prepare to be thrilled.

P>S> If my wife an kids want to see it, I will attempt to get them to go with the moving seats and widescreen, making it a different experience.

#2 RichardHK

RichardHK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

+1 on Gravity. I could only watch it in plain 3D (not IMAX) but what a wonderful experience nonetheless. The realism is wonderful. And great to see the 'ISS' and other hardware up close!

#3 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

+1-plain 3d here too.
WOW. just WOW!!!

#4 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

I saw it in 3D and loved it too. Astronaut, Mike Massimino tweets that the inside of the shuttle, tools, etc are an exact replica of his last shuttle mission. Included is a #8 drill used to repair the Hubble he affectionately called Yogi after Yogi Berra as that was his baseball jersey number.

#5 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

I want to see this movie but 3D doesn't work for me. :(

Rich (RLTYS)

#6 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

too predictable for me.
a coworker saw it, i told him what my guess for the ending was, and i was right. i am one of the rare few that love astronomy, but hates sci-fi.
No star track wars for me!

#7 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

too predictable for me.
a coworker saw it, i told him what my guess for the ending was, and i was right. i am one of the rare few that love astronomy, but hates sci-fi.

Preach it, brother! :grin:

I too approach amateur astronomy from a distinctly starship-less, lightsaber-less perspective.

As for "Gravity", it looks to be yet another one-worlder pep rally... no thanks.

#8 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I saw it in 3D and loved it too. Astronaut, Mike Massimino tweets that the inside of the shuttle, tools, etc are an exact replica of his last shuttle mission. Included is a #8 drill used to repair the Hubble he affectionately called Yogi after Yogi Berra as that was his baseball jersey number.

Sounds like great fun. I'll bet it's spectacular in 3-D!

#9 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

I want to see this movie but 3D doesn't work for me. :(

Rich (RLTYS)

My eye doctor says this month they wil be coming out with prescription eyeglasses that have polarizing, 3D polarizing, and yellow clip options. This could be good news for those that really need prescription glasses to watch movies.

#10 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

too predictable for me.

I did not think it was predictable at all.

#11 opticsguy

opticsguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

I thought the movie sucked . . . .

:jump: :roflmao: :lol: :rainbow:

#12 starbux

starbux

Messenger

• Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

I thought the movie sucked . . . .

Elaborate please....

Nothing wrong with a negative review as long as one can get specific.

#13 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

too predictable for me.

You predicted Tiangong-3 and Shenzhou? You're good! Hey do you mind hooking me up with some lottery numbers?

obin :lol:

#14 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beyond the Ort Cloud and Second Star to the Right

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

PLEASE, do "NOT" tell the details or should I say plot of this movie.. It will distroy my and others plans to go see this movie!

#15 bobhen

bobhen

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

After reading nothing but excellent reviews I went to see the film last weekend.

The good:
Visually quite good. Realistic in that you believe you are in space. Yes there are some moments when you say “that couldn’t happen” or ‘that is wrong”, but this is a movie after all. Overall the film moves quickly and there are no real dead spots. The acting is proficient.

The not so good:
The script is poor. The Clooney character is a cliché, a typical “right stuff” astronaut.
The backstory of Sandra’s character is really just a cheep trick in order to manipulate the audience and garner sympathy for her character. As if being in a life or death situation wasn’t enough. There is basically no story except “will she survive’? We have all seen movies like this (lost at sea, lost in the mountains, etc.) this one just takes place in space. You could make a film of a skydiver falling while trying to open his parachute and it would have the same effect - will the shoot open or not is the only question.

The film could have been MUCH better if in the first 15 minutes the Clooney character was a Russian and conflict, dislike, and distain was established between the Russian character and Sandra’s character. That conflict would have delivered more of a story while the two characters found a way to overcome their differences and save each other. That film would have been more than just a “will she survive” film. But as we have seen, special effects (even realistic special effects) have replaced story instead of enhancing the story. Why? Because these days it’s easier to do CGI than write a compelling story with compelling human conflict and character development. More CGI and less dialog also sells better overseas.

Bob

#16 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Dude, "Gravity sucks". Get it?

#17 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Looks like a typical "submarine" movie with single man submarines...

#18 helpwanted

helpwanted

Skylab

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

i got the gravity sucks part, don't get the one man submarine though???

#19 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

It was a good visual spectacle (and gives a few things to think about, like just how dangerous spaceflight really is), but as a whole, I was kind of disappointed in GRAVITY (even in 3D). In a nutshell, not a lot of story to be had there, which was (other than the rather obvious orbital goofups) probably the biggest problem with the movie. As space movies go, it was definitely inferior to both Apollo 13 and the HBO space series "From The Earth To The Moon". I think that if it had been at an IMAX 3D theater, I would have rather sat through seeing MAGNIFICENT DESOLATION again rather than seeing Gravity one more time. Clear skies to you.

#20 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Instead of everyone being in the same sub, they're in their own individual space suits.

Standard issue Submarine movies end up with everyone trapped, running out of air, rescue uncertain etc. etc...

Instead of U-Boats, they have space debris.

Everything old, is new again in Hollywood.

#21 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'll probably see it, but I'll brace myself for the massive science failures (skip on over to ISS from Hubble, the completely wrong reason for a certain player to meet their demise...). As Morbo the Annihillator would say: "GRAVITY DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!" Neil Degrasse Tyson laid out the biggest flaw: why would a medical doctor even be on a mission to repair the Hubble Space telescope?

#22 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

The movie is science fiction, not science. Expect entertainment not edification. The cinematography is nice eye candy but it's not as beautiful as the IMAX Hubble Blu-ray 3D movie.

#23 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

The movie is science fiction, not science. Expect entertainment not edification. The cinematography is nice eye candy but it's not as beautiful as the IMAX Hubble Blu-ray 3D movie.

I'm with you. Sure, I'd love to see more sci-fi movies as thought-provoking as 2001, but there's nothing wrong with a good popcorn movie now and then, especially one that's nice eye candy and makes a good effort to be realistic.

#24 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

It was a good visual spectacle (and gives a few things to think about, like just how dangerous spaceflight really is), but as a whole, I was kind of disappointed in GRAVITY (even in 3D). In a nutshell, not a lot of story to be had there

That's the nutshell, all right. The Desperate Situation is something the hero(ine) finds themselves in while pursuing the plot line. In this case, that's all there was - the Situation, and no story to go along with it.
Still, it was OK. But I won't be buying it.

#25 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Even though there were a handful of technical NASA issues, it's definitely worth seeing!! GO FOR LAUNCH!!! :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics